Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Workshop - Less talking more work. Bikes left on the benches for hours unattended while bikes sat waiting to be worked on. I thought there was an orderly queue of bikes but it seemed just a free for all, get your bike on the bench then piss off for a chat. . There was only one workbench with rolling work going through on it.

Pink lady bike - Who was told what needs to be done with it ?? I half heartedly assembled one carb, but all the needle O rings were fecked and gaskets shagged so it would all have to come apart again

I can fully understand Sid and Anns angst.

My full apologies for missing Ann and thanking her.

The hospitality and friendliness of Sids family was beyond the call of duty.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Crapaud View Post

Part of the problem is having me as the organiser. A bi-polar, paranoid, borderline schizophrenic, mildly psychotic, manic depressive with numerous other health issues doesn't make for the most level headed of decision makers at times.
    Sounds like the making for a fantastic Weekend to me
    KEA

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Chislehurst Borders (According to the estate agent)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaud View Post

Part of the problem is having me as the organiser. A bi-polar, paranoid, borderline schizophrenic, mildly psychotic, manic depressive with numerous other health issues doesn't make for the most level headed of decision makers at times.
    But all the same without those qualities you wouldn't be able to work with Proff

Seriously you have simply given yourself too much to do, for these things to work it does require more organisation, more resource to assist you and the old git before, during and after.

People think that good organisation and administration kill events such as these, not so, you have to herd cats and they are old dribbly and leaky cats at that!

Should you reconsider (and I sincerely hope you do) then dates/work allowing I would happily put myself at your disposal to assist in whatever way I can to reduce your burden, being that I ride only completely reliable oilers and in St.Eptoe as its carer it wants for nothing I have no need of any bench time and will only be a strain on the porcelain and nothing else (oh and maybe a bed in a wobbler).

Christ sid

I thought you were the normal person there
    I'D Rather be a live hasbeen than a dead Wanabee....

Hello Sid,

Sorry to hear that you have been left so disheartened following the Wee-Kend. Just to say thanks again to you, and everyone that took me under their wing, cooked and helped me fix my shed It's really never handled so well since I've had it. The 'Youngest Tosser' trophy has also taken pride of place on my otherwise rather bare trophy shelf!

It was a great pleasure to have met you all and I do hope to see some of you again at some of the other events I'd also rather hoped that I might perhaps be of more use to others next year, especially following the effort that was put in to help me, it would be great to have the chance to help with others machines.

All the best and thanks again for a great weekend,

Benjamin M

P.s, Cheque's in the post Sid, sorry to have kept you waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by shready View Post
    Was Trippy there?

No he bloody wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatton View Post
    Why on earth do you want to leave it all and move to Wales, of all places?

If it's just to get away from Proff then it seems a bit extreme.
    Have you seen the type of places he's looking at in Wales?

.... and no, not really

Sid

As you know i was very sorry to let you down at short notice but as my pm said there was a valid reason i could not be there with Stan, i hope of all people you may have understood my reason. Right up until Friday morning i was hoping to make it but it would have been the wrong thing to do in the circumstances.

I totally understand your frustration having organised many biking do's over the years, and know how much you and all the team put into it and it is thoroughly appreciated by everyone.

As i said in my pm i am happy to put some money in towards the costs of running the weekend and some extra for your chosen charity.

Please reconsider your decision not to run the weekend anymore as it will be sorely missed.
    My other bike is ........... in pieces

Thanks to all concerned, but, of course, especially to Sid and Ann for an excellent weekend, we all enjoyed it.
    Johnefyn

I can only echo what everyone else has already said Sid.

It was my first GSer event and hopefully not my last. You and Ann were great hosts and while Syco was, I suspect, a little tongue in cheek above, I can say as someone who had never met you before, that you were a genial host all weekend. Yes you were to-ing and fro-ing fretting about things, but only the same way any of us would have in the circumstances.

I'd be more than happy to fire in some extra for the kitty too, just PM me and I'll sort it - with what I have left after proff nailed me for two extra shirts and a mug!!

It's sad that you won't be hosting a future Wee-Kend but that's your call and I respect that whatever you decide.
    R100GSPD The Spearmint Rhino
    R1200GSA MANFRED - The Red Baron
    R1200GS The Golden Wonder. It was Golden and its a wonder I never fell off it!

Hi Sid,
    what can I say - an event to look forward to through the long winter, and having been to the last 2 events, it's an Institution now, and surely can't be stopped now !!
    I can fully appreciate all the work that goes into this, and all the pre planning, food planning etc, and can understand your feelings.

I for one would be happy to come down to work on your bike with you, but I'm not that much of a mechanic compared to Steptoe and Rob; however, would that offer help you to maybe reconsider ? Maybe a small team of helpers to get Pink Lady sorted - could be fun. Happy to volunteer, and happy to do any jobs, given the required supervision.

I did wonder what the situation was on your bike (Pink Lady), but thought you had maybe decided not to progress with the work ?

So, whatever happens in the future, it was a great weekend, - and much appreciated. It was great just to be able to ask questions, and to see how some things were done. Maybe any future Wee Kend might need to be a bit more structured, sadly, eg - book up a slot on the ramp, have a sheet with a "Running Order" of who needs what doing, and estimated time etc.
    I think one of the problems was that getting some of the parts from James was "uncertain"- particularly for the bike I was helping with - the big end bolts and tool for the bolts was a real hold up. He was out of contact for most of Saturday apparently.

Another solution/suggestion might be to have one person with a list of who needs which parts, and that James could be "on standby" on the Saturday . People could sign up on arrival and sign on for any last minute spares.

The idea of an up-front deposit, of say £25 would surely be absolutely fine , and would help offset any last minute dropouts, or ticket of any last minute drop outs could be passed on to a "shortlist" of people wanting to attend.

I was wondering how much was raised for the charity, as the idea of a charity local to you seemed an excellent idea.

Here's hoping you WILL hold a gathering in 2012 -
    It was a great weekend, great company, amazing food, and a very special "event". Weather was crap, but suppose that was indeed beyond your control - at least I know the tent is waterproof now.

Thanks Sid, and my offer holds.....
    Kite Recording Studio
    www.kitestudio.co.uk

I have read yer original post again Sid and I think in a few more weeks you may look back on some of the great parts of this event and there were many

As you have already noted, and others have commented on
    A little help and organisation maybe before the event would have been a help to you - we all failed you - just a bit
    Maybe if folk had not stripped their bikes before the parts came would have moved things on a bit better - but James didnt turn up with some bits untill 2100 sat night - some of the bits were a miss order from the previous day I think a proper analasis of what to do on the pink lady and spares required should be got- then we all could do a bit
    Tools again were a issue - Everyone thought someone else was taking them to the event. We were at fault in all the above bollocks dropped not you sir

There was some great times and memories to be got from this event
    We have all met up and I can still remember most of everyones names
    I nearly wet myself laughing a few times the craic at times was amazing

Hope you can see your way to changing your mind as to whether another event is possible

Not one person would ever say that this weekend was not a fabulous event and not one would not to be there at the next for sure
    regards love and kisses

Mick

Sid.

If you do put the WeeKend on next year, wherever you may be living, I am prepared to take the week off beforehand to help with final preparations. I hope you do because they are all a great bunch of lads and ladies.

S.R.

OK, just to clarify a few things.

I do not want a single extra penny from anyone of you who attended the event.

As I originally stated, I fully accept that some people had very genuine reasons for cancelling and most people contacted me to let me know. I have no problem with these genuine cancellations. I also acknowledged that I had already received offers from some of these people to cover their share of the costs.
    I did not mean to criticise any of the people who have replied to this thread. You are the good guys. Its the ones who put their names down and simply failed to show up or contact me in any way that really pissed me off. Perhaps I was wrong to include these in the same category as the late cancellations so I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Ann's bike. A lack of planning and clarity on my part. I should have checked it over before hand and made a list of bits required. Also I should have prepared a job list of things that needed doing. I was a bit busy doing other things to get this organised and had just assumed it would happen. I know there were many very helpful people there who would have helped had we all been better organised. I've started work on it myself and I think I will be able to eventually get it completed but thanks for the various offers of help.

Job organisation. Steptoe is completely right. Previous years there has been less demand on ramp time so our previous shambolic approach was OK. With more lengthy and complex jobs, everyone needs to think ahead a lot more.

James Sherlock. It is not fair to blame James in any way in my opinion. The arrangement was to contact him long before the weekend and order your parts for me to collect in advance. He only agreed to open up on the Saturday as a special favour for last minute items. It was not meant to be, get to my place, strip down bike and then work out what bits were needed. I collected all the ordered bits and bought them back on Friday afternoon. Each order was individually bagged up with the individual invoice and placed in a large box. It probably didn't help that a certain individual (no names) attacked the various bags before they could be distributed to their respective owners. This may have contributed to the slight mix up of some parts.

Tools. I wasn't aware that there was any issue with tools apart from the spring compresser and other thingy that we borrowed from my neighbour?

Thank you for all the very kind comments that have been posted on here and in pm's.

I've still not finalised the figures and we still have various adjustments to be made. Some of the late cancellations have already offered to contribute and I will contact them shortly.

I have removed you final paragraphs Sid
    BHT

Sid
    If you do run it next year i would be happy to come down a couple of days before to help sort out/ set up.
    My other bike is ........... in pieces

Oh, and I would like to thank the kind people who found my glasses lens after it had dropped out on several occaisons. Mind you, after about ten o'clock on Saturday evening I didn't even notice :-)

Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Sumprat View Post
    Oh, and I would like to thank the kind people who found my glasses lens after it had dropped out on several occaisons. Mind you, after about ten o'clock on Saturday evening I didn't even notice :-)
    On Saturday night we could have cut yer fingers off and you wouldn't have noticed
    I'D Rather be a live hasbeen than a dead Wanabee....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast