2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

NLC

Reaction score
I've always fancied doing an Iron Butt since I met up with a few nutters crossing the Canadian outback a few years back. For those not familiar with Iron Butt you must complete a minimum of 1000 miles in 24 hours that needs to be documented. The Royal British Legion started doing a sponsored ride in aid of the Poppy Appeal in 2008 in order to break a world record of the largest amount of riders to ride 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. Sadly the Yanks beat them to the post but the ride has generated £33,000 for the Poppy Appeal. Perhaps we can set a world record for number of larger than life (emphasis on physical characteristics i.e. fat people) riding BMWs? :D Good time to be thinking about this now given October is the launch of the annual Poppy Appeal.

The 2012 ride takes place on June 22-24. The starting point is the Squires Cafe near Leeds. In order to be certified as an Iron Butt rider the rules are quite technical but the benefit of completing the ride in this event is that the organisers help with the certification process with marshalling. Last year 286 riders started with 16 DNFs. Click here for more information on the RBLR1000. Entry to event is £21 and £50 in sponsorship.

As you will note in the event literature this is not a speed event - slow and steady prevails. What a great way to justify buying more gear for your bike especially now that you have a reason to tell SWMBO and your mates why you need that titanium spanner or other "item".

If your crazy enough and want to join others on what should be a fun weekend for a good cause put your name up and register with the RBLR. More details to follow.

Are you tough enough? :eek:

Iron butt 1000

The Royal British Legion riders branch are doing a 1000 miles in twentyfour hours which is recognised by the iron butt association on 22-24 June 2012 closest to the longest day of the year for maximum daylight for the poppy appeal.
You dont have to be a member to join in starts and finishes at squires cafe Sherburn-in-elmet http://squires-cafe.co.uk have a look if you are interested have a look.

I've always fancied doing an Iron Butt since I met up with a few nutters crossing the Canadian outback a few years back. For those not familiar with Iron Butt you must complete a minimum of 1000 miles in 24 hours that needs to be documented. The Royal British Legion started doing a sponsored ride in aid of the Poppy Appeal in 2008 in order to break a world record of the largest amount of riders to ride 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. Sadly the Yanks beat them to the post but the ride has generated £33,000 for the Poppy Appeal. Perhaps we can set a world record for number of larger than life (emphasis on physical characteristics i.e. fat people) riding BMWs? :D Good time to be thinking about this now given October is the launch of the annual Poppy Appeal.

The 2012 ride takes place on June 22-24. The starting point is the Squires Cafe near Leeds. In order to be certified as an Iron Butt rider the rules are quite technical but the benefit of completing the ride in this event is that the organisers help with the certification process with marshalling. Last year 286 riders started with 16 DNFs. Click here for more information on the RBLR1000. Entry to event is £21 and £50 in sponsorship.

Looking at next year calendar there does not seem to an event scheduled for this date. What a great way to do something completely crazy in support of a good cause. As you will note in the event literature this is not a speed event - slow and steady prevails. What a great way to justify buying more gear for your bike especially now that you have a reason to tell SWMBO and your mates why you need that titanium spanner or other "item".

If there sufficient interest we can schedule an event in the UKGSER calendar to show our support for the Legion. Given the reliability of BMWs it would be good to have a few bods who now how to sort out problems along the way :blast.

If your interested in potentially participating can you please put a post up. If we get interest we can put something in the calendar and put some organisation in place and co-ordinate with the event sponsors. Heck even SWMBO thought it was a great idea and she never smiles when the work motorcycle is mentioned.

We will certainly get some stickers made.

Are you tough enough? :eek:

Weekend bump.

I quite fancy doing one of these....gives me a personal challenge, plus raise a few quid...:thumb2

allready paid up front gonna do it next year:eek:
oohhhh my aching arse

Been Looking at this

Have had a good look at this one, as initially i thought feckin hell 1K in 24 hrs but thats to qualify for the Iron Butt Certificate i believe !
But the RBL1K allows you to do the distance in 36hrs.
Taking that the start time is 0530 hrs on the Saturday and you need to finish by 1730 hrs on Sunday to qualify for the RBL1K.
The idea of having to finish at 0530 hrs Sunday morning to qualify for the Iron Butt seems a real challenge (which is the very nature of this event doh !) but as much as i'd like to be all "Billy Big Bollox" about it I simply dont know if i could do that, the furthiest i have rode is 400 miles in about 6 hrs with stops.
So what Iam proposing to do is register, ride the 250miles up to the start at Squires the day before and then start the clockwise southern route at 0530(ish). The route to Dover is apx 300miles then across to Redruth another 300miles and then back up the Southwest to finish off (mileages apx).
IF i get into the early evening on the Saturday and my body hasnt given up on me I will push on to try and get the IB cert BUT if not then it'll be a hotmeal and a kip in a bivvy bag somewhere and I'll finish it later on that Sunday.
Then have a beer and a kip before setting off back darn sarf which'll make my round route 1500 miles. But the main thing is hopefully I'll have raised some cash for "charitee" which is after all the whole intention of the event.

