New GPS User

suipedali

Is it me or is the GPSV Deluxe not that user friendly? It seems to take ages to down load and i'm never to sure what i'm actually downloading when I put a map onto the unit. Is 40 mins to downlaod a map the norm? Any general advise would be accepted.

I find it user friendly but it does have limitations.

Downloading to the unit via serial port takes up to an hour for a full (or near-ish) 19MB download. But there is no reason why you cannot work out exactly what you're downloading as its you who selected it in the first place. Presumably you're using the map selection tool in Mapsource to select the sectors you want? In which case zooming the map in you'll see exactly the boundaries down to 80ft.

A tip though if you haven't downloaded the map do not try and use turn-by-turn navigation to route to anywhere instead using the routing feature and waypoints.

You have to remember the V is based on the II/III/III+ and it has come a long way but memory limits and download speeds are why I opted to upgrade from the V to the SPIII.

I will miss the V though - the size and the all the other features make it IMHO a beter all-round unit.

Having said all that having (almost) the whole of the UK down to street level is bliss. Gonna have to save me pennies to afford the Euro unlock (£200++++). Someone please tell me like I'm an idiot why it is so much more than the Euro unlock for my V:confused:

suipedali said:
Is it me or is the GPSV Deluxe not that user friendly? It seems to take ages to down load and i'm never to sure what i'm actually downloading when I put a map onto the unit. Is 40 mins to downlaod a map the norm? Any general advise would be accepted.

Can you not get a USB card reader for the garmin cartridges on the V?

Back
Top Bottom