12k service on 2010 GSA (new model) cost !

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my 5th GS - the last two I changed a little prematurely due to accidents (one mine, one someone else !) but still been over 24k miles on all 5.

My latest (Nov 2010) is ready for it's 12k service - been quoted £330. This seems a lot to me ?! It started at £420 but then took off gearbox and brake fluid change (£90) which is time based ( so few months left until Nov 2011).

I always had £150 for small and £200-ish for large.

What are people paying for their 12k service.....and where ?

The spark plugs are in the region of £40 for a set and are changed at the 12k mark on the twin cam engines. The labour overall should be in the region of 2.25 hours. Air and oil filters are also changed at this point as is the final drive oil. Watch they don't charge you for a full litre of the final drive oil, even though they only use 200cc.

I paid £293 at Rainbow for everything about a month ago.

Mike

The spark plugs are in the region of £40 for a set and are changed at the 12k mark on the twin cam engines. The labour overall should be in the region of 2.25 hours. Air and oil filters are also changed at this point as is the final drive oil. Watch they don't charge you for a full litre of the final drive oil, even though they only use 200cc.

I got charged £56 + vat for my four twin cam spark plugs :eek:

On my 5th GS - the last two I changed a little prematurely due to accidents (one mine, one someone else !) but still been over 24k miles on all 5.

My latest (Nov 2010) is ready for it's 12k service - been quoted £330. This seems a lot to me ?! It started at £420 but then took off gearbox and brake fluid change (£90) which is time based ( so few months left until Nov 2011).

I always had £150 for small and £200-ish for large.

What are people paying for their 12k service.....and where ?

The 12k service is an expensive one, the price you were quoted is about right, assuming that they really do do everything in the schedule. I am sure that an independent might do it for less, but that price is about right for a BMW dealer - scary innit? :(

I was thinking the plug prices were a bit off then checked the site that was posted. I didn't realise they had changed the plug size on the 10 models and the plugs are twice the price! They made of gold or something? I can get plugs, oil and airfilter on my 09 for the cost of just the plugs on the 10.

I know I will get battered for this

but here goes

Took my 53 plate Merc S Class for BIG service all plugs changed (6)

injector stripped and new copper washer fitted ,front wheels tracked and balanced brakes cleaned etc etc £286.00:D

1150 RT big one in a few weeks £240:confused:

All fluids (except clutch fluid) and spark plugs changed at 12,000 miles.

£398

Very happy with the service. :thumb2

All fluids (except clutch fluid) and spark plugs changed at 12,000 miles.

£398

Very happy with the service. :thumb2

Although probably not as happy as your dealers.....

Mine's in for its 6k tomorrow

The 12k service is an expensive one, the price you were quoted is about right, assuming that they really do do everything in the schedule. I am sure that an independent might do it for less, but that price is about right for a BMW dealer - scary innit? :(

+1, Sure is scary:mad:

I just had a 12k + Annual done on my 2008 model, looking at the schedules the FD Oil & Gearbox Oil both need doing at 12k anyway, so annual only seems to add brake fluid (I think the 2010 also needs plugs)

I asked for quotes for 12k + Annual but excluding FD Oil as Steptoe did that about 3k ago and got 3 prices - £225, £285 and £400!!!

NOG Quoted "about £400", which seemed very excessive, Bahnstormer looked OK at £285, but after the service demanded £340 and could not explain (in fact were entirely unwilling to discuss) the difference other than to blab on about me wanting brake fluid (however I aksed for a quote for the annual which includes this, so I still have no idea why the quote was wrong)

The bike was in the workshop for about 2 hours 45 minutes, but spent at least half an hour sat with oil draining and engine cooling down whilst the mechanic worked on another bike.

Fluids & filters cost around £80, leaving £260 for not much more than two hours work revealing the true labour cost somewhere in the region of £130 per hour!!! (still better than the £160 an hour NOG would have made)

I changed the FD oil myself again when fitting a new tyre, the original oil was supposedly changed at 3.5k by a dealer, Steptoe did a change at 7.5k and the stuff in the FD was filthy and a load of muck filled the drain plug, on the latest change the oil came out pretty clean (after a similar mileage of 3.5k since last change) suggesting the dealer had not changed it at 3.5k (although it appears on a bill for the service at 3.5k)

So, your mission is to find a franchised dealer that will do a proper job including all the scheduled work, without skipping some of the jobs or overcharging - Good luck matey, probably be easier to locate the Holy Grail.

Adventure Warehouse

Phone Jono and ask for a quote. Will be around £220 for that service including oil three oils changing, spark plugs(iridium's), tappets, air filter, etc etc

I have had mine serviced always at BMW, but since coming here I will not be going back.

If you can get to Salford quite easily it is a no brainer!!

when you buy a 10K bike, i would suggest it is a good idea to make sure that you can afford to run and maintain it and also that you are happy to pay these costs. autoexpress use a pence per mile system so a small family cars are about 50p a mile big things like range rovers or X5 beemer are £1.00 to£1.20 a mile. so for me a thick brummie to go to the seaside in my 50mpg diesel berlingo costs about £100 return my boss who drives a land cruiser amazon will pay £200 plus.even with me being a thick brummie i know and understand the above so to take wife kids dog to the seaside and back £100 you want to go you got to pay it simple. when i try to explain the above to people even thicker then i they think i have got my sums wrong and the cost is about 40 to 50 quid ie the cost of the fuel.
i really dislike all things car when forced to take the family out in the said berlingo with is a great car ask clarkson i spend all my time looking for bikes and wishing i was on mine even though i think it would cost more per mile, it is a price i can afford and am willing to pay because i checked out the costs before i brought the thing, £400 for a service i knew i ASKED, what can catch the gs rider out is the fact you ride them more so you end up with two visits to the workshop per year instead of the one you did on that blade/gixxer.
final thought bloke with a f800 beemer did is sums FACT everytime you fill the tank you need to set aside the same amount of cash for running costs, bit of a shock i am sure you would agree!
there are cheaper ways enfield and spanners anyone?

Some well made points, but my dealer quoted my around £200 per service when I was looking at buying a bike and then tried to whack me for £400 once I bought one :mad:

I certainly do ride the GS more, and even factored in I may go from 4-5k a year to 6-7k a year, but at (pre-purchase) quoted prices I was happy.

A mix of home and independant servicing will soon follow, and if I ever decide I want another GS it will be an out of warranty bike from a private seller or non-franchised dealer.

I think some owners are geunuinely shocked at the prices, I could stomach £90 per hour, my last service was @2 hours work + £80 parts and at the £260it should cost not too bad, especially if I believed the work was done to a high standard and the dealer was likely to offer support if something nasty (such as an FD failure) happened...

.... but £340 - £400 :eek and the fact they cannot even be bothered to get my warranty pack to me within ten months of handing over £8.5k - no thanks Mr BMW.

Just ordered some more new tools with some of the £300 I am not spending on renewing my (non existent) warranty and will probably treat myself to something else next spring when I save £350 by doing my own oil change.

rasher always enjoy reading your posts its all good fun. one of my fave jornos is honest john(the dealer you can trust) he as a website and writes in among others the telegraph and talks a lot of sense, always remember reading some chap saying how cheap it was to service is audi in france rather then the uk, honest john asked him if he was happy to see the value of his house rise year on year and went on to explain how our obsession with property and caused these problems and costs it was a bit beyond me but i could see what he was saying to service my bike i have a choice of benham or clarks the overheads at benham rent,rates and staff wages ect must be far more then say clarks or rainbow. on a personal level i have spent too many years getting my hands dirty mending bikes i just want to ride the thing now though saying that i have just been in the garage to install my new tax disc

Just had a 12000 mile service on 2010 GSA this week at Allan Jefferies.

£251.81 :thumb (and free loan of a 1200RT)

Just did a 24K and an annual, including belt change plus Iridium plugs for about £80 all in.

DIY...you know it makes sense.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom