Japanese Classics

. . . and finally letting Pip Higham from the VBS bolt it all togather with smoothbore carbs and a Harris pipe meant it was a good 10.86 second run as a Drag Bike :)

Attachments

• quarter mile.jpg
    quarter mile.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 614
. . . and all that 'street-sleeper' performance, whilst still managaing to look like a old-duffers 'time-warp' bike with it's wire wheels, big chrome mudguards and dated twin shocks.
Great bike, was sad to see it go :loopy

Attachments

• mooniesbik.jpg
    mooniesbik.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 583
. . . there is a down side to having such a gorgeous iconic bike though - everytime i park it up and return later, there's always scantily clad blonde's climbing all over it ;)

Attachments

• oo 186.JPG
    oo 186.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 620
I also did a Z650...

p649131452.jpg

and a Lawson rep

p1067853378.jpg

I love Kawasaki's

although I have played with the odd Honda or two...

p899469139.jpg

p981337405.jpg

:thumb

Yeah, very addictive. Get as much fun being out on that as the GS, just a whole lot slower!

The CB1265S and XL125 camshaft bearing had a one piece head with two cut-outs on the drive side cam bearing to clear the cam lobes The oil never got properly carried to the top part of the bearing so the aluminium would wear out and scrap the head. There used to be a split roller bearing upgrade to fix the problem. It probably used standard size bearings so a similar fix may still be possible today.

This is one option for the larger engines http://www.xlintperformance.com/cams.htm

Another is to machine out the head and fit a split bronze bush around the camshaft. Lining up the oil feed could be "fun".

Bought this as a 750 jap import hand painted basket case about 10 years ago for £500 . Resprayed it back to standard livery new seat etc. Threw away the 750 lump and bought an 1135 EFE engine (last and best of Suzuki's air-cooled in-line fours) and bored it out to 1230cc , RS36mm carbs and some head work, SV three spoke wheels and front end and lots of one off jiggery pokery engineering to make it all fit together. With the exception of the wheels brakes and front end the rest are all period mods.

Handles well stops well , sounds great and produces 135bhp at the back wheel. The rivet counters don't like it when you do this with a classic but I wont sell it I just love to ride it.

20130410_192548_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130407_192900_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

+1 on he Suzuki.
This is one of my CBX1000
80,000km
I made the Kawa alternator conversion and the headlamp brackets + the SS bits.
It has R1200GS mirrors and indicators.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 698
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 767
+1 on he Suzuki.
80,000km

Nice cbx Pat,

don't be using all the gs bits on there I want them all,
on 90 k miles now expecting gearbox or clutch to go next but I have spare :thumby:

The rivet counters don't like it when you do this with a classic but I wont sell it I just love to ride it.

20130410_192548_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130407_192900_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had a 750 Katana import just like that one. After I crashed it, I streetfightered it (which meant no fairing).

And you think YOU upset the rivet counters??? :augie:augie

+1 on he Suzuki.
80,000km

There is something - so sexy about the Honda 6-cyl engine in the CBX.

I understand the reason for the engine bars - but it's still a shame to hide the engine behind them.

I'd have the engine as an objet d'art - it's that iconic. :rob

Al :thumb2

There is something - so sexy about the Honda 6-cyl engine in the CBX.

I understand the reason for the engine bars - but it's still a shame to hide the engine behind them.

I'd have the engine as an objet d'art - it's that iconic. :rob

Here you go - sandcast prototype CBX engine.

Be quick - auction this Sunday.

Bought this for £1950 a few weeks ago ( after third leg op - to cheer oneself up what :D )...then told yesterday need new knee on 25th November :tears So, unsure what to do :nenau since I've only just finished my airhead project :bounce1 Cracking little bike with lots already done to her....

Had to laugh with the grab handle fitted on the wrong side !

Bit of racing history

Raced by John Woodley in 77 and 78, in 500GP races and the 78 Senior TT.

a>

a>

a>

It handles all light 'n skinny, like a 125, and up to 9000rpm, goes like one too. But then....:eek::thumb2

not exactly a classic, but it was cheep to buy and cheep to sort out, and even old dogs need a bit of loving! it was a bit of pain in the arse to work on though!

Attachments

• vf1000ff.jpg
    vf1000ff.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 286

Back
Top Bottom