Slovenia....

Elle

Reaction score
Been spinning several plates trying to decide where to go for my Sept holiday and have finally concluded: Slovenia - possibly Croatia and Bosnia too but only have 2 weeks.

Haven't found much info on recommended places to stay. I don't really want to camp but nor do I want to spend a fortune on sleeping. Hostels are a good compromise but only if safe parking.

Any biker friendly places out there?

:thumb

Been spinning several plates trying to decide where to go for my Sept holiday and have finally concluded: Slovenia - possibly Croatia and Bosnia too but only have 2 weeks.

Haven't found much info on recommended places to stay. I don't really want to camp but nor do I want to spend a fortune on sleeping. Hostels are a good compromise but only if safe parking.

Any biker friendly places out there?

:thumb

Stayed here year before last on my way to a rally - cheap and cheerful
http://www.booking.com/hotel/si/kri...48140700;ws=&gclid=CPeQupuy5qoCFVQLfAodWBQR9w
Lovely place is Lake Bled - keep meaning to go back to Slovenia so I can do the Russian Road
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vršič

Steve

As well as the road Steve mentions, the road from the Italian border at Lago di Predil to Bovec and then south to Postojna via the Soca valley is wonderful too.

If you look at the other Bled hotels in Steve's link you will see there are pensions from 24 euro per person for a double or 35 for a single. Check the ski resort of Kranjska Gora as you can get some cheap prices for hotels as it's out of season.

I've been to Slovenia twice - bikes were parked in a standard car park on both occasions and nobody had any worries about theft. I won't mention the hotels as the first visit was 1999 and the last hotel I used has had extensive modifications since my visit in 2005.

I've also visited Croatia, just the Istrian Peninsula and that was good too. I stayed in the swish Adriatic resort of Opatija which has some nice mountain roads nearby.

For 14 days you could easily visit both. As you are in Leeds allow at least 2 nights each way to stop en route. That leaves 10 days to enjoy yourself in the 2 countries. Don't go any further south than the Plitvik Lakes in Croatia as it's a long way down to Dalmatia & Dubrovnik: leave that & Bosnia for another time.

We did "the Russian Road" also called the Vrsic pass yesterday plus bits of the Soca Valley and on to the Passo de Predil. Great run in fantastic weather, although it is only a 155 mile route from our place we were out from 9am to 6pm-so many places to stop along the route. We and our guests ride in Slovenia often and have never had a problem. I would also suggest the Mangart Road especially in Autumn. As for Bled it can be very crowded in August but in September it should be fine. Ride out to Bohinj though I think it is less spoilt than Bled.

Slovenian drivers have a habit of crossing the white lines so you need to be aware of this on twisty roads-at least in September the roads won't be full of Italians in rented motorhomes!

Whatever you do have fun and ride safe

John

Thanks for all the tips guys.

was it the scantily clad ladies in the photo's that attracted you to it? :D

... just need to find one with scantily clad men & I'm sorted! :angel

the Istrian coast of Croatia is better for ogling scantily clad men - there seems to be quite a difference between the Slovenian & Croatian phenotype. The Slovenians look and behave more like Austrians whereas the Croatians are more like Italians in appearance and behaviour.
croatia_beach_boy_13060702.jpg

should I take any local currency or euro only?

Slovenia is in the EU and Euro currency zone so doesn't need any special consideration. All of your insurances, EHIC etc will be valid there. Credit cards are widely accepted in the touristy bits like Bled, although some of the smaller Pension style B&Bs might not take them. Cash points/ATMs are all about the place.

In Croatia, you will need local currency but the main tourist places will take cards and there will be ATMs and plenty of places exchanging euros or £ for kuna. Many restaurants will take euros as well, but the exchange rate won't be very good. This is handy if you are just popping over the border for a day trip and want a coffee or snack.

Check your insurances cover Croatia - some motor policies do, some don't as standard. Croatia can usually be added for a nominal fee if needed. If your breakdown policy does not cover Croatia, don't stress too much: ask a local to sling the bike in the back of a van and take you to the Slovenian border if the need arises.

In Croatia, you will need local currency but the main tourist places will take cards and there will be ATMs and plenty of places exchanging euros or £ for kuna. Many restaurants will take euros as well, but the exchange rate won't be very good. This is handy if you are just popping over the border for a day trip and want a coffee or snack.

thanks wessie
I was thinking beyond Slovenia but didn't express myself properly
... I don't like euro's - travelling overseas is the only time I can be a millionaire!!

....ask a local to sling the bike in the back of a van and take you to the Slovenian border if the need arises.

brilliant tip :thumb2
although fairly sure I have cover will double check :)

Hi guys
I made it to regensburg on day 1 & arrived in Ptuj at 5 today. A long hard slog in scorching heat on both days. A day to explore Ptuj tomorrow & then....?
Found a basic hostel at 16 euro per night, own room, shared bathroom (but why did she show me the men's shower room?)

Hi guys
I made it to regensburg on day 1 & arrived in Ptuj at 5 today. A long hard slog in scorching heat on both days. A day to explore Ptuj tomorrow & then....?
Found a basic hostel at 16 euro per night, own room, shared bathroom (but why did she show me the men's shower room?)

It's freezing here now in S.Wales. I've never made it that far east in Slovenia so let's have a report & some pictures please.

Enjoy the rest of the trip

and as far as where next? The World Rowing event finished today in Bled, so from tomorrow accommodation should be available and back to normal prices

In Bled myself at the moment, first time in Slovenia, lots and lots of Harleys around, as it European Bike week, just over the border in Austria. Great area and some good riding roads:beerjug:

Back home, freezing cold and a little tired. I intended doing a blog but was let down by a technical glitch (and my brain). So I'll post a brief set of pics over the weekend.

In Bled myself at the moment, first time in Slovenia, lots and lots of Harleys around, as it European Bike week, just over the border in Austria. Great area and some good riding roads:beerjug:

Hi Gadget
I left Bled the day you posted but have only just read it. Hope you had a great time.
Went to Faak a couple of years ago. One night of Harley's was enough for me. But on my way home, I met a couple on an Electra Glide & at that point, I would have swapped my house for the comfy armchair seat they had :rob

Back
Top Bottom