2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

A southerner doing the northern route!

I have been thinking how to do my bit for those fighting our cause. So I have registered and being a southerner I thought I would ride 200 miles to the start so I can travel on new roads! :blastThis seems a better and more enjoyable way of raising money rather than my failed London Marathon entry.

I have done some training - 710 miles in 11 hours in the summer - Reading to 50 miles north of Marseille. I am glad I had the 1200gs and not the 800gs. Different tools for different trades. I suspect A roads to be ore of a challenge.:bounce1

The Royal British Legion riders branch are doing a 1000 miles in twentyfour hours which is recognised by the iron butt association on 22-24 June 2012 closest to the longest day of the year for maximum daylight for the poppy appeal.
You dont have to be a member to join in starts and finishes at squires cafe Sherburn-in-elmet http://squires-cafe.co.uk have a look if you are interested have a look.

Sorry I misunderstood you. As I read anyone can participate in the RBLR rally and support the cause. However if you wanted to apply for a SS1000 from the Iron Butt Association then the RBLR needs to be done in 24 hours. At the end of the day it's about having fun and supporting a good cause. It's whatever floats your boat Les but I think you could do it. From what I have read completing an Iron Butt is more about planning, technique and not sprinting from the start. Good to have you on board regardless! :beerjug:

You are indeed correct, the RBLR is about raising funds for the RBL (the format next year is slightly different to years past.), and having fun whilst doing it as well as seeing some great roads(depending on route choice).

To do any Iron Butt ride is about managing your time both ride time and rest time (the route plan is already done for you Here
There is plenty of advice on IBA rides here

I have registered and currently favouring the northern route in a clockwise [sun behind the back and best for the Fort William Glencoe section in day light - according the RBL forum!] direction.

Fort William in the dark isnt the best, Clockwise north is quite a nice picturesque run.

The 1000 miles isn't as hard as you'd think. I did mine on a F800 GS, and it was easy. I seem to think one lad did it on a C90 last year!

Its not a race either, I had plenty of stops, for fuel and food, and managed it in well under 20 hours.

I'm lucky that I live less than 10 miles from Squires, but they do have the campsite (which I think was free) but a few riders stayed in nearby hotels for the Friday night (and I presume the Saturday night too, when they got back)

Strategy

On my long journey last year I developed a fairly simple approach of stopping every 1.5 hours for fuel for the bike and me. This rested me before I got too tired. I did not travel in the dark. I also road in tandem when possible following another bike at a safe distance provided something to focus on. I think the biggest danger is probably drifting off.

A 0530 start should allow the vast bulk of the mileage in daylight or thats the theory:augie

RBLR 1000

I did the RBLR 1000 in 2010, southern route anti-clockwise stopping off at home for a few hours during the afternoon which was the worse thing I could have done as my actual riding time was about 17h30m the home stop just extended my waking hours which led to a precarious last leg to Leeds. I would have been better riding on to have an 18hr ish ride rather than the 23hrs from start to finish. The first checkpoint for the south anti clockwise and north clockwise route was a service station on the M6* where the petrol pumps where overwhelmed by bikes topping up and getting a reciept - much better to have topped up elsewhere and then just pop on for a Mars Bar (other snacks are available). Would I do it again - most probably but Northern route clockwise and book into a nearby hotel on Friday and Saturday night.

Okay we are getting some order to this now. We have a place on the forum and we'll start keeping track of whose coming.

G.S. John and I are partaking in a training event at the Ace Cafe on calorie consumption this Sunday Nov 6th to talk about the event at 10am. All welcome. PM me if your coming and we'll look out for you.

Leeds & back is 700 miles for me ....so no thanks.

If they had set it up so you could start & finish at your local Legion and pass through some central point (Like Leeds), I reckon I would be up for it.

I did raise point on the rblr site and suggest a start point at Ft William and one at dover but still passing through leeds this was rejected for admin problems i.e getting volunteers to man each site.
Also it was said finishing at one site added to the sense of achievement and being part of a team.

Signed up for next year :thumb2:thumb2

Unsure of which route to take mind, last year was anti-clockwise North, but might do Clockwise South for a change........

Signed up for next year :thumb2:thumb2

Unsure of which route to take mind, last year was anti-clockwise North, but might do Clockwise South for a change........

Good stuff. :thumb

I'm planning on doing the Northern route since I don't get up there much. Haven't decided which direction yet.

Hi

I might try and make this - subject to the good lady's agreement. I will PM you once I know.

John

Okay we are getting some order to this now. We have a place on the forum and we'll start keeping track of whose coming.

G.S. John and I are partaking in a training event at the Ace Cafe on calorie consumption this Sunday Nov 6th to talk about the event at 10am. All welcome. PM me if your coming and we'll look out for you.

This will be my strategy:thumb Some comfort at both ends of the journey.

...Would I do it again - most probably but Northern route clockwise and book into a nearby hotel on Friday and Saturday night....

Just registered, probably do one of the southern routes as am touring Scotland earlier in the month.

B

Bump - reminder looks like GS John, Les049 and Darkhorse meeting up tomorrow to discuss this and other issues of state.

Bump - reminder looks like GS John, Les049 and Darkhorse meeting up tomorrow to discuss this and other issues of state.

Issues of state are you sure? BTW its two stroke day tomoz at the ace stinkwheels heaven
typed on me laptop with me delicate little pinkies

I'm still waiting for the certification of my SS1000 that I did 19/06/2011. No contact from Iron Butt UK but I've paid the money for badges and certificate. Sorry but I think it's pants. Poppy appeal or not I'm not wasting my money again. It s quite a day when you ride 1000mls in 24hrs on a 1200GSA. Prepare to have your carpal tunnel done in.

they have had a sort out check this out www.ironbutt.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom