We'll be there

Cheers,
    Andy

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Le train now booked
    Evil C

Hello Richard,

I acknowledge your list is closed, but please put myself and mrs dxtans as a reserve

thanks
    David
    David is...
    Going Down on a Signal 15 !

Runny eggs and strangers, white lines and unmade beds.
    I've only just seen this.

If there are any drop-outs, I may be interested.

Even if not, I may wander over with you on day one before peeling off in search of cheap tobacco products...

A caring tosser would lay on a huge breakfast for you on the day of departure, a protein- and fat-rich early morning to see through through a weekend of continental fripperie. If anyone's interested, let me know.

(Won't you be away for the RWC Final??? )

MESSAGE TO RASHER....

RASHER,

I AM TRYING TO CONTACT YOU VIA PM......

BUT, I AM GETTING 'UNAVAILABLE' BOUNCEBACKS.

PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP.

THANK YOU.

RICHARD

All sorted.

I will tidy-up the route, put some basic notes together on what we can see and that will be it.

As usual, I will PM everyone with my mobile no. just in case of problems. Other than that:

Full tank getting off the train, please.

On getting off the train, let's gather up at the first fuel station on the left, just to make sure we have everyone.

That's it, you all know the score

PS Rory, don't forget your strides, mate!

I have just reconfirmed all our rooms with the hotel and that we will be eating in their restaurant.

Richard

I have near enough tidied-up the routes, building in some alternative ways of coming back, depending on the time.

I am away in Sweden Tuesday / Wednesday. I will finish it all off by Thursday evening and lob it up here.

Richard

Take it easy eating all that Smörgĺsbord ......

Quote Originally Posted by giles lamb View Post
    Take it easy eating all that Smörgĺsbord ......
    I was, for a while, unable to eat salmon in any form, having had my fill of it.

Even though it's not salmon, I do (sometimes) blanch at Surströmming* unless fortified with copious amounts of aquavit. Either that or the perfume of the brokerage outweighed the stink of the risk.... so I tucked in with gusto.

*Which is what you are probably thinking of. Smörgĺsbord is a very different kettle of fish and really quite innocent,

Fill yer boots, as they say: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sur...ient=firefox-a

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post

Ha Ha.....

My child like brain homed in on the '18 stinky foods from around the world' result in your link!

Most of them seem to be rotten fish

stick to the Akvavit!

Hi Richard,
    Is packed lunch the order of the day for Saturday ?

Kev

Looks like your set for some decent weather

I wish I could have got another jolly in before winter bites, but unemployment is still biting at my arse, hopefully the recession will end before the fuel runs out

Hello everyone.

All behind, like the donkey's tail I'm afraid.... Not helped by a day lost in Sweden and a drama at work (not life threatening) late afternoon, so a late arrival home this evening. Hey-ho.

As promised I have tidied up the routes and lobbed the Mapsource file onto DropBox for you to download.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Oct...me%20jaunt.gdb

As you will see:

(a) There is a slower and a much faster way down. Both are similar mileages but the quicker one with a chunk of payage before St Pol. The slower one takes us down to the west, then south, missing out chunks of payage. I have included the faster one in case we (or anyone) has a problem at Calais.

(b) There are two stages to day two's ride. The first, round in a sort of clockwise half loop to the Australian memorial, just south of Corbie. The second, back up to Calais, via a choice: Faster or slower.

I have half an eye that the light is going (and it gets a bit chilly) but we should be OK.

The second day's ride is still 150 miles or so, plus we are going to stop at some WW1 sites. So we do need to start out at around 09:00 if we are not going to be chasing our tails too much.

===============================================

There is quite a few of us, so we will definitely use the drop-off 'marker' system.

Lunch we will have to have on the hoof somewhere.

Thinking about it - and thanks for the reminder KevB I think it WOULD be a good idea to bring a packed lunch on Saturday.

With a straight run - on the quickest option - we would be in Albert by 13:00 for sure. But one delay (or a biggish group) means we could well drop behind on the slower route, not least as we will stop for a coffee somewhere. I suggest we plan to bring a packed lunch. But, if we see somewhere to stop to eat in a cafe, we can stop. If we do, the sandwiches won't go off and we can scoff them on Sunday, instead. As we know when we came back from Ypres, cafes can suddenly vanish just when you want one.... and a bicycle race block a road.

I will PM you all my mobile no.

As Rasher (who had hoped to join us) says: The weather looks OK..... be prepared if it ain't.

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/fr/.../forecast.aspx

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/fr/.../forecast.aspx

We can guess that it will be chilly coming off the train, with maybe some frost on Saturday and Sunday morning judging by the overnight temperatures.

===============================================

I have cobbled together some guff on the bits we will see.

DAY ONE

Beaumont Hamel, the sunken road & Newfoundland Memorial Park

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/beaumont.html

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/som...foundland.html

DAY TWO

Thiepval & Ulster Tower

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/thiepval.html

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/ulstertower.html

Longueval & Caterpillar valley

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/longueval.html

Villers-Bretonneux, Australian National Memorial

http://www.ww1westernfront.gov.au/villers-bretonneux/