'Memory Card Full'

from the command line (DOS Box)
(to get to it type CMD from the Run box or look for the icon I attached)
anyway put the card in and type the following cammand
(AND BE CAREFUL YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DRIVE/VOLUME LETTER)

FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system]

translates for you as....

FORMAT I: /FS:FAT32

or /FS:exFAT

hope this helps

Attachments

• CMD.jpg
    CMD.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 362
Right click the icon for the SD card, select format. One of the options is the type of format, XP normally only gives the option of FAT32 for card above a certain size.

Or do it by command prompt as said already.

From Microsoft:
re: missing space on XP drives.
In the pre-XP days this was known as getting the File Allocation Table screwed up.

NTFS File System Corruption
In very rare circumstances, the NTFS $MFT or $BITMAP metafiles may become corrupted and result in lost disk space. To identify and fix this issue, run the chkdsk /F command against the volume in question. Toward the end of chkdsk process, you receive the following message if the $BITMAP metafile needs to be adjusted:
"Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. "

From Microsoft:
In the pre-XP days this was known as getting the File Allocation Table screwed up.

In very rare circumstances, the NTFS $MFT or $BITMAP metafiles may become corrupted and result in lost disk space. To identify and fix this issue, run the chkdsk /F command against the volume in question. Toward the end of chkdsk process, you receive the following message if the $BITMAP metafile needs to be adjusted:
"Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. "

Say that again in English Gaz :confused:

from the command line (DOS Box)
(to get to it type CMD from the Run box or look for the icon I attached)
anyway put the card in and type the following cammand
(AND BE CAREFUL YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DRIVE/VOLUME LETTER)

FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system]

translates for you as....

FORMAT I: /FS:FAT32

or /FS:exFAT

hope this helps

It says the volume is too small for FAT32, it recognised it as a 14MB card :confused:

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a new card :nenau

;)

Andres

I would, 'cos now there's doubt in its integrity.

What if it goes tits up when it's full of your photos..?

I have bought a new card, I had to whilst I was in Borneo :blast

It just seemed to me I had probably clicked on something stupid and hidden part of the drive. It does appear that it's now a bit buggered but 16GB cards of decent quality are still around £20 and it seemed worth a bit of buggeration to save that much :nenau

From Microsoft:

Read up on this and tried chkdsk I:/f & r

Volume is 14,480,000 bytes :(

I think we can all now assume it's buggered? :blast

Say that again in English Gaz :confused:

OK, crudely speaking, basically, there is a file on each drive that tells the operating system where everything else is on the drive and what size it is.

If this gets corrupted then the OS starts to think drives are full, or it loses files etc.
To check if it is knackered, you need to run the command CHKDSK on the drive in question.

e.g. for drive D enter

chkdsk d: /f

into a command window (start menu, select run, type cmd and hit OK, will give you a black window with a prompt at which you type the chkdsk command)

if this freaks you out I'll come over and fix it, let me know.

if this freaks you out I'll come over and fix it, let me know.

I found a help site that explained it all. Thanks for the offer Gaz but it's only an SD card. Just thought there might be a simple fix for something I'd stupidly altered :D

Read up on this and tried chkdsk I:/f & r

Volume is 14,480,000 bytes :(

I think we can all now assume it's buggered? :blast

erm, yeah I guess so, if chkdsk thinks it's OK then prob best to buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom