***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site

View Poll Results: Have you

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Removed your Cat Code Plug

31 11.48%
  • Left the plug in place

63 23.33%
  • Never had one

63 23.33%
  • What is a cat code plug

113 41.85%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cat code plug (AKA STEPTOE's LINK)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Are we talking about removing this plug from bikes with Y pieces and road legal Remus cans or 'race' cans or both? Mines relatively recently had a Y piece and road legal can and yes it pinks under load. From what I've read here it sounds like I should be taking the plug out (It's still in) and possibly trying out Steptoe's mod. It'll give me something to do tonight anyway.

I have just fitted a Remus Y and Revolution road legal can to my 2003 1150 twin spark.

There was no CCP in the bike.

Bike felt lean at low revs; I've fitted Steptoe's link (a paperclip - I was in France) and the lean-ness has gone, but so has the top-end. Got 55mpg though.

Now I'm worried AND confused - stories about holed pistons get my attention every time.

Downpipes are a lovely blue - more worry.

So, I ask --

1. Where in all this can I get a definitive guide on do's and don'ts - (I've tried searching the forums)?
    2. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced dyno service near Northampton?
    3. Would fitting the standard can (keeping the Y) help?

The bike is transformed by the Y and can - although it's vibe-y at exactly 80mph but smooth at 90 (officer).

Any help appreciated

Andysdad

O.K!
    Done it.

As I removed the silencer and left just the cat with a short pipe to stop swmbo's feet melting. I was a bit worried at running lean due to the total lack of back pressure, as the cat doesnt seem to restrictive on its own.

So I have binned my yellow CCP (as I understand it is to make the bike fly through EEC emission regs by making the bike run lean)* and done the ... Steptoe performance mod(patent pending) .

Result?.............It goes like stink! The engine spins up much cleaner. Checked the plugs and it isn't running lean now.

Well impressed!

* I Stand to be corrected,

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Originally posted by andysdad

2. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced dyno service near Northampton?
    Any help appreciated

Andysdad
    dunno about the price

Ooh me Chalfonts Click here to find out how to Subscribe

TTS

I think I paid £30 for a dyno session to setup my techlusion box.

Keefffff

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow does not look good either..

To Cookie and Keith - many thanks for the info.

A

Come on then, one of you boffins give us knowledge. Do I simply pull out the relay thing (Cat Code Plug CCP) and fit the shorting link. My 02 Single Plug (each side!) has a y-piece and remus revolution (baffle out). Will this cure the fact that it sometimes cuts out after a long blast when slowing down, and stop the engine popping and spitting? Will it cause problems with the engine running to lean or rich?
    I am keen to try it, but dont want to bugger anything up!

Le singe
    The different coding plugs merely access a number of fuelling maps in the Motronic memory.
    As all engines are assembled from parts having been made to a tolerance,there will be engines that are built closer to the optimum and hence perform better than others,therefore some engines will be on the limit of any manufacturer selected fuelling map,(biased towards richness or leanness).
    For some bikes,the 'Steptoe link' will move the fuelling further towards that which the engine requires,for others it won't,plus the variables of modifications made complicate matters further.
    The only way to optimise settings properly is to try every link on the dyno,quantifying air/fuel ratios throughout.
    You may be fortunate and find a standard map which works acceptably throughout the range,after your pipe/silencer etc mods,or if not,you may have to use a Techlusion or similar for fine tuning.
    The reason there is not one answer for all the 1150's or 1100's is because of the variables of production tolerances and modifications.
    The modified link may work better for MOST bikes,but certainly not for ALL bikes.

Sounds logical, I guess the safe bet is to spend some time on a dyno armed with a shorting link then.

So, looking at the picture that Steptoe supplied, can I be assured that the link is between pins 5 and 6?

I.E. there are 9 pins, 1-2, 4-6, 7-9 arranged in 3s.

woll69

code plug removal...

Well I'll be buggered...I've been on this site for two days,found this thread and totally transformed my bike!...always thought it was my bad throttle control!!
    Nice one mate..(I managed it with an inch of wire!)

Audi Cock Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Re: cat code plug

Originally posted by Keith Chapman
    For those that have fitted Y pieces have you

Last night I applied Steptoes 'fix'

Just to make sure, I used blue terminals and yellow wire.

Although I have been told that using red wire and blue terminals will squeeze another 3hp out of it

Deleted account W
    Originally posted by Droopy Dick

This is confusing

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    So, looking at the picture that Steptoe supplied, can I be assured that the link is between pins 5 and 6?

Droopy...that assumes you have Steptoe's pic the right way up, and more importantly, the base for the relay was in the same rotational position as in his pic.

Don't assume either...go for the pin numbers instead....as listed in the threads already.
    सत्यमेव जयते

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe

for fecks sake - you can see the fuses in the picture.

why are you having trouble ??????????
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast