New Guzzis: How reliable are they?

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know Moto Guzzi went through a bad patch regarding Dealers, reliabilty and parts back up about 4 or 5 years ago. Have things improved now?
I like the look of the California Vintage. :cool:

Attachments

• california-vintage.jpg
    california-vintage.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,053
My local dealer reckons they are now quite decent, but did say getting hold of parts is sometimes a problem and they can wait weeks when the factory shuts in the summer - which is when your most likely to really want to be riding the bike.

I did quite fancy the Stelvio, but could not bring myself to risk it, so when I change the BMW it will have to be Honda or Yamaha, a bit dull, but reliable, cheap to run and parts are unlikely to be an issue.

When I looked at a new Stelvio NTX earlier in the year it was one of the questions I asked the dealer, he was very open about the problems of a couple of years ago ,ie faulty hardening on top end components and final drive failures, but said they were quickly sorted.

BMW take note in the case of the FD it was redesigned and the bearings were up specced and all older bikes were retro fitted at Guzzi's expense.

The finish on the new bikes was as good if not better than my 2011 Adventure BUT and this is the main reason I didn't go for the Guzzi was a lack of local dealers and its residual values after 3 years it would be worth approx 50% of the BM despite a similar purchase price.

If you buy s/hand they are a bit of a bargain, two mates of mine owned 1200 sports and they were totally reliable , they loved the bikes to bits and they had bags of character

Had a 1200 Sport for a couple of years, great finish a same can-bus system wiring. Was 2 valve model which was IMO the best as compared to the new 4 valve engine. In Scotland there is only 2 or 3 dealers but thats the same as BMW dealers as far as I'm aware. Bike was totally reliable during the time I had it, residual sale values are an issue but not my first concern when I buy a bike..

Mine was reliable, 4 valve engine - but far too uncomfortable.

hwwuhu.jpg

They are probably no worse than BMWs. I bought a new Stelvio in May 2009, covered 10,000 miles, I suffered a speedo sensor failure, and a misfire, both fixed very easily under warranty. I have just taken delivery of a new Stelvio NTX, the improvements made to this model have made a great bike even better, and is definately now a better bike than my old GS1150 (I never contemplated replacing the 1150 with a GS1200), also my Stelvio didn't use oil like the oilhead BMWs.
I have a pal in Scotland ( previously owned an R1150GS ADV for several years) whose Stelvio stays outside on the road uncovered, is used all year round and has now nearly done 10k without any issues, and has not suffered from the corrosion issues that have plagued modern BMWs. I have two other mates with Guzzis, one a California Vintage and the other is also a Stelvio owner, neither bikes have had reliability problems.
They are as easy to service as a GS, the engine and gearbox design is well proven, yes a few more dealers would be helpful (my nearest is 40 miles away) but if I service it myself at the end of the warranty period as I did my last one then the service items are readily available by post from good dealers such as Corsa Italia, and Twiggers.
I still have BMW in the form of a 1990 R100GS, the next BMW I own will be of similar vintage or older, I doubt I will ever own a modern BMW again.

Sat on a 2009 Cali Vintage today and it felt very nice....................tempted and gonna test ride it, if it's still available in 10 days time

i would buy one happily - if i could.
Though my old Cali is not the same kettle of fish - i get all my s/hands bits from 'Reboot' in France and new parts from 'Motomecca' (U.K.)
IF i could do the same with a new model, i'd feel i'd have all the back up i would ever need.

I would not rely on there ever being an adequate 'main dealer' back up... there never has been up to now! :D

Never been that keen on the look of those new cali's,don't know why.
What do you class as new? That V11 Sport I had was great but then all the electrics had been replaced and everything acid dipped and repowder coated to replace the shit original finish. Only real problemI had with it in 12 months was having to replace the speedo drive 3 times cos the bastard thing was made of cheese.

