Garmin Montana - The perfect road /off road GPS

I've just got a 'Peaklife' for less than a third of that price.

Now loaded with all Europe road mapping and UK OS, brilliant piece of kit for trail riding at a realistic price:clap:clap

Tim, what OS mapping and Europe mapping did you use?

Tim, what OS mapping and Europe mapping did you use?

A 'cracked' version of Memory Map :thumb

The European maps are not street level though like on Mapsource but more like a road atlas.

I like the OS mapping though because if you zoom out it changes scale and format to much like a road atlas which is handy if you need to get off the trails and head somewhere.

Quite simple to use so far.
P1030556-XL.jpg

P1030557-XL.jpg

Can you let me know the outcome of this as I am seriously interested and was wondering the same.

Thanks

Nigel

It would appear that the bike mount is the un-powered version, i'm just trying to find out if it is possible to just get the power cable, or if you require a whole new mount?

if you are considering one of these, it may be worth dropping them an email before you order and seeing what sort of deal you can get done if you don't require the car mount package/ or want to upgrade the bike mount?

nathan

It would appear that the bike mount is the un-powered version, i'm just trying to find out if it is possible to just get the power cable, or if you require a whole new mount?

if you are considering one of these, it may be worth dropping them an email before you order and seeing what sort of deal you can get done if you don't require the car mount package/ or want to upgrade the bike mount?

nathan

Garmin rugged mount is the way to go

Garmin rugged mount is the powered option. Trying to power an un-powered mount isn't likely to work well, you'll need to use the mini-USB port which is not very safe and means you need to expose the port, making it non-weatherproof.

Garmin rugged mount is the powered option. Trying to power an un-powered mount isn't likely to work well, you'll need to use the mini-USB port which is not very safe and means you need to expose the port, making it non-weatherproof.

I'm inclined to agree :thumb2

Thanks for the link martin,

i had actually looked at the mount that has been provided, and it looks like there is a cut out in the base to accept a plug that will pick up on the existing external terminals of the montana.

The mount that has come with the kit also looks identical to the powered mount, just without the lead.

I don't want to go the USB route for the obvious water ingress problems that will go with it. It would be fine if riding in warm dry conditions all the time. But i don't. :cool:

nathan

After exchanging emails I think that there are sending me the powered mount instead of the ordinary bike mount :D

Will let you know what turns up :thumb2

I have both. It's the same mount without the power . If you could get the cable with the plug then that would do . I paid £33.00 on amazon for the powered mount inc all the ram fixings , I tried to get another but couldn't find the same again at the price .

I have both. It's the same mount without the power . If you could get the cable with the plug then that would do . I paid £33.00 on amazon for the powered mount inc all the ram fixings , I tried to get another but couldn't find the same again at the price .

I had a look last night, and couldn't get one for that price, but i have one on order now.

Could anyone help with the following on the Montana please:

1. Utilising Basecamp on a Mac, I plan a route with the OS map then transfer to the unit, the problem being the route shown is as a straight line between points along the route i.e. it does not follow the roads. What am I doing wrong?

2. What is the size of the jack plug for the audio on the Rugged Mount as I require an adapter to enable a connection between the GPS and Autocom system fitted onto the machine.

Many thanks.

I don't use the Mac version but two things occur to me. Is the profile you are using on the Montana set to Direct Routing? Secondly, if you are going to the view map option, it will initially show as a stright line; give it a few seconds and you should see the route.

I have not set it to Direct Routing; I shall have to investigate as to where that option is and remove it if enabled. The route remained showing as straight lines on the unit.

Paul, many thanks, that was the problem; I can begin to use the unit. I need to speak to Garmin about as to how to correctly eject the unit from the Mac as it throws its teddy into the corner every time it is disconnected. But at least I now know it does work!

All you need to do is to press ctrl + click on the folder on the desktop: 'Garmin' and then 'eject' the unit.
When that's done and the icon goes from the desktop, undo the USB lead.

I have done that but the error message still appears about the unit not being ejected prior to disconnecting.

Back
Top Bottom