istanbul on a budget

Try having a ride in Istanbul, or at the end of the day during Ramazan, or anywhere away from the west coast...it all changes very quickly.

There would have been a radar warning sign before the unmarked car, but it's a small triangular thing placed at the side of the road which if you don't know to look out for is easily missed.

Try having a ride in Istanbul, or at the end of the day during Ramazan, or anywhere away from the west coast...it all changes very quickly.

There would have been a radar warning sign before the unmarked car, but it's a small triangular thing placed at the side of the road which if you don't know to look out for is easily missed.

Hehehe that's why I preferred walking at Istanbul :) and it was Ramazan (darn...try catching up some food after the sunset - that was more terrifying :D -)

The little triangular radar warning sign is at ground level and says "Hiz Kontrol" and there can be quite some distance between the sign and the radar. Last week we were between Sivas and Erzincan and I saw the sign and slowed down and rode for about 3km and figured it was all clear. We came over the hill and there was the gray Renault, taking readings. 140TL to me... Lately it is always a gray Renault Clio that is the radar car. They do allow you to go ten percent over the limits which are 10k less per hour than cars.

Don't try to bribe a traffic cop. That ended about fives years ago when they brought in the type of radar that reports every record and ticket to a central control station. This is also why it is pointless to argue with the police. They have no room to use their own discretion because they are being watched as well.

Lately it is always a gray Renault Clio that is the radar car.

on the road atm, 3000kms later I got caught out (114kph = 140tl fine :blast) by an unmarked burgundy megane near alanya, 2 days ago I saw a green corolla with the radar gun and prior to that they were either marked cars or a mixture between meganes and fords....no clios though.

L - try Bempar in Topkapi for cheaper oem parts. battery there will set you back about 300TL, this was in May though so the exchange rate boom might have hiked the prices up but back then it was still about 150tl less than those thieving gits @ borusan!

Back
Top Bottom