Should or I shouldn't I? A Husqvarna TE 450!

casperfelix

Reaction score
I'm currently in negotiation with the owner of a newish Husqvarna TE 450 who may sell it at a good price.
I want to go green laning, which SWMBO thinks teenagers do - not old farts like me. Should I or shouldn't I go for it: Or should I just blat the 1200GSa down the tracks?

I'm currently in negotiation with the owner of a newish Husqvarna TE 450 who may sell it at a good price.
I want to go green laning, which SWMBO thinks teenagers do - not old farts like me. Should I or shouldn't I go for it: Or should I just blat the 1200GSa down the tracks?

Do what you wanna do, life is too short for dithering......

If it's one of the later ones with fuel injection, it will be an absolute peach of a bike!. just don't wind it right up until you feel confident to do so :D
It'll have stacks of power, but it will be very progressive in delivery.

If it's one of the earlier ones, make sure the valves have been recently checked, or swopped for white bros stainless. (the original ti valves stretch like elastic bands).
Power delivery on the early bikes is very brutal, i found the throttle to be very on or off. Feathering it was a very conscious effort- something you could do without if trying to negotiate tricky ruts, or a technical climb.

Suspension and handling on both will be good- i preferred it to the orange offerings

I'd say do it. You'll have alot more fun, it will be easier to pick up (they weight around 120kgs!), and you can go for further without feeling so tired (unless you buy an earlier bike :D).

Greenlaning on a bike bike is also fun, but it stops being fun once you've dropped it a few times and broken expensive bits off it. Sudden a cheap second bike seems a positive bargain!

Do it! :aidan

Try picking up the Bmw from horizontal on your own then ask again :D

get the te 449 or 511 2011 models as they are the bmw 450x lump.. and have a decent pedigree..

as above the earlier models have the typical italian flaws!!

Greenlaning on a bike bike is also fun, but it stops being fun once you've dropped it a few times and broken expensive bits off it. Sudden a cheap second bike seems a positive bargain!

Something else to consider.

I was following a GS on the trails on Salisbury Plain a couple of weeks ago, a low speed off whilst following vehicle ruts, a bit of adverse camber and suddenly your right leg is supporting a quarter of a tonne of BMW.:eek:

Poor old Trevtuck of this parish is now laid up with a badly damaged leg.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7058992

Go with the lighter Husky, I did.:thumb2

Thanks guys. Have decided to do the evil deed but will make sure the price is right as it seems a buyer's market out there. Am aiming to get an '88 to '90 model.

suddenly your right leg is supporting a quarter of a tonne of BMW.:eek:

My, perhaps lucky, experiences of crashing our big battlecruisers greenlaning is that your legs are very well protected indeed.

I am guessing that something unusual happened to your friend?

Was it a very deep rut or did he hit an object ? Curious and hope that he mends well.

My, perhaps lucky, experiences of crashing our big battlecruisers greenlaning is that your legs are very well protected indeed.

I am guessing that something unusual happened to your friend?

Was it a very deep rut or did he hit an object ? Curious and hope that he mends well.

Hard to say really, the ruts were not deep, the track was a minor decent curling to the right, but the track was also sloping left to right. In truth only Trevor knows what happened, but we believe he tried and failed to stop the bike falling, because the ground fell away to his right it was always going to be hard to beat the laws of gravity.

Have you done much on unsurfaced roads?
I ask as this is a very powerful bike, and i mean for a rider of less experience it could be the wrong bike in those hands.
Please be careful.........:eek:

And if you are an expert, please accept my apologies...... and rag the fecking arse off it!:thumb2

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom