bmw r 1200r

I like the 12r too pity it doesn't have a decent half fairing....just like my wicked 1200ST..same engine (110bhp) wind protection... butbugger stopped making them. Come on bmw make us a boxer sport tourer again!

I got one as a loaner today.............

Great bike with a little bit more poke (it seems) than my 1200GSA..........

Think I would prefer a slightly higher seat, though.

R1200r_zpsfce955bc.jpg

Al :D

I like the 12r too pity it doesn't have a decent half fairing....just like my wicked 1200ST..same engine (110bhp) wind protection... butbugger stopped making them. Come on bmw make us a boxer sport tourer again!

Well, I had a Givi screen (with Heroblobs attachment) in the attic and I just tried it on the R today - superb. Went out in fairly wet and blustery conditions and it was spot on at "brisk" speeds. This is a genuinely good tourer. Better than my Deauvilles, FJR, Trophy 900, V Strom, Versys, Transalp, 1100GS, CBF1000 and Tiger800XC. Yes, this is now my favourite bike for distance (albeit that I've only done a few 2 hr rides !)

The spray on the motorway was intense but I arrived at my destination remarkably dry and, best of all, grinning. Absolute top bike.

003.jpg

Well, I had a Givi screen (with Heroblobs attachment) in the attic and I just tried it on the R today - superb. Went out in fairly wet and blustery conditions and it was spot on at "brisk" speeds. This is a genuinely good tourer. Better than my Deauvilles, FJR, Trophy 900, V Strom, Versys, Transalp, 1100GS, CBF1000 and Tiger800XC. Yes, this is now my favourite bike for distance (albeit that I've only done a few 2 hr rides !)

The spray on the motorway was intense but I arrived at my destination remarkably dry and, best of all, grinning. Absolute top bike.

003.jpg

The centre stand has grown back. 'Tis the devil's work I tells ya. What's the story there then ?

The centrestand was a £69 James Sherlock used part :thumb2

Also, just a note on the Sport seat. It's actually really comfortable, if slightly narrow, but the sheepskin makes it even better. Probably not "all day" comfortable but it fits me better than the wider, firmer, saddle on the current bikes. Great for those of a boney arse disposition.

In Motorrad this month was a pic of a possable R1200RS.
It said it was a basic R1200r but with more of a fairing.

Wait and see.

I never understood why they stopped making it, I think the reason it didn't sell is that the front was just too ugly, a quick re-style could have fixed that.

In Motorrad this month was a pic of a possable R1200RS.
It said it was a basic R1200r but with more of a fairing.

Wait and see.

WOW!!! where can I access the photo? I take it motorrad is a magazine? online? boy oh boy oh boy!!

I never understood why they stopped making it, I think the reason it didn't sell is that the front was just too ugly, a quick re-style could have fixed that.

matter of opinion my friend, I think it was ahead of its time personally and always think it looks fab (well I would say that). As a used buy possibly the best value 1200 boxer u can buy.

hi all
finally got another ,toss up between a gs and a r
choose the 13 plate twin cam ...
great bike.
awsome ride.

Saw a lovely looking R today. It looked to me as if the riding position, as in the handlebar and forward lean was less on the R than it is on the GS. My GS is the lowered suspension one and since buying a normal GS seat, I feel a lot of pain in my shoulders when doing distance., I also feel like the normal GS seat pushes me forward into the tank, cramping my nethers! So I either go back to a lowered seat. Get risers. Get a new expensive seat...Or change bike,....The R looked wiicked. Mostly 1 up touring in EU, a bit of pillion, mostly commuting daily. 37k now in 5 years so I ride...
The R seems to be a possibility with a high/med screen. Can anyone confirm (ergo cycle doesn't) that the bars are actually closer and a little higher to the rider than the GS bars?

You've obviously not ridden enough horrible bikes in your time.

I prescribe a 6 month course of CZ 175 for Sir.

Be fair. W"hat has the man done to deserve that? "Cruel and unusual punishment" is against the human rights act.

Saw a lovely looking R today. It looked to me as if the riding position, as in the handlebar and forward lean was less on the R than it is on the GS. My GS is the lowered suspension one and since buying a normal GS seat, I feel a lot of pain in my shoulders when doing distance., I also feel like the normal GS seat pushes me forward into the tank, cramping my nethers! So I either go back to a lowered seat. Get risers. Get a new expensive seat...Or change bike,....The R looked wiicked. Mostly 1 up touring in EU, a bit of pillion, mostly commuting daily. 37k now in 5 years so I ride...
The R seems to be a possibility with a high/med screen. Can anyone confirm (ergo cycle doesn't) that the bars are actually closer and a little higher to the rider than the GS bars?

Hi Donovan,
Best thing to do is have a good long test ride.
Everybody is different
Not doing a big tour this year ????

Mike

Sold my 05 R1200GS last month and bought a new Dark White R1200R. Just getting the hang of it but so far it's great! I can get aboard w/o struggle and get booth feet flat on the ground. Easy to push out of the garage. Much better transmission than the old bike, and faster too. DOHC motor is amazingly smooth. Simply love it.

Back
Top Bottom