iPhone 4 Tomtom GPS overheating problem

Ex TSi Fly

Reaction score
I have been using my iPhone 4 and Tomtom with a Schuberth SRC setup in a waterproof mount over the winter without a problem. The iphone 4 was getting warm in the case but functioned well but now the weather has got warmer as soon as the sun gets to work the iphone shuts down with an overheat message within 10 mins of riding.
I have tried 3 different case holders from tightly fitting to loose with the same result Biologic, So easy rider, and one purchased from a vendor on this site.
After letting my Zumo 550 go with my previous bike :blast I really like the 1 piece of kit solution that the iphone set up gives me but it is unreliable in the heat.
My phone has been checked and certified OK by apple who say this is to be expected when enclosing the phone with the screen on bright, being charged and using processor intensive apps and I can sort of understand this.
Has anyone else com across this and successfully resolved it ?
Is anyone using the rubber band touratech mount, does airflow stop it overheating, how do you rainproof this setup?
Should I just give in and buy a TT rider V2 or Zumo 220?

They certainly get hot

My Iphone 4 used in car gets extremely hot whe used as satnav.
I have it on an Arkon mount, which I also use on bike. (But not in rain)
No solution, I am afraid, just confirmation.

Myke

I have been using my iPhone 4 and Tomtom with a Schuberth SRC setup in a waterproof mount over the winter without a problem. The iphone 4 was getting warm in the case but functioned well but now the weather has got warmer as soon as the sun gets to work the iphone shuts down with an overheat message within 10 mins of riding.
I have tried 3 different case holders from tightly fitting to loose with the same result Biologic, So easy rider, and one purchased from a vendor on this site.
After letting my Zumo 550 go with my previous bike :blast I really like the 1 piece of kit solution that the iphone set up gives me but it is unreliable in the heat.
My phone has been checked and certified OK by apple who say this is to be expected when enclosing the phone with the screen on bright, being charged and using processor intensive apps and I can sort of understand this.
Has anyone else com across this and successfully resolved it ?
Is anyone using the rubber band touratech mount, does airflow stop it overheating, how do you rainproof this setup?
Should I just give in and buy a TT rider V2 or Zumo 220?

never had a problem with my otterbox
http://www.atemkunde.de/otterbox-iphone-waterproof-case/

thats odd, my biologic case has never caused my phone to knock itself out.
did three hours in blazing sunshine on the mountain bike the other day running a GPS app and t'was fine... hope it doesnt start happening to me!

Good luck with the hunt - that otter box just looks ridiculous - looks lke something Touratwot would 'engineer'... :D

thats odd, my biologic case has never caused my phone to knock itself out.
did three hours in blazing sunshine on the mountain bike the other day running a GPS app and t'was fine... hope it doesnt start happening to me!

Good luck with the hunt - that otter box just looks ridiculous - looks lke something Touratwot would 'engineer'... :D
I think it might be the fact its charging the battery at the same time maybe the heat generated in that pushes it over the edge.
Yesterday I tried all 3 mounts positioned in the car windscreen air con set to 23 degrees enclosed and charging the phone didnt trip out but was pretty hot.

I think it might be the fact its charging the battery at the same time maybe the heat generated in that pushes it over the edge.
Yesterday I tried all 3 mounts positioned in the car windscreen air con set to 23 degrees enclosed and charging the phone didnt trip out but was pretty hot.

Good thinking - yeah i am about to head off down to cheshire for some extreme green laning tomorrow and all weekend and am using the I phone biolgic for the first time on the gs - will need to charge it up a couple of times over the day on the bar mount so guess i spoke too soon! D@mn hope it doesnt switch off. :tears

Thanks, I've spent over £120 on mounts already so I'm kind of weary about buying another enclosed mount, are you using an iphone 3 or 4?

used both now running HTC win7

Any vendors out there want to help develop the iCool?
1. Using a PC cpu cooler and fan
2. Using a PC liquid cooling cpu cooler
3. Using bundy, tubing windscreen washer pipe, winscreen washer pump and bundy tubing heat exchanger mounted under the beak ?
I just googled icool and its being used already, something to do with the menopause.......
Maybe i need a holiday !

do a google search there are loads of hits on Iphone 4 overheating problems, it may be somthing to do with your specific phone rather than a general problem.

I left my phone in my tank bag charging up and forgot that as the sun moved the tank bag would be in the full glare and when I went back to the phone it was showing the overheated icon, so its not just when running sat nav software, I think the issues is more likley to be an issue with the charging of the phone.

do a google search there are loads of hits on Iphone 4 overheating problems, it may be somthing to do with your specific phone rather than a general problem.

I left my phone in my tank bag charging up and forgot that as the sun moved the tank bag would be in the full glare and when I went back to the phone it was showing the overheated icon, so its not just when running sat nav software, I think the issues is more likley to be an issue with the charging of the phone.
Thanks, I will try running Tomtom without the charging for a bit and see how that works I could then just charge it if the bat got really low.
Maybe one of those additional battery cases could be used to extend its life a bit.

Ran the tomtom app with the phone in the case mount yesterday without it charging and the phone worked fine and didn't overheat.
I searched around tinterweb for a phone charging solution and an the Apple store found additional battery cases and the like that extended the phones life but many had poor reviews so plumped for the Just Mobile Gum Plus which is a rechargeable pack that will recharge an iphone to 90% within an hour up to 4 times before it needs to be recharged itself and had excellent reviews.
The theory is winter, autumn, spring not a problem as phone didn't overheat when charging in the summer carry the Gum plus and recharge the iphone from it when stopped for a break,lunch etc.
Now for the best bit, went to Apple shop who were out of stock £69.95. Then I visited John Lewis on the off chance and they had 2 versions, the Gum Plus and the Gum Pro in stock, visually similar bit the guy didn't know the difference, both have 4400mA batteries one has a slide switch and the other a push switch. Asked him the price £29.50 for the Plus and £14.95 for the Pro as they are a clearance line on 50% discount !!!!!
Bought both for £44.45
These units will recharge any phone or device requiring 5V mini USB and can be recharged from a USB hub or PC.
Maybe this might help someone in similar predicament or who camps a lot .

Good thinking - yeah i am about to head off down to cheshire for some extreme green laning tomorrow and all weekend and am using the I phone biolgic for the first time on the gs - will need to charge it up a couple of times over the day on the bar mount so guess i spoke too soon! D@mn hope it doesnt switch off. :tears

IT SWITCHED OFF! :(

I used my iphone 4 for 16 days around europe in that otterbox above, used it for tomtom most of the time with music aswell, only overheated once or twice in 40 odd degree heat, never actually turned off.

Back
Top Bottom