Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Exmoor Explorer 4th-6th May 2012

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Sunny day in Devon today so I decided to ride out and check on the sites of this event.

The campsite:

Looks good even in November so should be excellent in May.

Very easy to find. It is only a few miles from the main A361 link road which runs between Jn27 of M5 and Barnstaple. Nearer the time, I will post up interesting routes to get to it avoiding main roads.

Pub is very close, immediately across the road.

I'll check it out in more detail when I have more time.

At this time of year, the roads are covered in mud and wet leaves so you hardly need any off-roading but there is plenty to be had. Within a few hundred yards, I found one of my favourite signs:

I had TKCs fitted so I thought "why not?"

Amazingly and perhaps foolishly, I attacked this muddy hill and managed to make it all the way up to the top.

Getting up was relatively easy but the return trip downwards was a bit more challenging:

It only took a minute or two to go up but a slow decent as front tyre kept washing out on wet stones.

Found another off-road track much more suitable to heavy GSers as this one was flat.

Just around the corner is the famous Tarr Steps.

Unfortunately, it gets dark so early now that the light was fading by the time I took these pics.

Even I'm not stupid enough to attempt to cross here on my own in half light when the river is swollen and fast running.

Found another excellent play area for getting wet nearby:

This will be a fantastic event next year.

Good stuff Sid. I have started to mark a few trails up on the map to go and check.
    We'll have to have a day out sometime and link a few of them up.

I am in, I could lead a run for pogos also around Somerset area (I live in Taunton area). I could act has a tail end Charlie on a run if you already have enough run leaders, I will be riding a DRZ 400s.

I would strongly recommend people thinking of riding off road down this part of the country to fit a MT43 OR MITAS TYRE of similar tread pattern

Great pics

Can't wait

Getting excited now..........

how many sleeps left

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbyrne View Post
    Getting excited now..........

how many sleeps left
    176 sleeps........
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Great pics Sid.
    Looks very tempting!

eek

im buying a vitara

Thanks for getting some further info/pics on the forum Sid. We're in the bottom half of the camping field, where there's no hard standing between the tents, so we'll all be together. Bikes will have reserved hard standing on a couple of the adjoining pitches and in the carpark where you've pictured your bike. There are some good trails and, as suggested, let's get together for a beer and swap route notes and sort out some good off road.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Quote Originally Posted by Mide View Post
    You two coming then?!
    pub across the road...
    some body has to keep the langers on their best behavior

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by T900 View Post
    pub across the road...

And only - 170 sleeps........
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Quote Originally Posted by T900 View Post
    pub across the road...
    Does that mean you'll take responsibility for both of them??

just handcuff them together and take away their ferry references

Just been looking at an OS book that I bought a while back.
    If anyone wants to go walking rather than riding whilst down here there is a very nice walk starting at Simonsbath which is only a short drive from the site.

A circular 7.5 miles route taking 4 hours and its graded as medium.

The whole length of the River Barle is delightful and no stretch more so than that downstream on Simonsbath - glorious woodland soon giving way to a peaceful, remote, steep-sided and bracken covered valley. The first part of the walk follows the river bank, passing such diverse man-made remains as the ruins of a 19th century copper mine and a prehistoric earthwork; the second part returns high above the valley, giving superb views all the way.

I'll make sure I bring my book and the OS map required for anyone who fancies a days hiking.

That sounds really good and right up my street Jim. Might be worth talking to Les? If he's not going I'd be happy to help with organising the yomp.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast