New BMW G 650 GS Sertão

Selous

Reaction score
From BMW
With its new BMW G 650 GS Sertão, BMW Motorrad has added a new, sporting chapter to the history of single cylinders in the BMW GS family. Whereas the G 650 GS thrilled riders with its lean, wiry off-road stature, the G 650 GS Sertão promises even more sporting characteristics, even greater off-road capabilities, and an even stronger desire for adventure.

The new G 650 GS Sertão uses the established liquid cooled, high-torque single cylinder engine of the G 650 GS with two overhead camshafts, fuel injection, and double ignition. Its 652 cc displacement delivers 48 hp at 6500 rpm and a max torque of 44 ft/lb at 5000 rpm.

BMW Motorrad Deutschland

Geländetauglicheres Fahrwerk, optimierte Tourentauglichkeit und dynamisches Design.
Wurde das Fahrwerk der G 650 GS mit Schwerpunkt auf den Landstraßenbetrieb und leichte Geländeeinsätze entwickelt, so bietet die
Sertão im Hinblick auf die Offroad-Tauglichkeit ein deutliches Plus durch längere Federwege sowie eine straffere Abstimmung. Ergänzend dazu ist sie neben Drahtspeichenrädern ab Werk reichhaltig ausgestattet.

Attachments

• 302645_269972149700083_119317071432259_905023_1152259175_n.jpg
    302645_269972149700083_119317071432259_905023_1152259175_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,627
Sertao.....!

That looks spot on but have they fixed the problem of the front forks breaking and causing the front wheel to fall off. I saw it reported on here some weeks ago.

I've read about that particular bike in America with the broken front fork axle mount but i've not seen any others on the G650GS forums.....!

Hopefully that bike was a one off.:blast

There were some early 2001 F650GS's with a similar problem but that was a different fork leg casting design. If the G series had a similar fork problem there would have been more failures reported by now.........One is one too many though!:eek:

I like the Sertao version of the G650GS and the taller height and longer travel suspension would suit my 6' 4'' height. Excellent fuel economy and good gravel road ability sounds good too especially with the 21/19 spoked wheels.

FP.:thumb

Am I the only one that thinks the G650 is a piece of crap?:hide :nenau

It sounded (and went) like a lawnmower.:blast

No, you're not alone.

I used to ride an F650GS, and changed to an F800GS. I had a G650GS as a loaner bike while mine was serviced (despite asking for an R1200 test bike) and only managed to ride it down the road before taking it back and demanding a different bike. It was foul - worse than my old F650, and had really horrid switchgear. It just doesn't feel acceptably modern - silly flat bars and it does sound like a tractor mower when started.

That looks spot on but have they fixed the problem of the front forks breaking and causing the front wheel to fall off. I saw it reported on here some weeks ago.

Lot of unexplained issues with that report...

Bent axle and bent fork leg just don't fit with the reported circumstances.

some more pics

bmw-bmw-g-650-gs-serto_17.jpg

bmw-bmw-g-650-gs-serto_18.jpg

bmw-bmw-g-650-gs-serto_13.jpg

Personally I think I'll keep my 'old' Dakar, bmw could have made the bike so much better for not much money. About the only thing i like is the new clocks. The biggest let-down is that they are still using the same damper rod 41mm forks that have been on the bike since it first came out.

i ended up fitting a set of 46mm usd forks to my dak, along with a wilbers rear shock. it's a great handling bike now :D

IMG6048-XL.jpg

Does it have the same engine as the x series of bikes or the old 650 engine that was in my 650 Dakar from 2004 ?

According to the spec the engine is the same as the standard G650GS

I notice the fork legs look to have the exact same design as the standard G650GS which presumably means they don't have much concern over strength given that this is more off road oriented.

Front mudguard has gone to make room for the bigger wheel.

Piece of crap and all that......!

Am I the only one that thinks the G650 is a piece of crap?:hide :nenau

I rode one for a bit on the ORS in Wales, and lots of people also commented (including Mr P) about how BMW have dropped the ball on this one.:rob

It sounded (and went) like a lawnmower.:blast

I think a lot of folks are missing the point of these bikes.

It a 'cheap as chips' entry level bike not a £15k LWD 1200GSA or the latest Dakar Rallye bike.

For only £5k you get a bike a bike that's built 'down' to a price but that doesn't mean to say it's 'crap'.

So what if it's a ten year old design with a 'new' Chinese built engine that sounds like a 'lawnmower', it all works adequately. It's not brilliant, fantastic or inspiring but it will get you to work and back, go for a fortnights trip or even around the world without as much fuss as the 'bigger' GS's!

Its a bike anyone can ride whether they're 5' 0'' or 6' 4'' and it's not intimidating to novice riders either.

If I didn't have my GSA30 i'd be more than happy with the wee G'!

I think a lot of folks are missing the point of these bikes.

It a 'cheap as chips' entry level bike not a £15k LWD 1200GSA or the latest Dakar Rallye bike.

For only £5k you get a bike a bike that's built 'down' to a price but that doesn't mean to say it's 'crap'.

So what if it's a ten year old design with a 'new' Chinese built engine that sounds like a 'lawnmower', it all works adequately. It's not brilliant, fantastic or inspiring but it will get you to work and back, go for a fortnights trip or even around the world without as much fuss as the 'bigger' GS's!

Its a bike anyone can ride whether they're 5' 0'' or 6' 4'' and it's not intimidating to novice riders either.