Thank's for the replys everyone. There are some new bikes around with big discounts at the moment which would take some of the depreciation factor out of buying (but is a bit rough for people who paid full RRP during the summer). I like low tech bikes with character and the California Vintage seems to fullfill that critera. I took a Harley switchback out last week but it's £5k dearer and 100lbs heavier with belt drive not shaft like the Cali so the Guzzi looks a better bike. I have an old Honda Pan I ride through the winter or when I want to go a long way fast and I was thinking something like the Guzzi would be a good machine to have parked beside it for chilled out riding.

Had one on loan for a week and compared to the earlier one i had they are much improved on the ridability front, ie they stop/go/handle much better. When you have had a few bikes its all about character and these have it, odd thing they physically look a lot smaller than the early ones :nenau
I like Guzzi's with the exception of the sport.

California Vintage vs. Harley Switchback

Interesting choice... :augie

If it was me I'd look out for a s/h Cali Vintage in the next few months, for around £5000 or so...

Or a slightly older Cali. EV for around £3000 or so...

Either would be a great 'lo-fi' touring bike :thumb2

For my two cents the Vintage is a cracking looking modern classic! I've owned 3 MGs over the years, all Cali's of various vintage and thoroughly enjoyed all of them, even 'Guzmode', the old Cali 3 I chopped!

Two things that horrified me with the marque was 1) show it a grey cloud and the chrome would rust before your eyes and 2) the cost for a clutch replacement in the workshop. We're talking stupid money.
In fact I was so in need of a sit down after being priced for the latter that I decided to make my own clutch replacement tools and set about changing my clutch for a fraction of the cost. :thumb

Would I have another Guzzi? That depends on the quality of finish in current times and whether or not later Guzbags would lend themselves to being outside in all weathers, not just under grey clouds!

Two things that horrified me with the marque was 1) show it a grey cloud and the chrome would rust before your eyes and 2) the cost for a clutch replacement in the workshop. We're talking stupid money...
FWIW,
quality of finish seems to depend on year of manufacture or perhaps mood of quality control dept. at the time! :D
a gent that knows a lot more than me (Pete, of 'Reboot guzzi spares') told me mine was a good one as '89 to '93 carbed Cali's were good because paint and chrome were better than earlier carbed or later F.I. models. Also from mid '89 they had a deeper splined clutch. some earlier ones could shred the splines apparently - (but i'm no expert on this).

To me Guzzi's are comparable to wine;
some are good years worth keeping - enjoying and savouring / some should be dumped at the end of the production line! :D

just my 2 cents. :nenau

My 06 1100 Griso which I've had for two years now has, so far, been 100% reliable. The build quality is, I think, really good with high spec componentry and cycle parts used throughout.

Mind you, in true Guzzi fashion, it has to have some quirks - with mine it's the clocks that mist up :rolleyes:

Andres

FWIW,
quality of finish seems to depend on year of manufacture or perhaps mood of quality control dept. at the time! :D
a gent that knows a lot more than me (Pete, of 'Reboot guzzi spares') told me mine was a good one as '89 to '93 carbed Cali's were good because paint and chrome were better than earlier carbed or later F.I. models. Also from mid '89 they had a deeper splined clutch. some earlier ones could shred the splines apparently - (but i'm no expert on this).

To me Guzzi's are comparable to wine;
some are good years worth keeping - enjoying and savouring / some should be dumped at the end of the production line! :D

just my 2 cents. :nenau

Other than the '03 Stone i had the first two were both between those years you mention and both didn't like grey clouds! Even the later Stone started showing corrosion on the shiny parts.

I actually made the clutch tools for both shallow and deep spline, despite all my bikes having the deep spline.

Corrosion of shiny parts, junk electrics and heavy throttles aside they are without doubt the most characterful and remarkably stable machines I have ever had the pleasure to get a leg over. :thumb

Anyone that needs a dealer shouldn't be thinking of a guzzi. :D

Guzzi dealers are only there to show what the bikes were like new. :rob

The deed is done and a California Vintage should be arriving Monday. It's a low tech, air cooled, 2 valve bike but with fuel injection: a bit of a new/old Motorcycle (with loads of character and heritage) that can cruise at 70mph and handles and stops OK, for what it is. Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom