bmw r 1200r

I keep reading road tests that say the R1200R is a better road bike than the GS. I've been wondering about this for a while. So I was interested to try the one which Motorrad Central in Dalkeith supplied me as a service loan bike this afternoon.

So....all these road test reports which say that the R1200R is a better road bike than the GS. Do you know what.....?

They're wrong. :pullface

hi
the bike is now bought from gadet.
awesome machine and very pleased with it , week into ownership done a few hundred miles already , much smoother at speed than the gs , steering a little differant ,turns much quicker ,as it would with a smaller front wheel ,very underrated bike . feel a little quicker than the gs .:beerjug:
still have my gs for the moment .great bike as well .:beer:

Hi piston.
Tell me a bit more as I am thinking of buying one, do you get any vibration at higher speeds throught the bars or footrests? Whats the seat like for comfort, there doesn't look like a lot of room to move about the way the seat is shaped? Do have a sreen and if so is it any good? Is it the new engine or cam in head?
A picture would be good if it is not too much trouble.

Mike

Had mine nearly three years now, fantastic bike :thumb

Pictured here at Crinan Harbour on last year's RBR ;)

ArgyleBute.jpg
[/IMG]

I keep reading road tests that say the R1200R is a better road bike than the GS. I've been wondering about this for a while. So I was interested to try the one which Motorrad Central in Dalkeith supplied me as a service loan bike this afternoon.

So....all these road test reports which say that the R1200R is a better road bike than the GS. Do you know what.....?

They're wrong. :pullface

I had one as a service loaner, a couple of years ago

It was the most horrible bike, i've ever ridden:blast

I had one as a service loaner, a couple of years ago

It was the most horrible bike, i've ever ridden:blast

You've obviously not ridden enough horrible bikes in your time.

I prescribe a 6 month course of CZ 175 for Sir.

A couple of years ago, I had one on loan and really liked it.

I found that it handled really well, and that I could ride it much harder than my GS, and so much easier to muscle ‘round the bends.

Each to his own and all that, but one thing is for sure, it was a million miles away from the most horrible ‘bike that I have ever ridden.....Kawasaki KLR 600 and numerous Villiers’ please take a bow...:D

I had use of one for a few weeks and loved it. It will be my next bike when I finally decide to part with my 1150GS. Not for a while yet though.

Very nice bike, but then I had it last:D Would have another, like the look of the Classic:)

like the look of the Classic:)

Agreed, that's a lovely looking model.

A guy I ride with put 100,000km on his 1150R and raved about it. I still have an R at the back of my mind. Love my GS but sometimes wonder if I need that size.

I'm waiting on a dark grey r1200r and should be getting it in November, I went to the dealer to buy a GS but bought the R instead.

r1200r

hi all
around 10 weeks on now of ownership of the r1200r.
gs now sold . am i missing it ..yes and no .
the r1200r is a great bike .. handles very neutral and faster than the gs.
much easier than the gs to move around .geared better for the roads ,
mods so far , exhaust , rocker covers , gs sump guard after a rock hit sump .
what i miss about the gs is sheer size , miss the luggage space .
don't miss trying to wheel it about around the garage and small spaces .
would i have another . yes .
probably in the future .
piston:thumb
thanks for the answers:beerjug:

I'm waiting on a dark grey r1200r and should be getting it in November, I went to the dealer to buy a GS but bought the R instead.
I went to the BM dealer to buy a pair of gloves, glanced at a R1200R and had one ordered a day later after a test ride.

Truth is I miss the boxer and shaft. Hate chains with a vengeance after owning 2 previous 1200's and the new R is suprisingly fast and useable power. Planted to the road.

There are tons of screens and luggage available for them and they can carry easily as much as you need for any trip.

I would guess that more than half the GS riders out there would be more suited to an R if they could steer away for the marketing. I think the R is one of the most underrated bikes on the road...

Just traded my Multistrada 1200S in for it after 10000 miles and 2 years. Managed to stay alive on it but it was the best thing i have ever owned in my life...

PS, and it was the first time ever that a dealer has actually given ME money to trade in against a new bike lol:beerjug:

Bengaz.

If the MStrada was the best bike you've owned, why did you trade it for a BMW R1200R ? The BMW is a superb bike but not quite in the same aesthetic league as the MStrada.

I'd probably go for the R1200R myself if I wanted to sleep nights, though. Had a R1100R and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hi, traded in as it was the right mileage I thought to do so (value wise) and also to change for reasons stated above. Main thing is a cant seem to keep anything for long:confused:

I dont own an R yet as its a new build order, coming in March so I may change my mind on the best bike Ive had:)

I really enjoyed my test ride, I thought it would be boring like my GS but it was much more livelier and much more entertaining to ride.

I had a CB1000R before the Multi and that didnt bother me at all about being naked.

Back
Top Bottom