Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders 8 - Late call and it may be chilly - 12-13 November

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Wapping's Wanders 8 - Late call and it may be chilly - 12-13 November

Before the sun sinks and stays completely behind the western horizon I though we might have one last jaunt for 2011, down to Peronne.

Plan would be to catch a Chunnel train at about 09:00, arriving in France and getting on the road by say 10:40 local time. We will then have two stops between the coast and Peronne, one for coffee and another for lunch, arriving in Peronne sometime in the late afternoon, I guess.

I will try to find us a hotel and book us a table at a restaurant for supper. Where we ate in Peronne on the last Wander wasn't too bad and a decent price, too.

Sunday, we can have a half decent earlyish breakfast, then take in the WW1 museum in the morning*, maybe grabbing a snack. Then hightail it out around noon back to the coast, stopping somewhere en-route about halfway for a coffee and / or another snack. At the Channel coast we can then either pick up the motorway (from roughly just north of Boulogne) for a 20 minute run up to the Chunnel or drop in to the cafe at Cap Gris Nez for a coffee or whatever.

The weather? Well it will be whatever it will be. Last weekend we went from about six degrees, up to about 12 degrees, then down to three point five degrees in the space of a morning and afternoon. The Sunday was positively tropical at about 17 degrees in the sunshine. The route down and back can lend itself to hitting the motorway if it's loshing down. Either way, I think we can bet that it may well not be that warm.

DATE: 12-13 November if I can get my act together. That is the Armistice weekend, so I may struggle with hotel rooms in a town that has big WW1 links.... We shall see.

NUMBERS: Will all depend on the hotel booking and the need to make a decent amount of progress in the (limited) amount of light we will have. Say six bikes, maximum eight. Pillions welcome.

NAVIGATION: I will do a Garmin GPS route for everyone and we will use the marker 'drop-off' system.

SUITABLE FOR: Anyone who can ride a motorbike. I really do do my best to avoid cart tracks, though we did hit one on Sunday for about 800 yards. In short, nothing I would not ride on my HP2 Sport; trust me.

BOOKINGS: I will book the hotel (I hope) and the restaurant. Train bookings bods can make themselves, please.

ANYTHING ELSE? I guess not. A half decent sense of humour helps.... and I haven't been let down yet

* I hear it's good. http://www.somme-battlefields.com/ba..._grande_guerre http://en.historial.org/

I see that the museum opens at 10 AM, which is fine.

I also see that it does some guided tours (for a few euro) I will see if I can get us a place on one if anyone is interested.

=======

I have been on the case with a hotel, too. Lacking any idea what we might want, I have reserved:

One double room (Two adults)

One twin room (Two adults)

Three single rooms (Three adults)

Bed and breakfast.

Hotel: Le Saint Claude. From vague memory, this used to be the Best Western but has gone 'private'. http://hotelsaintclaude.com/ Should be OK for a night, I guess.

I have promised the hotel that I will reconfirm the booking at the end of this week. So chirp up if you plan on coming, please.

Hello Richard,
    Sounds very good, for that reason myself and Pauline, fresh from our US trip would like to come along.

Thanks
    David
    David is...
    Going Down on a Signal 15 !

Splendid. The wanderers return Looking forward to hearing about the US of A.

The double room has gone to dxtans.

I will check on the train times ASAP.

Cheers,

Eichard

Just a thought.

If anyone is looking at this thinking, 'Booger, I was going to take the double room and now it's full of the dxtans people'.

Ping up your interest and what you would like. I'll do my best to sort it out with the hotel.

Member Supported Charities Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Wished we lived closer at times, would love to go on one of your wee wanders

I'm spoilt, living within an hour or so of the train.... and (to a degree) selfish as I don't have to ask permission of anyone to go.

There again, it's 30 minutes to get out of London's streets, so difficult to pop-out for a brief blat......so I don't bother. Similarly, if I meet up with chums for a day out, it's never less than an eighty mile round trip just to get to and from the start / end points... that is eight litres of fuel I burn up, let alone the boredom of the A10 or the A13 / M25 / M11 / A12.

Member Supported Charities Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    I'm spoilt, living within an hour or so of the train.... and (to a degree) selfish as I don't have to ask permission of anyone to go.

There again, it's 30 minutes to get out of London's streets, so difficult to pop-out for a brief blat......so I don't bother. Similarly, if I meet up with chums for a day out, it's never less than an eighty mile round trip just to get to and from the start / end points... that is eight litres of fuel I burn up, let alone the boredom of the A10 or the A13 / M25 / M11 / A12.
    Costs us stupid money to get off the island to go to France

Plus and minus I suppose. You do right to make the make of it

Splendid. The wanderers return Looking forward to hearing about the US of A.

The double room has gone to dxtans.

I will check on the train times ASAP.

Cheers,

Eichard
    We will be sure to bring some photo's so we can bore you to death over some beers.
    David is...
    Going Down on a Signal 15 !

Richard

I could be up for this.

Speak Thursday

Hi Richard,
    Put me down for a single room.Keep fingers crossed for decent weather.
    Just making a note to take a spare headlight bulb and fitting instructions just in case!!!!!!!!!!
    Kev

I see that the museum opens at 10 AM, which is fine.

I also see that it does some guided tours (for a few euro) I will see if I can get us a place on one if anyone is interested............
    And if the tourist information office opposite the museum is open then may be worth popping in to see if they still have the museum discount vouchers.
    Something like 2 euros off the admission price if memory serves me correctly.
    Well it's a free beer each.

Thanks for the tip about the museum discount, Hustler.

I know where the Tourist Office is, so I will drop in for sure.

Kev B and darkhorse, noted.

Kev, we will be taking near enough the route we came back on last weekend.

TRAIN TIMES

I have booked my tickets

TRAIN OUT - Saturday 12 November - Departure time 08:50

TRAIN BACK - Sunday 13 November - Departure time 18:20

£34 return

I am also advertising this jaunt on another site.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast