the RT vs GS thing

Bob E

Reaction score
Interesting to see all this stuff re. rt/gs I always fancied a gs since the black and yellow bumble bee version, but could not live with the seat height so went with the road versions, Am presently using my second R1200rt but had been thinking of going for the 1200gs now that it has a nice low seat height,and is a bit lighter,and what happens ? you lot start buying RT's .I'm confused, was I doing it right all along? Scanned some dealer websites and guess what ? lots of GS for sale very few RT's. think I'll stick with what I've got for a while yet. If any one changed to a low suspension gs I'd like to know what you thought of it in comparsion .

I think there’s loads of GS’s in the dealers because that’s what BMW have sold most of in the last few years, so don’t worry about that’s one.

And by the way, loved riding the GS I had on loan till the weather turned crap for the 900 mile ride home...

I have had my 2010 gs twin cam from new and after 16k miles was thinking of changing it to an rt for better weather protection on my winter commute, lower seat, and two up annual touring holiday. Had a test ride today but have decided to stay with the gs. Why ?

my impression is that the rt is smoother, quieter, more comfortable riding position and less wobbly in slow moving traffic. It feels much heavier and while it can be hustled along through the twisties it has a completely different feel to the GS. The response to steering input is not as easy or responsive as the GS and it kind of steers itself ( drops in ) in slow roundabouts and corners. I know it was only a test ride but I just didn't find as confidence inspiring for chucking into bends, nipping in and out for quick overtakes etc. but once its leaned over it is very stable - bends seem to need a bit more forward planning than on the the Gs like riding a harley or thunderbird.

Because it is less raucous than the gs it seems slower on the throttle and i found myself gassing it a lot harder than I seem to on the gs to get the forward momentum I wanted. Part of this is just that the smoothness and comfort mean higher speeds seems less so.

I've got an adventure screen/winglets on my Gs and tbh I was disappointed that albeit on a windy day the Rt cockpit was n't significantly quieter or less buffeting. The electric screen is fun but quite intrusive to vision in the highest position whereas i just look over the top of my adventure screen and am not conscious of it all. I also found the gs speedo easier to read - less of a look down.

So I went to the dealers ( great non pushy advice and approach from Alan Jeffries - I will be going back to buy something else no doubt) expecting to go for a RT and focussing on the things about my Gs that I don't like - the long way down thing etc- but got back on my bike, tore up the A65 from shipley to the lakes and fell back in love with the GS. The short answer to all this analysis is that for me the is Gs just a lot more fun to ride and in the end that's why I ride. Can certainly see why others might go for an RT for longer distance touring but as a sports tourer I have to say that my Ducati ST3S is in another league for throttle response and handling and is comfortable enough for the 300 miles days I have done.

hope this contributes to the RT v GS discussion - again whatever your choice they are both great bikes :thumb

I see no rivalry.

Totally different vehicles sharing a common engine.

GS handles.

RT does not handle.

:beerjug:

Are there not hundreds of other bikes with fairings that will do everything the RT will (and probably better)

The GS is only just really starting to get some proper rivals with the 1200 Tenere and the upcoming 1200 Triumph, Honda Crossdresser etc.

I think the GS is a great fun bike for any roads, any weather :blagblah and the quirky low powered engine is perfectly adequate.

There are so many great faired bikes out there that can make good tourers, some need luggage adding, others may need a taller screen / bar risers and a few other mods to improve long distance comfort but the choice is endless, and most will have more power and better handling.

Most the Jap stuff will probably cost a fair bit less, the only advantage the RT appears to have in my book is the Shaft drive (and an unreliable one at that)

I may be missing something but I just cannot see what the RT has going for it, it just seems to be a bike that is 3 decades behind the competition :nenau

Are there not hundreds of other bikes with fairings that will do everything the RT will (and probably better)

I may be missing something but I just cannot see what the RT has going for it, it just seems to be a bike that is 3 decades behind the competition :nenau

Bit of a puzzle why its the best selling tourer out there then, perhaps everyone is missing your point, :D
Personally, I agree with the majority, There is not a tourer out there that comes close to the RT for all round capability

But you know that of course, your just a bit of a troll really, ar'nt you "Rasher" :D

not ridden one, but every review i've ever read of the RT has been full of praise for the bike. i might consider one when i get old :D

besides which, not everyone wants a generic japanese 4.

