The new Triumph 1200

It has more power than the GS but it is 30kg heavier than the standard GS even before panniers, crash bars etc are added - the excess weight means the power/weight ratio is only 4.1% up on the GS. That weight is a heavy :D price to pay for very little extra performance.

Power to weight ratio of the Triumph is 0.52 bhp per kilogram, standard GS is 0.48. This is based on the wet weights of 259 for the Triumph and 229 for the GS.

I saw it at the NEC yesterday. I dunno just didn't do it for me and it look like it was not finished. I thought the panniers weren't attached but apparently they rock back and forth to adjust for weight when moving at speed. Just what an owner needs to be stopped eighteen times and say "Sir your panniers aren't attached".

I saw it at the NEC yesterday. I dunno just didn't do it for me and it look like it was not finished. I thought the panniers weren't attached but apparently they rock back and forth to adjust for weight when moving at speed. Just what an owner needs to be stopped eighteen times and say "Sir your panniers aren't attached".

Thats the same idea as they use on the sprint GT as well. Don't think the effect would actually be any more noticable from behind than normal panniers wobbling when loaded. Probably need to make sure the load is equal etc or they'd sit permanently off centre. There is only a limited amount of play though.

IMHO, I reckon this is one of the nicer alternatives to the GS (so much better than that Honda Disaster). I may even go and try one, not that I'd be in the market for one for a few years though. Need to see it properly though.

Had a 700 Honda Transalp. The top box moved all over the place on it’s base. I removed everything.....spacers/washers/nip nip nip....jobs a good un. Then I found out that it was SUPPOSED to move all over the place... :blast

I'm not sure that I was designed for this world.....:D

Thats the same idea as they use on the sprint GT as well. Don't think the effect would actually be any more noticable from behind than normal panniers wobbling when loaded. Probably need to make sure the load is equal etc or they'd sit permanently off centre. There is only a limited amount of play though.

IMHO, I reckon this is one of the nicer alternatives to the GS (so much better than that Honda Disaster). I may even go and try one, not that I'd be in the market for one for a few years though. Need to see it properly though.

Off to Woburn then !!!:D

Isn't mpg more important than fuel tank capacity?

Yes, if it get's 200 miles per tank, I guess that's reasonable. I was looking at the Stelvio and my head was turned by this bike but I wonder if it will be out by the spring and if there will be a harder, longer distance version

I'm sure there will be ........ my money is on the big tanked bike that was first pictured in MCN a few years back being the 'adventure' model

I guess that's the issue, the guzzi has matured. I wonder if it will be better to wait before buying the trumpet

Had my local Triumph dealer on full sales pitch today.

No Adventurer yet but will come with wire wheels and big tank, probably next year.
Price announced on 17th November.
I have booked a test ride for after the show just to see
£250 deposits guarentees me one of the first ones in March 2012

He got a bit freaked out when I said I've done 69,000 miles on the GSA and would expect the Trumpet to do the same with no issues. I also said it's first trip would be to Alaska next summer so what was the Triumph back up and dealer network be like over there? He's getting back to me:augie

Anyway, he assures me it's a GS beater but they all say that don't they:blagblah:blagblah

Hahaha. This is a funny post. :thumb2

Just had an e-mail from Triumph and the price is...............(drum roll and contrived tension).................. £11,149.00 on the road.

This is for the standard spec with, ABS, cruise control, traction control and the durable shaft drive unit to the blurb.:rolleyes:

Test ride coming up in the next few weeks:thumb

Let's hope this new triumph proves more durable than their other models.

Had three mates who have had triumphs - the bikes just seem to develop faults / gremlins later in their lives resulting in the guys getting rid of them......

Good Prize....

To celebrate the reveal of the new Tiger Explorer, Triumph has launched an exclusive competition, Seeking Explorers, that will see lucky winners from around the world embark on a 12-day trip of a lifetime before the bike even goes on sale. Trip is on March 9th.

The deadline for entries is 27 January 2012, and the competition winners will be drawn on 31 January, 2012.

http://www.triumphadventure.com/en/win-an-adventure/

Opportunity Knocks

Craig thanks for the compitetion thread, wow i wish i was thinner/fitter/time rich! I had a Triumph 955iST for five years 30,000 miles of fantastic motorcycling, dare i say it, It was the best bike i've ever owned:pullface
But as we all mature, i love the character of my beloved GS, its what i've been searching for, since i gave up on Guzzi (7 bikes) days:rolleyes:

My 1150GS is starting to look light compared with the late crop of Adventure bikes. The way that weight's are going the biggest adventure will be getting a "fully fuelled and loaded for camping tour" bike off it's side stand:augie

most proper adv riders swear by DR650's here...but then Tesco's is SO much farther away.

Anyone that looks at these bikes knows full well they are 99.9% road use and happy about it.

I saw this at the show and my first 3 thoughts were:

1) The panniers look cheap, nasty and loose
2) With a lack of sticky outy bits, if it fell over it would go righ over and squash you a lot
3) 20l tank capacity is pathetic to the point where it makes the bike unusable for me

I just wanted to look at my GSA again after that !!

I dont know why these manufacturers don't start being more inventive. They are all chasing the GS dollar and have been for some time. They may pick up the odd sale here and there but the bottom line is the GS is the market leader and nothing has seriously dented it. One big consideration is the GS holds it's price and is tried and tested.
How many times have we heard "GS beater"

I had a GS for three years by the way but don't ride one currently so I'm just trying to be neutral and objective.

The only manufacturer I can see that's tried to be different and innovative in this style of bike is Ducati with the MTS1200 and because of that it commands a premium price and has sales that reflect the innovations.
The rest just seem to be GS sheep

:beerjug:

Just had an e-mail from Triumph and the price is...............(drum roll and contrived tension).................. £11,149.00 on the road.

This is for the standard spec with, ABS, cruise control, traction control and the durable shaft drive unit to the blurb.:rolleyes:

Test ride coming up in the next few weeks:thumb

Just received this from my local dealer.........

Just a little update in regards to the new Triumph Explorer, we have had confirmation of price from Triumph, £11,149 OTR for the standard model and £11,999 OTR for the launch model which is fitted with
Adjustable touring screen
Adventure fog lights
Engine protection bars
Hand guards
Aluminium sump guard
Rubber tank pad
Tyre pressure monitoring system*
As of yet we haven’t had an e.t.a of when we can expect the bike in our showroom but I will contact you when we do finalise a launch night and then we can book you in for a test ride.

Back
Top Bottom