The new Triumph 1200

I'm going to have to get on the Triumph forums....can't wait for the inevitable arguments over the validity of Tyre Pressure Sensors and if they are worth the extra cost :D

.....The rest just seem to be GS sheep

:beerjug:

ut BMW copied the beak design from Suzuki so who is the sheep.

Theres no doubt about it that the GS ios a great bike and was market leader for being so but it had so little competition. As Kaister says very few go offroad further than Tescos car park but the GS can surprise you. The Tiger 800XC went straight to the top of the 800 sector selling far more than the BMW 800GS and I honestly hope the 1200 Triumph does the same (because i'm british and our economy needs every little bit off help it can get). For me having never ridden the 1200 Triumph I think the engine will be far better than the BMW engine but overall I like the BMW more. In my opinion the Triumph just doesn't look right where as the 800XC was a great looking bike.

Horses for courses really :)

Stopped in at Triumph in Guildford on the way home to see what all the fuss is about. All I am going to say is

:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes

BMW have absolutely nothing to worry about.:beerjug:

I had a test ride

I havent read all the of this thread so....

Anyway I had a test ride for an hour on the demo at Fowlers in bristol,
It looks a well built machine in terms of paint finish,quality of fasteners etc,first impression was that the engine was a little buzzy,and very busy,and lacked the immeadiate torque of the gs twin,also the suspension was too hard,checked the preload and it was on its softest setting,im no lightweight so this bothered me a bit,but i have wilbers and it certainately showed up how lush they are.
settled down on it and its a very deceptively quick bike,flattish torque curve id say,but no need to rev it above 6k,if u do u would be going v quick,wind with the big screen was good,i ride open face and it was as nearly as good as my gs,which has had years of fettling to get it rite for me,handling was good.lent over easy and was steady enough,but was wary its not telelever and would sit up and run wide if braking in a corner,comfort was good once i raised the seat from the low position,one thing that really bothered me was the traction control,when coming of the lights u wanted to lift the front wheel u couldnt without turning it off and u have to reset it every time u turn the ignition off,i know most modern bikes come with this but my 05 dont and i like to wheelie when the mood takes and its a pain in the arse,its a lush engine ripe for that kind of fun and to have to fuck about to enjoy it pisses me off,my right wrist is all I need to stop the back stepping out in the wet etc !!.Also my right thumb could not reach the cruise control on/off button when riding had to push it with my left hand,thats no good a throttle lock, the one thats rests againest the brake lever is better for me in this case.
Would I buy one ?
No.
Its a great bike and we should be very proud of it being produced here in britain for sure and some will rate it over the GS as its so quick and it will tick their particular box,s but the traction control and cruise along with the lack of tyre punishing immeadiate torque and the all important looks dont do it for me.............. yet.

5 minutes into a test ride on Saturday and my mind was made up, collecting the launch special in a few days, more than impressed
Larger than the 800 but not by much, powerful, so powerful, found myself driving on average about 10km/h faster, anyone who knows me knows I rarely ride over 65mph:) love the lower revving engine and gearbox, touring screen is awesome, much more capable of taking all my rubbish on tour, handles very well, maybe not quite as nimble as the XC but not far off, its blue and its mine.
One or two photorally/phoker rally shots and its off to the Rooters Saturday night

5 minutes into a test ride on Saturday and my mind was made up, collecting the launch special in a few days, more than impressed
Larger than the 800 but not by much, powerful, so powerful, found myself driving on average about 10km/h faster, anyone who knows me knows I rarely ride over 65mph:) love the lower revving engine and gearbox, touring screen is awesome, much more capable of taking all my rubbish on tour, handles very well, maybe not quite as nimble as the XC but not far off, its blue and its mine.
One or two photorally/phoker rally shots and its off to the Rooters Saturday night

Great choice, good luck with it.

60 mins test ride today on Explorer. Cracking triple engine as expected and pulls well but not quite as fast as I was expecting albeit faster than the GS. Rolls so smoothly into corners and holds a very precise line. The cornering surprised me as to how good/easy it was. Other than that I preferred the GSA. The Explorer seemed small for a large framed person, low seating position so visibility over cars was nowhere near as good, the seat uncomfortable, wind protection similar, my back ached when I got back as the ride is more sports orientated, switchgear is cheap feeling after GS, on same run Explorer returned 2mpg less which is marginal. It's a very good bike but I think the GSA is more refined and by a significant margin too. I would deffo take a GS given the choice on a long run.

I had one for a 24 hr test earlier this week. (Many thanks to Edinburgh Triumph / Two Wheels).

The engine is more than powerful enough and the fuelling is next to perfect. However, after 7 years on GSes, I couldn't help likening it to a big electric motor with slightly shot bearings. It feels "gritty".

I found the handling and roadholding to be good when I got the odd opportunity to find out. I tested it in pretty shitty conditions, starting with a with a 50 mile ride in temperatures of 3 deg C and driving rain. However, the ride was considerably firmer than my 2012 GS ESA, even when it's set on Sport; arguably too stiff for my favourite bumpy goat tracks.

In the very wet conditions, I was trying to ride it as I do my GS in those, ie not leaning it very much in the corners while maintaining speed by shifting weight and holding the bike on the transition between turn-in and lean. The Explorer really didn't like this and felt nowhere near as planted as my GS does in those conditions.

The brakes were a disappointment. My hooligan son rode the bike as well and he also noted this. The degree of bite seemed to be variable and at very low speeds seemed to disappear all together. Similarly, stopping quickly from speed needed a fair old haul on the brakes.

With the screen fully upright, I felt that the wind and weather protection was better than my GS and the racket from the peak on my Tour X was a bit more subdued. The seat felt better than the GS at first acquaintance but it's narrower and my arse hurt after only 120 miles or so. However, the narrow seat contributed to being able to get my feet down and I could just about flat-foot the Explorer whereas I'm nowhere near that on the GS, especially with the Sargent seat fitted. The bars are relatively lower than they are on the GS, in spite of sitting on what look like identical risers. Overall this was the deal-breaker for me, as when I got off the bike after 120 miles that day, I was in pain; whereas on the GS, I'm happy to do 300 mile days.

I didn't think the fit and finish was up to GS standards and an engineer friend who looked at the quality of construction and finish of the bike, especially the frame, came away unimpressed. He does, however, own a 30th Anniversary GS.

Overall, it's not a bad bike at all and the power and torque of the engine are very enjoyable. However, it's not, as yet, good enough to make me change my GS for one.

Poor pic but it's the only one I've got...

Explorer1.jpg

I took the new tiger out last week and then the GSA today, I currently own a tiger 1050.

Overall the new tiger is a good bike, but the riding position just didn't feel right to me, the bars weren't quite wide enough and i felt at a bit of a stretch and i was aching when I got off, the gs on the other hand feels spot on, like I could just ride it all day long. The engine on the new tiger is a big torque monster, delivers it right from very low, I barely revved it past 5.5-6k revs and it had me shifting along at a fair old pace, but once I did rev it up to the red line it left me deflated, its nothing like my 1050, the 1050 has creamy torque low down and then you sweep past 6k and it comes alive...the 12 doesn't. The GS's motor surprised me a little, while I feel there could be a bit better pick up from low down it to gets lively as you sweep past 6k revs almost to the point like it feels like a different bike to the one you just set off on, now I know there are probably lots of GS riders who never rev them that high....but you're missing out chaps!! bike feels good being revved..

So my Triumph dealer didn't look impressed that I wasn't blown away by it, he will be even more pissed off if I buy a triple black that I have my eye on ..:augie

There is an all new 1050 on the way next year, worth considering, re the GS, one of the main reasons I didnt go for one was the fact that I was ripped off on service charges, make sure you know what each is going to cost, beautiful bike to ride too, the GSA is in another league :aidan

Test Ride

Went for a test ride yesterday for about 1 hour and have to say that I was not blown away and am a little disappointed.

Just to position myself I currently own 3 bikes a 1100 GS, 1100 RT and a ZZR1400, my go to bike is the oldest and has the most miles and is the GS it is because my GS now has 60,000 miles on it that I am interested in anything that might be a big improvement.

I thought that the Triumph was good but was let down by a few things the main one for me is the fly by wire throttle, it is like an on and off switch. The whole package felt bulky compared to my 1100 and although the engine has a lot more power my 1100 is more nimble. If only BMW made an 1100 with 30 extra horses !!!!, should say that my 1100 has 17 inch wheels with good sports touring tyres.

I do hope that the Triumph is a success because it is made by a British company however it is not for me. The journalist seem to rate it very highly perhaps it is just me or then again .............

Hi all, I too had a demo on the fully spec,d launch model on saturday bike was from Pidcocks and I was sold on the looks alone but that's as far as it got, at 5'7" the reach to the bars seem to be more than the gs and after a while It gave me shoulder ache! I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and so my heel hit the centre stand every time ! with the seat in the low position and the screen tried at every angle I could not reduce the buffeting and was very annoying, the front forks seem very soft load the brake and it wanted to headbutt me into the Tarmac, the rear brake was poor had zero feeling, the span adjustment on the levers was not enough for my smallish hands but ok, tyre pressure monitors did not work they had gone faulty already ! I found the throttle to be wooly most peeps had said it was crisp not on the bike I road it was 1/4 turn before it did anything, handling wise it did not feel as stable as my gs I found the bike wanted to run wide when I had it leant over but than again it's no sports bike, the engine was nice and had plenty of go and sounded lovely with the stock can.

When I took it back and said thank you but I won't be putting my order in I was told I was the 1st to dislike it ! and tbh i wanted to like it so My conclusion is that it's still work in progress and being a new model has flaws that I'm sure will be put right in time once peeps take ownership and give there feedback to triumph.

Dave.

960km in the first week, love the bike, not as nimble as the 800xc especially "off the road" getting 5.3l/100 km, a fraction less than the 800xc, only problem I have is with the span on the levers but didnt check for adjustment, its a long reach, cruise control is great, no issues with the tire pressure monitor, fly by wire or the rear brake, the launch edition is a mile muncher, am I glad I bought one...yes, glad I didnt go for the GS....yes.....outrageous BMW service charges here in Cork left me in no doubt I would not be buying another "for the moment anyway"

Sat on one and went no further - just physically too small for me but thats my problem being 6'3".

Back
Top Bottom