I disagree with comments about the RTs handling... It's great... Id go as far as saying it out handles the competition like Pans, FJR, GTR... Other faired bikes like CBF and bandits don't offer the touring capability or get anywhere near the handling...

I think I'd have one over a K13 GT because it weighs less...

Dare I say it, but if you stay on the black stuff it's probably a better choice than the GS..

It has a very bland old image though.. As all touring bikes do...

Review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJkqdXEQmOE

As far as the older ones are concerned, I have an 1100GS which I have owned for 20K of it 90K and also an 1100RT which I have now covered 2K on.
In my opinion the only advantages the RT has over the GS is the superior protection when it is raining and it is marginally easier to ride at crawling speeds.
The RT is a great bike and handles well enough (better than the ST1100 I once owned), but not as well as the GS.,
You can get quite warm on the RT on hotter days so much so that I have found myself spreading my legs to get a bit of air flow over them.
My wife much prefers being on the back of the GS and I have to say I get more helmet collisions when we are on the RT.
If I had to choose it would be an easy decision. GS every time:thumb2

Such as? FJR1300, Pan Euro 1300, GTR 1400, Moto Guzzi Norge? That's a long way from hundreds unless you are including bikes that are not full on tourers.

Rasher said:
There are so many great faired bikes out there that can make good tourers, some need luggage adding, others may need a taller screen / bar risers and a few other mods to improve long distance comfort but the choice is endless, and most will have more power and better handling.

How about some examples.

Rasher said:
Most the Jap stuff will probably cost a fair bit less, the only advantage the RT appears to have in my book is the Shaft drive (and an unreliable one at that)

1200RT list price = £12550
FJR1300 = £15500
Pan Euro = £14000
GTR1400 = £13299

More of your shite about the final drives.

Rasher said:

Are you talking about the R100RT when you say it is 3 decades behind the competition? You would be right but then that was released in 1979. As for the 1200RT it is clear you haven't ridden one and know bugger all about them.

Bit of a puzzle why its the best selling tourer out there then, perhaps everyone is missing your point, :D
Personally, I agree with the majority, There is not a tourer out there that comes close to the RT for all round capability

But you know that of course, your just a bit of a troll really, ar'nt you "Rasher" :D

+1 :thumb2

For me, the RT is all about options. When I ride to work early in the morning, I have the suspension in comfort, heated seats/grips on, screen right up and ride it like a scooter with not many gear changes - just roll it on.

Returning from work, depending on traffic, suspension in Normal or Sport, screen lower and can really enjoy the handling - which is superb, no question. In Sport, it feels light and lively and every bit as good in corners as my old VRF800 or Aprilia Mille.

It will then cope with the Missus on the back on weekend rideouts or using it for my IAM/NEG work......:rob

As for the 1200RT it is clear you haven't ridden one and know bugger all about them.

Your right there, it is only from looking at them, they appear dated and heavy and the engine is light years behind modern engines, even other Adventure bikes really show up the weakness of the engine, the Super Tenere is far smoother and just as quick, the Tiger 1050 is more powerful and smoother and the MTS lump is just leagues ahead.

I paid £7900 for my ZZR1400, by the time I reworked the suspension (Including Ohlins shock) added hard luggage, reworked the seat, Autocom, fitted risers and a taller screen it still stood me in at under ten grand (I suppose at today's prices this would be about £11.5k)

I know you could argue it ain't a tourer, but it was a bloody fast bike with unlimited grunt, dead smooth motor, handling only a smidge off that of a full on supersports bike and with a 200 mile range.

I would not fancy a FJR, but I would assume them to be superior to the RT in handling, and I know the engine is far more powerful and much smoother and I would guess the comfort similar.

All of these behemoths (FJR's / PAN's etc) are not my cuppa tea at all as although they would wisk me to the Alps in comfort I suspect I would not want to ride them through bends all day long once I got there.