Might have a go at this on my ST1100 if I can stretch to 25 gallons of petrol and 10 tins of redbull :D

Certainly interested if I'm not away at the time.

I could well be interested. I'm on hols earlier in June and not quite sure what we'll be doing, but if possible I might give this a go.

EDIT: although having to start and finish in Yorkshire isn't ideal - there and back from home is 600 miles in itself!

I have been asking questions on the rblr site a group ride is not a good idea as at fuel stops ect you waste a lot of time waiting for each other to have a snack refuel have a ciggie those that indulge.
The best option according to those in the know is to ride as individuals or in pairs if you have a similar riding style or join up with other riders on route for a short time and keep a steady pace.
Apparently you need an average of 41 mph to do the one thousand miles well within the twentyfour hours it is not a race under seventeen hours will get you disqualified for speeding get on the website and do some reading and ask questions there is a wealth of information.
This is now getting to be an itch i need to scratch :blast

Have had a good look at this one, as initially i thought feckin hell 1K in 24 hrs but thats to qualify for the Iron Butt Certificate i believe !
But the RBL1K allows you to do the distance in 36hrs.
Taking that the start time is 0530 hrs on the Saturday and you need to finish by 1730 hrs on Sunday to qualify for the RBL1K.
The idea of having to finish at 0530 hrs Sunday morning to qualify for the Iron Butt seems a real challenge (which is the very nature of this event doh !) but as much as i'd like to be all "Billy Big Bollox" about it I simply dont know if i could do that, the furthiest i have rode is 400 miles in about 6 hrs with stops.
So what Iam proposing to do is register, ride the 250miles up to the start at Squires the day before and then start the clockwise southern route at 0530(ish). The route to Dover is apx 300miles then across to Redruth another 300miles and then back up the Southwest to finish off (mileages apx).
IF i get into the early evening on the Saturday and my body hasnt given up on me I will push on to try and get the IB cert BUT if not then it'll be a hotmeal and a kip in a bivvy bag somewhere and I'll finish it later on that Sunday.
Then have a beer and a kip before setting off back darn sarf which'll make my round route 1500 miles. But the main thing is hopefully I'll have raised some cash for "charitee" which is after all the whole intention of the event.

Hey Les

It's definitely 1,000 miles in 24 hours and a link to the rules for the event are here. I think the 36 hours is to allow the riders to get spaced out but you must finish within 24 hours of your start time.

Yes it does sounds crazy to do 1,000 miles in 24 hours! But if you look at it from this way the majority of riders who complete an Iron Butt 1,000 will cover their 1,000 miles in about 22 hours (including all stops). The rides do NOT require you to speed. For every hour you are on a major highway riding, you get approximately 20 minutes "off" rest time.

As you point out it would be great to raise some money for the charity which is the main purpose. However to also have a personal challenge makes a great story when your raising money. Most I have done in a day is 400 miles or perhaps less but bear in mind most of my riding is on twists or on B road equivalents. Most of the riding for this event will be on motorways.

I think we have enough interest to do an proper Tosser event next year and I'll speak to Paul about getting something up on the board.

This will be good training for this next year! :D

I have been asking questions on the rblr site a group ride is not a good idea as at fuel stops ect you waste a lot of time waiting for each other to have a snack refuel have a ciggie those that indulge.
The best option according to those in the know is to ride as individuals or in pairs if you have a similar riding style or join up with other riders on route for a short time and keep a steady pace.
Apparently you need an average of 41 mph to do the one thousand miles well within the twentyfour hours it is not a race under seventeen hours will get you disqualified for speeding get on the website and do some reading and ask questions there is a wealth of information.
This is now getting to be an itch i need to scratch :blast

Great minds think alike.

It would be good to do this a group event to meet along way and perhaps before the start. But on the day yes better to do pairs or threes at most. At least if you break down you'll know that a larger the life tosser won't be to far behind!

SS1000 v RBLR1000

Here's a lift from Step 2 on that very document:

Your ride needs to be completely documented (steps outlined below) and cover a minimum distance of 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less if you wish to apply for IBA Saddlesore 1000 (SS 1000) certification. You do not need to do the ride in 24 hours if you only wish to do the RBLR 1000. Whilst there is no stipulated cut-off time for the RBLR 1000 we would appreciate it if you checked back in, at least by telephone, before 1700 hours on Sunday 19 June.

Just covering my arse in case i turn out to be a knacker ! Either way I think Iam up for it !!

I did it this year, setting off on my own, with the intention of staying like that, but there was always other riders at fuel stops, food breaks etc. At 2am coming on the M62, there was 2 of us who had been playing cat and mouse since Glasgow, and we just rode into Squires together ...... :thumb:thumb:thumb

Brilliant...... Roll on 2012:beerjug:

Sorry I misunderstood you. As I read anyone can participate in the RBLR rally and support the cause. However if you wanted to apply for a SS1000 from the Iron Butt Association then the RBLR needs to be done in 24 hours. At the end of the day it's about having fun and supporting a good cause. It's whatever floats your boat Les but I think you could do it. From what I have read completing an Iron Butt is more about planning, technique and not sprinting from the start. Good to have you on board regardless! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom