Hartside Today

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Glorious weather but not many bikers there this aft :nenau

Got swamped by problem kids on an outing with their 'carers' and there incessant arguing over having a shower of not when they got back to the youth hostel did my head in

Enjoyed the ride though!

184151_10150735048620023_715185022_19928368_1298953_n.jpg

Hart

Hi glad the weather was kind for you today. up ther yesterday at 6.30pm with the sherpa psn down, such is life eh.

I know hartside reasonably well :thumb2

My cousin has a farm at Outhwaite, which you can just about make out from the cafe carpark.

Nice roads!! :thumb

HARTSIDE

We rode over at 9pm monday night bit damp and dark and the new gs 's lights are shite

I was over Hartside yesterday scoping out some off-road trails. The weather was great!

I don't know how many times I've been over Hartside, but I didn't know, until yesterday, that there's a trail that leaves from the back of the cafe and goes right down to Unthank on the Penrith side. You can clearly see it on Google Maps satellite view.

It was great fun on the XT but doable on a GS or similar :augie

Why are there so many places called 'Unthank' in the North?

Never noticed it anywhere else.

Describes it like it was I suppose, like Wallish Walls on the 68 or Coldtown farm near Otterburn, Perched on a hill and every way out is down if the winds blowing the rain is horizontal if the wind isnt blowing its just vertical.

How about Shittleheugh !. I know what a Heugh is but whats a shittle. Answers on those postcards for diagnosing bowel problems please. If you dont know what these are your still paying for your prescriptions :rob

There are lots more I just cant bring them to mind,its an age thing.

Regards
Centurion

Shilbottle

Always have a giggle at the Shilbottle sign (A1) that some wag has changed to shitbottle.
Maybe its a crap place to live bum bum.

Why are there so many places called 'Unthank' in the North?

Never noticed it anywhere else.

Apparently it has Norse origins, one of the many legacies of our Viking visitors. Most of 'em didn't bother going down south. As you know, the South is populated of softies and without some resistance the rampaging and pillaging was 'a bit rubbish'. Those that did go south succumbed to quiche and wine spritzers and started to talk all funny - hence no Unthanks.

I think the history books might tell a slightly different story.

Apparently it has Norse origins, one of the many legacies of our Viking visitors. Most of 'em didn't bother going down south. As you know, the South is populated of softies and without some resistance the rampaging and pillaging was 'a bit rubbish'. Those that did go south succumbed to quiche and wine spritzers and started to talk all funny - hence no Unthanks.

I think the history books might tell a slightly different story.

Interesting, thanks.. or unthanks... who knows!

BTW: I am one of those 'softie Southerners'... so I'm gonna be a French Norman :)

Back
Top Bottom