1200 gs final drive overhaul

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
if you have just changed your final drive oil and there is metal particals in the oil or if you are just paranoid about it ,i can now strip and replace all of the bearings and seals this includes strip down,removal of old bearings,steam cleaning of all components then rebuilding,this can only be carried out if the unit is in a serviceable condition, the cost at present is £320 including all seals and bearings and a new set of housing bolts,hopefully the price can be reduced if i can find cheaper supplies of bearings.for more info pm me or call on 07786 340692 mike.

PM me the bearing/seal numbers and current prices, I can get prices here......

Thats not a bad price:thumb2,

All the parts from BMW comes to about £220.Y change the housing bolts though?

The needle roller on the pinion shaft on the older models is only avaliable from BMW I believe.

hi blue bird,my bearing factor tells me that the three needle/roller bearings are dealer only,the main crown wheel bearing is a standard bearing and can be bought for @£40,the only reason i change the housing bolts is because of corrosion,i clean all the threads in the housing and grease them so with new bolts it comes apart easier next time,if the parts are supplied i would rebuild the unit for £100 or about £150 ride in ride out.mike

I see,

yr right about the corrosion,75% of mine were suffering fromm water ingress corrsion on the threads,I just cleaned them up on a bench mounted wire wheel and copper greased them,also put a tap into the housing to clean the shit outa there.
suprised the big needle rollers are dealer only aswell,though the outside one has a slight taper so maybe that is a special.

How are removeing the inner race of the large pinion bearing? I tacked a 3 legg puller onto it.

Back
Top Bottom