the RT vs GS thing

There's nothing wrong with either bike. It's the rider that's the problem!

Some like the GS's some the RT's. I'm an RT man, ridden more than a few GS's when on "loan" from dealer as my RT's serviced.

I just prefer the RT, simple as that.

\v/

I own a GS and borrow an RT on the weekends sometimes. The RT has excellent wind protection. I've ridden it in the rain without rain gear and stayed mostly dry. Great for cold weather, kind of sucks in hot weather when you wish more air was hitting you. I don't like the riding position. My feet always hit the fairing when I put them down at a stoplight. It seems more awkward with a passenger at parking lot speeds. It's the type of bike that makes it seem like you are going 50 when you are really going 80, which I don't like.

Both bikes handle great in the corners. The RT is better on the freeway. The GS fits me perfect and I like the wider bars. I've done some touring on it. It's great on dirt roads or paved roads in poor condition. I always feel more confident on the GS. I definitely prefer the GS and can't think of a bike that I would rather own.

Beg to differ! Owning a RT and borrowing a GS for the vary rare times off road is the way to go!��

For as often as many GS owners take their dual-sport towards unsurfaced journeys, you have a point there.
nod.gif

Bloody Bikes

I have had a 1100gs 1150gs 1150rt and now a 1200rt, all good bikes, best one was the 1100gs before every fecker in the UK saw long way down and half of UK got one!, Dealers boomed, Bikes sold in vast numbers, All the shite you add on ie tourashite, etc, millions spent. Now the bubble has popped. Dealers are full of the GS style bikes with the engine cover rotting away still demanding top buck to buy a bugger. It doesnt matter what bike you buy just use it!:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah

I have had a 1100gs 1150gs 1150rt and now a 1200rt, all good bikes, best one was the 1100gs before every fecker in the UK saw long way down and half of UK got one!, Dealers boomed, Bikes sold in vast numbers, All the shite you add on ie tourashite, etc, millions spent. Now the bubble has popped. Dealers are full of the GS style bikes with the engine cover rotting away still demanding top buck to buy a bugger. It doesnt matter what bike you buy just use it!:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah
It could so easily have been KTM :D

Each to their own

I ride a 2007 RT all year round - usually with the wife on board.

We are just back from a 10 day 1200GS (2011 model) holiday in southern Spain. It was the perfect bike for the twisties down there, however I don't want the same whilst travelling 110 miles from London to Leics two or three days a week. I much prefer the extra weather protection of the RT

There is no doubt to me that the GS feels lighter and that the RT (if you ride shortly afterwards) feels like it want's to fall over in the corners, but for my mix of riding I prefer the RT

I have a 1150 Gs have had a 1100RT both bikes have their merits the weather protection on the RT was great bike started playing up couldn't find problem local bm mechanic said he had the GS for sale gave what i wanted for the RT he had serviced the RT from new so knew it had a problem and i thought i am not riding all year round now try the GS.

Lovely bike if you don't mind getting cold and wet

Now looking to change so went to local dealers took out the GSA instantly noticed legs not getting cold better protection took it back took out the RT again good protection but nothing that said it was better than the GSA

so dilema RT with radio,cruise,heated seats or GSA with bluetooth headset with radio built in no heated seats and no cruise

do you know what i cannot make my mind up so looks like the 1150 will be staying in the garage

might have to get SWMBO to sit on the back of both see what she thinks

I started this thread ages ago not thinking it would run and run, Still none the wiser though re. the low suspension version.
Perhaps I've had the near perfect combination all the time,and didn't know it.
07 R1200rt se for two up travel and holidays, and a nice lightweight,reliable
06 650 suzuki v-strom for solo touring .In case anyone is curious, I've put on 21 ltr givi panniers and a big top box ,baglux tank harness and bag.Standard equipment included hand guards, heated grips, center stand. The mudguards are effective , the fairing is very good, the tank goes about 300 miles and the top speed on the clock is about 130, fuel consumption ave. 55-58mpg, and it cruses at a relaxed 80-90 indicated. Sound similar to anything you else you know of? Oh!! the engine is the smoothest I've ever used in 40 odd years of biking.And the finish is unmarked though I admit i'm fastidious about cleaning . The best bit , cost me £5000 new. What's not to like.
So why am I still getting twitchy about a low suspension gs? There is no logic when it comes to buying motorbikes I think.

I'll join in.......

I am too loving the RT.
Couple of minus points when compared to the GS; it isn't very good on sections of my commute. ie. not as easy to wiggle through gaps, and the plastics mean that maintenance takes longer.

But everything else is better!!
More weather protection, more comfort, easier to manoeuvre (apart from narrow gaps!), better for luggage, better for two up riding.

And some really useful touches.... the glove box, plenty of room under seat for gadgets and tools, heated seats.

Other things are similar... same great engine, shaft drive and suspension system.

Was in the dealer yesterday (replacing some luggage parts) and looked at my old GS. I miss it a bit, but it now looks so skinny and tall! How did I ever sit on that seat for whole days?!

Feck me all these people cruising effortlessly at 100mph+ speeds, seemingly for hour after hour. Pray do tell of this paradise with no traffic and no police patrols.
I've often even found the derestricted german autobahns too cluttered to travel at such speeds safely.

Try the Odos Egnatia from Igoumenitsa to Kavalla ( northern Greek mountains via Thesssaloniki)

The two things I recognise between my RT and my GSA, is I'm not the tallest person in world, and both my feet reach the ground on the RT, the riding position is almost identical (for me).

And I enjoy listening to the radio fitted, on the daily commute, breaks the routine.

:blagblah

I'll join in.......

I am too loving the RT.
Couple of minus points when compared to the GS; it isn't very good on sections of my commute. ie. not as easy to wiggle through gaps, and the plastics mean that maintenance takes longer.

But everything else is better!!
More weather protection, more comfort, easier to manoeuvre (apart from narrow gaps!), better for luggage, better for two up riding.

And some really useful touches.... the glove box, plenty of room under seat for gadgets and tools, heated seats.

Other things are similar... same great engine, shaft drive and suspension system.

Was in the dealer yesterday (replacing some luggage parts) and looked at my old GS. I miss it a bit, but it now looks so skinny and tall! How did I ever sit on that seat for whole days?!

Disagree with the luggage, took a bag straight out of my vario pannier on the GS expecting it to go straight into the the right RT pannier and it wouldnt fit! Had to split it up to ride away from the dealers, I didnt expect that.

Disagree with the luggage, took a bag straight out of my vario pannier on the GS expecting it to go straight into the the right RT pannier and it wouldnt fit! Had to split it up to ride away from the dealers, I didnt expect that.

The pannier's are a completely different shape :nenau

The pannier's are a completely different shape :nenau

His quote was 'they are better for luggage'. They aren't, no confusion, they are just smaller (or less user friendly) than the varios. I took one bag out of my top box and had to use both side panniers on the RT. Look nice though.

Ah..... IMHO they ARE better for luggage.

I mean the BIKE (thought that is what this thread is about) is better for luggage. It carries the weight lower down and closer to the centre of gravity of the bike. That's panniers, rack/top box, tankbag.

I'm sure that the panniers take more than my old Varios did..... and again, lower down= better balance= better for luggage :)

BTB, you seem to be comparing top box capacity with pannier usability too :nenau
RT's 49l top box is waaay bigger than a vario one!

Back
Top Bottom