Wapping's Wanders 8 - Late call and it may be chilly - 12-13 November

Here are the suggested routes down to Peronne and back along with some notes.

(1) Please can everyone leave the UK with a full tank, please. This includes you, Tom.

We usually pull in to the first service station on the left when leaving the train, just to gather everyone together. This time we are NOT going to. The reason is simple. If we avoid the fuel station we can get straight onto a short (I think it's just one junction only, no. 41) bit of motorway out towards Sangatte on the D243. Pulling into the station results in missing the motorway entrance and an annoying left, right, left around a series of roundabouts along with a tricky entrance on to the motorway which is difficult and dangerous to mark.

(2) Just to make sure we have everyone together on leaving the train, we can gather the eight bikes together ON THE LENGTHY SLIP ROAD that leads to the fuel station. Take a bit of care as it's a busy road and easy to step off into the path of truck or car. A quick headcount and away we go.

(3) The first coffee stop is at Wierre Effroy, which is only about 30 to 40 minutes away.

(4) If anyone misses the train, send me a text please (I will PM everyone my mobile no.) and meet us at Wierre Effroy. You can get there quickly by taking the motorway a little bit further, jumping off at Marquise, then picking up the route again to Wierre Effroy.

(5) After the coffee stop it's down Hesdin for lunch and then through to our hotel in Peronne. If anyone is running so late that they miss Wierre Effroy, get your carcass to Hesdin or the hotel. Let's stay in touch via text or phone.

(6) I have a table booked at 20:00 in a not too bad but decently priced bistro just around the corner.

(7) Sunday. I suggest a half decent breakfast in the hotel. The museum opens at 10:00. Ideally we want to be on the road back to Calais not long after midday. Last weekend we left Peronne later but we will have lost an hour's light and the days are getting no longer. The museum will have a cafe (I assume) so maybe grab a sandwich to chew on before riding off?

(8) From Peronne we will go via Hesdin again, where we can stop for a coffee or whatever.

(9) From Hesdin we can carry on again roughly north. We have a choice.

(a) Pick up the A16 motorway to Calais from roughly Boulogne, for about 20 minutes. There is a fuel station between junctions 34 and 35 where we can pull in if necessary.

or

(b) Go up along the D roads towards Cap Gris Nez, then along the coast road and back.

I have put both alternatives into the routes. I suggest we see how the day pans out.

============

What else:

With eight bikes we will definitely use the marker 'drop off' system. Many of you know it. If you don't, no worries we will run thro' it. I would like a backmarker volunteer or two, please. Similarly, if anyone wants to lead I am more than happy; it's a jaunt for all of us.

Passport, train booking, bike papers (V5 and insurance cover note). A map (sometimes a good idea). Travel / breakdown insurance; we have had two breakdowns on Wanders this year and one puncture.

A spot of cash. A mobile set up for overseas roaming and a credit card.... along with a sense of humour.

If we can fill up on arriving at Peronne on Saturday evening it would be good. The fuel station I used to use is now closed. I think the Intermarche station is still there and that it's 24 hours. We shall see..... If not, maybe we can stop somewhere before Peronne? Any big 1200GSA starting from Calais could make it all the way round..... If I go on my 800 it won't.

Tom, I think your Khartoum will have the smallest range. It might be a good idea to splash some in Hesdin on the way down and maybe back, too? Let's see on the day :thumb2

I think that's the lot. Any problems or questions. Ping 'em up here or PM me.

Richard

Attachments

• November 2011 - Peronne ride - UKGSer.zip
    93.8 KB · Views: 147
Don't worry about fuel range .. as long as I know where I need to get to .. I will be there.

I now fuel up at the Shell petrol place one junction before the tunnel. I get air miles :D

.......... The museum will have a cafe (I assume) so maybe grab a sandwich to chew on before riding off? .............

I'm not on this trip but did visit this museum quite recently and can confirm the museum does have a cafe.
It served perfectly fine snack type things and I've just checked with Mrs. H. and it seems we had a croque monsieur.

The bistro has confirmed our increased booking for 10 bods in total.

:JB

Manage to get myself out of a trip to the US for work otherwise would have had to travel on the Sunday :JB

:JB

Manage to get myself out of a trip to the US for work otherwise would have had to travel on the Sunday :JB

Joy unbounded :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vehbRc2tJd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weather is now looking good: Sat - white clouds, Sun - Sunny intervals, with temp at or around 16c.

But then again if you search long enough on the web, you will find a weather forcast that tells you what you want to hear !

Nice bummping into you last Sunday Tom, Pauline say's hello.

dxtans

Back
Top Bottom