If I didn't have my GSA30 i'd be more than happy with the wee G'!

bang on fella,
5k for a non abs model, 80mpg, cracking all round bike.

Although not the old Dakar - seems BMW might have been listening to their client's for once and brought out a remnant of the much loved Dakkie.

Handguards, Spoked Wheels is what we wanted... and BMW-SA were adamant that there was not going to be an offroad version of the 650 single and all the requests were to be available as optional extra's... at BMW premium prices.

Methinks this will be a winner... especially in Africa!

Get a life guys ... it's better at it's job than a 1200 is :pullface

Well at least you can go places on it :p

Same bike to all intents and purposes as the old F650GS and girlfriend Sue and misen done two 'Long Way Home' trips on the old 650's ... like Siberia and Mongolia, Iran and Pakistan :comfort

:beerjug:

The only thing my G650 (which is the Chinese lawnmower engine) isn't as good as my 1200 at is going down the motorway with a full load of kit. Around town, or on the local lanes, it's really good, and stunningly economical. £8 a fill for 120 miles or thereabouts.

Sold at the right price, this bike could do very well for BMW, especially if the seat height isn't too daft.

:blagblah But have you actually ridden one?:rob:D

Have you ? I have, and I know Chris has. I reckon it is a brilliant bike, really good fun to ride. I have done 300 odd mile days on our G650GS and really enjoyed it, it lives for the smaller A roads and all roads below, yet can still manage on the Motorway if really required.

When you add in the purchase price, the mpg, and the pure grin factor these are brilliant bikes.

Have you ? I have, and I know Chris has. I reckon it is a brilliant bike, really good fun to ride. I have done 300 odd mile days on our G650GS and really enjoyed it, it lives for the smaller A roads and all roads below, yet can still manage on the Motorway if really required.

When you add in the purchase price, the mpg, and the pure grin factor these are brilliant bikes.

Yes, and I didn't like it!:blast Just my opinion; I'm sure it's a great bike for some.:beerjug:

Yes, and I didn't like it!:blast Just my opinion; I'm sure it's a great bike for some.:beerjug:

Keep it coming.......!:D

I'm so loving the words.....Tractor mower, lawn mower and my favourite is 'really horrid switchgear', even Mrs P was impressed.....!:D

Perfect words that really do describe the very exclusive and 'handbuilt in Berlin' HP2 Enduro I owned for three years before my GSA30 and to be honest my GSA30 isn't that much better. At £15k for a full spec one I doubt I could say it's three times better than the 'wee G'

Mrs P's G650GS/FL is just more 'fun' to ride and at a third of the price of a 'real' GS it's going to win everytime for me. Who else other than BMW builds a 650cc bike as capable as the G650GS for £4995 OTR?

Also have a look on www.f650.co.uk and compare the amount of whinging about F/G650's by their owners compared to the amount of whinging on here about 8/1200GS's

I suppose it's all about expectations.......Anyone getting their 'big BM' serviced and being given a G650GS as a loan bike will be a wee bit disappointed but what did they really expect.........It's got a 48bhp single cylinder engine with telescopic front forks and a single disc brake set up and of course 'proper' switchgear(I actually much prefer the traditional three button BMW set up but don't tell Mrs P)

One other thing that really appealls to me on a long trip has got to be fuel economy of the G650GS compared to the bigger bikes. Up to 85mpg is starting to make a lot of sense these days.......!:bow

The F/G650GS series of bikes are also 'the' most reliable bikes ever built by BMW and it's the choice of 'no nonsense' world traveller on www.horizonsunlimited.com. Not many fully loaded R1200GSA's to be seen there except at the 'local' home counties meetings of course.:augie

And how many millions has HM Government lost in revenue with falling petrol sales :rolleyes:

People ARE starting to vote with their feet :thumb

Thumbs up to the G650GS :thumb

But the G650XCountry is a better bike still ;)

I wouldn't mind that new G650GS Sertao as a 'field bike' on the farm though......!:thumb

FP.

That farm field bike would probably take you places though where your Charlie'n Ewan wannabe bike can only dream of ... with money remaining in your pocket :rob

Look good and pose ... or do it ;)

So it's not that good after all then!:blast:D

It's good, infact for the money I think it's an excellent bike for anyone on a 'sensible' budget who wants a bike to do most things......!:cool:

I've met many folk who've ridden to the most fantastic places on all but the most humble F650 with a some alloy cases and engine bars and i'm sure they've had just as much of an adventure as the guy on his 1200 Adventure at the end of the day it's all down to choice.

I'd buy a standard G650GS or Sertao and be happy to ride it all day long and enjoy the wee G' for what it is rather than what it isn't.....!:nenau

Maybe i'm a bit biased though as over the years i've had two Funduro F650's aswell as two F650GS's and i'm sure i'll have another.

As for the 'lawnmower' thing my last 06 F650GS had a Scorpion can fitted and it sounded amazing.......!:bow

You could always go back to the dealer and try a G650GS for the weekend and ride it for what it is, i'm sure you'd probably end up with a huge grin on your face.:D

Looks like it should be expected to be coming out at the end of this year / early next, as on the BMW offroad skills course they are now offering it as a option for next years courses (starting in march) So I guess it shouldnt be long. Looks like it has taken the place on their line up of the F650gs twin. :nenau

Back
Top Bottom