Maybe when I am too old to enjoy corners anymore and just want to look at the views I will buy one - but a car will do that job as well and with even better weather protection.

My current thinking on a tourer (and current thinking changes with age, hence the ZZR is no longer a tourer in my mind) would be alonmg the lines of a large faired bike like the Suzuki 1250

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/gsx1250fal0st/

These can be had with luggage for under £7750 (and at 0% finance) I would Ohlins it up and get the forks reworked at which point the handling would be pretty awesome and with the £4k I have saved over the RT I would book up a load of Alpine Hotels and go have some fun!

In the Alps last year I met a chap on an earlier version, he had covered 82k on the thing and apart from routine servicing he had nothing done until 78k when it needed a wheel bearing just before this latest trip.

If it was not that locally I ride a lot of unclassified roads and like the ability to take to unpaved roads in places like the Alps I would probably be looking to buy something like that.

Suzuki 1250 - Its cheap for a reason, The tea lad designed it from bits in the parts bin
gsx1250fa_st.jpg

Your right there, it is only from looking at them, they appear dated and heavy and the engine is light years behind modern engines, even other Adventure bikes really show up the weakness of the engine, the Super Tenere is far smoother and just as quick, the Tiger 1050 is more powerful and smoother and the MTS lump is just leagues ahead.

It's funny that the biking press (you know, those guys who get to ride pretty much all the bikes out there) don't rate the engine as light years behind the competition. The other bikes mentioned won't have anything like the same degree of weather protection that the RT has.

Rasher said:
I paid £7900 for my ZZR1400, by the time I reworked the suspension (Including Ohlins shock) added hard luggage, reworked the seat, Autocom, fitted risers and a taller screen it still stood me in at under ten grand (I suppose at today's prices this would be about £11.5k)

I know you could argue it ain't a tourer, but it was a bloody fast bike with unlimited grunt, dead smooth motor, handling only a smidge off that of a full on supersports bike and with a 200 mile range.

It ain't a tourer. Fact. As for the 200 mile range, the guy on the tour I went on last year who was riding one was getting nowhere near that figure.

Rasher said:
I would not fancy a FJR, but I would assume them to be superior to the RT in handling, and I know the engine is far more powerful and much smoother and I would guess the comfort similar.

You would assume wrong. Fancy that, assumption number 135 by Rasher that is wrong.:rolleyes: Yes, the engine is more powerful in terms of BHP (145 v 110) but then the FJR is 45kg heavier than the RT, so the advantage of that extra power is eroded by the big increase in weight.

Rasher said:
All of these behemoths (FJR's / PAN's etc) are not my cuppa tea at all as although they would wisk me to the Alps in comfort I suspect I would not want to ride them through bends all day long once I got there.

Granted the Pan, FJR and GTR are all heavy beasts and much heavier than the RT, but maybe you should try them before coming to any conclusions. My RT in the Alps and Dolomites last year was an absolute pleasure in the passes, even two up with luggage. So not only did it get me there in comfort but it gave me great fun in the twisties too.

Rasher said:
Maybe when I am too old to enjoy corners anymore and just want to look at the views I will buy one - but a car will do that job as well and with even better weather protection.

More of your bollocks, but then that seems to be your forte, spouting rubbish about bikes you haven't even ridden.

Rasher said:
My current thinking on a tourer (and current thinking changes with age, hence the ZZR is no longer a tourer in my mind) would be alonmg the lines of a large faired bike like the Suzuki 1250

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/gsx1250fal0st/

These can be had with luggage for under £7750 (and at 0% finance) I would Ohlins it up and get the forks reworked at which point the handling would be pretty awesome and with the £4k I have saved over the RT I would book up a load of Alpine Hotels and go have some fun!

In the Alps last year I met a chap on an earlier version, he had covered 82k on the thing and apart from routine servicing he had nothing done until 78k when it needed a wheel bearing just before this latest trip.

If it was not that locally I ride a lot of unclassified roads and like the ability to take to unpaved roads in places like the Alps I would probably be looking to buy something like that.

It seems your idea of a tourer is at odds with the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom