Brake fade

ampthill

Reaction score
Currently having a great time touring the Dolomites. :) However having some problems with brake fade when travelling enthusiastically down some of the longer mountain passes (2 up with luggage)-brake lever needing to come back fully to the bar to get any significant braking effect. Of course also using engine braking (infact would have been a serious problem if I wasn't :rolleyes: ) Problem disappears once brakes had time to cool.

Had the bike serviced just before I left UK - including brake fluid change. Brakes feel OK in normal use i.e in the UK- just seem to object to heavy use on downhill mountain passes, but would have expected modern brake systems to cope with such usage.
Any one else had similar problems?

Peter
2010 r1200rt

No. I went to the alps in May and mine were fine. I'd just fitted a pair of pads from steptoe the week before. Are your pads a bit old?

12 months isn't old enough for pads to degrade - are you sure they're clean?

Just to be sure I'd change them anyway and clean the discs & calipers thoroughly.

12 months isn't old enough for pads to degrade - are you sure they're clean?

Just to be sure I'd change them anyway and clean the discs & calipers thoroughly.

Pads and discs are spotless :thumb :)

Update: took the bike for a check by the dealer. They report the abs control unit is faulty and they will replace under warranty. Not sure how this relates to the fade issue but if they feel it is necessary to replace it under warranty not going to complain. Note that it was only serviced a month ago all and no abs warning lights have ever come on.

Peter

Recently toured the Alps, Swiss and Italian and onto Dolomites and total front brake failure on downhill Stelvio hairpin N0.29 with 19 more to go! Brake fade occured at hairpin N0.30 and then total loss.

After a 20 a minute cool down all was fine. BMW F650 at the time 2 up and luggage... but no Andrex!!!

Servo brakes was the upgrade no one wanted, if there was a simple way to remove it I would…

Back
Top Bottom