Col de la Bonette and Col de Cayolle

Oh you lucky lucky man,:bow one of my favourite areas in the Alps, we have stopped in this châteaux

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ausiers_Alpes_de_Haute_Provence_Provence.html

just outside Jausiers at the foot of Col De Cayolle a few times, one morning we woke to a sharp frost and everything was white, the col was was closed until lunchtime so we sat around the pool and watched the world warm up, stunning.:thumb2

Aha, so it's a hotel. It's a pretty impressive little Chateau from the outside. At the foot of the Col de la Bonette though? If it's the one I saw...
Yesterday the woman at the baker in Barcelonette said it was 3C at 6:30 when she turned up for work so feck knows what the temperature at the top would have been.:eek:

Cheers.../Rob

Great pics and report as ever Rob :thumb2
It's been a while since I was down that way with the bike, must try and get back down that way soon :bow

2012:D:nenau

Awesome pics

I went over the Glossglockner 5-6 years ago and the views/clarity were similar and the locals said that it was a very special day, only happens 1 or 2 times per year............................I felt the privilege

Oooff, well I hope the sun shines for you on yer next trip. The photos are great (IMHO) :D but they don't really capture the scale of things. It really was a most enjoyable day oot...Good luck :thumb2

Rob

Rob

Do you know the story behind the abondoned buildings on the col de la Bonnette there were some signs but all in French:nenau?

Dave

I'll have a chat with Humvee and we'll drag Cookie along, maybe some of his associates too

2012 - Route Napoleon and Gorges Du Verdon - I fancy that:thumb

Ayup Johnny

I thought you may have been at Banham this year?

The road from Gap all the way to Castellane is fantastic. The 'route Napolean'.

Did it last year. Franco, did we meet in Castellane last year?

Excellent RR and photos Franco. Ill be in this area in 6 weeks time. I hope the weather is as good as it was for you :beer:

Great photos, still on my to do list but maybe next.....

Rob

Do you know the story behind the abondoned buildings on the col de la Bonnette there were some signs but all in French:nenau?

Dave

Mais ils faut que tu apprendre le Francais :) This is taken from the French Wikipedia site for the buildings (Camp des Fourches) and translated for you :D

Used as a site of camp as early as 1890, the camp was built between 1896 and 1910 and improved until the second world war.
The set consists of twenty-six small buildings, including 20 almost identical with the appearance of cottages but, given the difference of the materials used, would certainly not been built at the same time. Some time later they added a cable car and a command post with a mess for officers and an optical telegraph office upstairs.
These cottages were used primarily for housing and could accommodate a battalion of four Alpine companies of 150 men who were living in austere conditions. The camp was equipped with kitchens, storerooms, toilets and a bread oven. The cable car, built in the thirties, which connected the village of Pra, would allow for re-supplying or evacuation of casualties (The cable car was destroyed in 2005 to allow for the widening of the road at the entrance the village). Stables were used to house the mules.
The camp was permanently occupied, but during the winter there was a reduced charge just to guard the road, traffic between the chalets was managed by tunnels under the snow on wooden boardwalks.
An esplanade south of the position also allowed to erect tents in summer.
Although located close to the outpost of the Col du Fourches which was attacked in June 1940 and September 1944, it does not appear that the camp itself was affected by the fighting.

Rob

Ayup Johnny

I thought you may have been at Banham this year?

The road from Gap all the way to Castellane is fantastic. The 'route Napolean'.

Did it last year. Franco, did we meet in Castellane last year?

We did, I came up one evening for a quick bite at the restaurant in Castellane, then dropped a few folks back at the campsite. Tall, ruggedly handsome, Scottish bloke, but then it was dark so maybe you didn't notice :augie

Rob

Mais ils faut que tu apprendre le Francais :) This is taken from the French Wikipedia site for the buildings (Camp des Fourches) and translated for you :D

Used as a site of camp as early as 1890, the camp was built between 1896 and 1910 and improved until the second world war.
The set consists of twenty-six small buildings, including 20 almost identical with the appearance of cottages but, given the difference of the materials used, would certainly not been built at the same time. Some time later they added a cable car and a command post with a mess for officers and an optical telegraph office upstairs.
These cottages were used primarily for housing and could accommodate a battalion of four Alpine companies of 150 men who were living in austere conditions. The camp was equipped with kitchens, storerooms, toilets and a bread oven. The cable car, built in the thirties, which connected the village of Pra, would allow for re-supplying or evacuation of casualties (The cable car was destroyed in 2005 to allow for the widening of the road at the entrance the village). Stables were used to house the mules.
The camp was permanently occupied, but during the winter there was a reduced charge just to guard the road, traffic between the chalets was managed by tunnels under the snow on wooden boardwalks.
An esplanade south of the position also allowed to erect tents in summer.
Although located close to the outpost of the Col du Fourches which was attacked in June 1940 and September 1944, it does not appear that the camp itself was affected by the fighting.

Rob

Hi Rob

Many thanks, we wandered what they were all about:thumb2. We stayed here:

http://www.leprejoly.com/eng_hotel.htm

last year, cheap and cheerful. Might stay there again this year for a night if we don't find anything else:nenau

Dave

That looks alright, nice terrace :D If I were staying in the area on holiday, I'd prefer Barcelonette as it's got direct access to the Cols Allos, Cayolle, Bonette, Vars, and not too far from Parpaillon, Col d'Agnel etc More of a proper town centre too. Saint Vallier de Thiey is fine, but a bit restricted with not many bars and restaurants etc. It's about 20 minutes from St Vallier to where we live :)
When are you coming down?

Rob

Alps looking good

Look a great time of year to visit
We are going August

August will be nice and warm :D I'll be hitting the Alps in a couple of weeks again after a visit to Le Mans...:thumb2

Great report, be there early September, got 2 nights in Risoul before heading south to Menton - can't wait (well I can as gotta pay of last weeks diving holiday first :blast)

That looks alright, nice terrace :D If I were staying in the area on holiday, I'd prefer Barcelonette as it's got direct access to the Cols Allos, Cayolle, Bonette, Vars, and not too far from Parpaillon, Col d'Agnel etc More of a proper town centre too. Saint Vallier de Thiey is fine, but a bit restricted with not many bars and restaurants etc. It's about 20 minutes from St Vallier to where we live :)
When are you coming down?

Rob

Start trip last week of June we are going to Germany, Austria and Switzerland 1st:clap. Then heading to Valloire before heading down towards Grasse but if it's too hot we will stay in the mountains more. We are then heading to the Milau bridge then back up through the Masif Central. All accomodation apart from the 2 nights in your area are booked. 15 days of sunshine:cool: Should be about 3.5K miles:bounce1

Dave

Great report, be there early September, got 2 nights in Risoul before heading south to Menton - can't wait (well I can as gotta pay of last weeks diving holiday first :blast)

Should still be lovely in early September, plus it's the end of the French school holidays, so it will be nice and quiet. Enjoy :D

Rob

Start trip last week of June we are going to Germany, Austria and Switzerland 1st:clap. Then heading to Valloire before heading down towards Grasse but if it's too hot we will stay in the mountains more. We are then heading to the Milau bridge then back up through the Masif Central. All accomodation apart from the 2 nights in your area are booked. 15 days of sunshine:cool: Should be about 3.5K miles:bounce1

Dave

Hi Dave, as long as you're not looking for accomodation right on the coast in July there should be plenty options available. July starts to get busy round here, but nowhere near as bad as August. If I were you, I would stay in the mountains. The coast is OK, but it's just the coast. The Alps are where the biking is at :thumb

Rob

Rob

Thanks for all your posts and pictures, confirms for Julie and i that we must make this part of France our 2012 holiday destination . Already got the Dolomites trip planned for this year.
Thanks for posting, keep up the good work.:thumb2

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom