Harley on a Budget, Advice please?

I went to a harley rally organised by De savary held at littlecote house back in 1988, or it could have been 1989. :cool: They roasted a whole Ox on a spit :drool

And De savary has form for non payment. He still owes me £16 from the bill for my photographs he used in the advertising campaign in his attempt to win the 1983 americas cup yacht race :( You may scoff ( £16 was a good night out back then), but it's the principal. The mans a wanker.

I (representing THROB -The Harley Riders of Berkshire) and HDRCGB had several meetings with him in the early 90's to try and get a rally organised. I went to the last one there in 1990. I think he was struggling then to stay afloat financially and in fact Littlecote was sold soon after. They were hard times especially for anybody involved in property. If I recollect there were a lot of rumours about him at the time but he seems to have survived and thrived!

Definitely need to keep a count of your fingers when dealing with him.....

nothing wrong with an ultra glide classic ,dont believe every thing you hear about the electrics will go wrong ,talk to some one who has owned one of these...

I've owned 2 Ultra's, a '95 and a '96... both bought new.

The '95 was so bad (purely electrical problems) that after huge amounts of warranty work, HD UK actually replaced the bike, for a '96 one...

The '96 never went wrong in the short time I owned it.

But the '95 left me stranded so many times (inc. in France) that it just had to go...

Put a few more pennies in the Harley jar today. Just need one of you guys to sell me a bargain and I'll be sorted :thumb

Ive been looking around and in fact been to Riders of Bristol. They were surprisingly unhelpful?

I ride in on a Fat Boy EVO, 99(T), wonder around the bikes, look closely at a few including demo's, have a cuppa, wonder round a bit more, looking closely at a Softail Deluxe, spent about 20 minutes in total, not one salesman made an attempt to ask me if i needed anything/help etc.

Business must be good......

Found this,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...LOW-RIDER/1996/_/R-NXGN-7567573?mfy=52.547187

Looks too cheap? tried to contact the guy to no avail.....

My initial idea was to buy a cheaper HD to compliment the RT, using the RT for long distances and the HD as a 'toy'. Now ive done a bit of research it would appear the ones i can afford, i dont like :confused:

So, a 'quandry'. Should i sell the RT & buy the HD I really want?

I know i would miss the RT but winters coming, plus the RT will depreciate quicker than a Harley, i think?

Someone help me!!!!!!:blast:blast:blast

Thanks David, just helping the kids with there homework, i'll call you later if thats OK?

So, a 'quandry'. Should i sell the RT & buy the HD I really want?

I know i would miss the RT but winters coming, plus the RT will depreciate quicker than a Harley, i think?

Someone help me!!!!!!:blast:blast:blast

I've tried to help you but you are clearly more stupid than even I thought :kissy2

Everyone ive spoken to says dont buy an 883 but why not??

My missus had an 883 as her first big bike. Not exactly the most powerful bike on the road. It was an 05 bike, the finish was apalling, rusted before your eyes. didnt handle, didnt stop. uncomfortable... oh and did i mention, not exactly the most powerful bike on the road!!!

It was an 05 bike, the finish was apalling, rusted before your eyes...

HD's have had this problem for decades...

Either buy one that's had the frame & swingarm (at the very least) powder coated, or accept that if you use it at all, the bloody thing will deteriorate alarmingly fast.

Some engine finishes are better than others, but the alloy wheels, hubs, spokes, anything chrome, fasteners, steel fenders, etc. are all vulnerable to what I would call 'reasonable use'.

How much worse they are than a new 1200GS, is open to question :augie

Nothing that a quick respray and a de chrome wouldn't fix! :p

Agreed, but after doing all that, you'd end up with a pretty expensive Road King...

Still, there's a certain type of Harley rider that'll love this bike, just as it is :blast

Back
Top Bottom