Dick Lovett Bristol Motorrad

61nearlybold

Reaction score
Up and running, officially from Tuesday 1st. New purpose built showroom on the site will be ready July 2012.
2 people from Bath Road have joined the team, including the technician so servicing should be up to standard from the start.
Manager is Nigel Elphick who owns bikes and is a really nice bloke.
Labour rates are cheaper than the old Bath Road dearlership and other BMW Motorrad dealers in the South West.
I recieved a very warm welcome and coffee so will be popping in from time to time.:rob

For the last 10 years, BRM have always given me good service . So i was was a bit dissapointed that they lost the franchise.:comfort

However, I've also been buying cars from Dick Lovett for many years, and they've also been spot on. So i've got high hopes for their adoption of the bike franchise also.

And its just around the corner from where i live...:clap

Drove past Dick Lovett today and noticed all the bikes in the RHS of the showroom. A tad suprised as it wasn't that long ago that BRM invested in a new (although tad small) building and branded showroom (hope they got some return on the investment). I guess they weren't swankey enough for BMW Motorrad branding. I'll stick with CW's I think although I fear they may go the same way as this image over substance policy.

I live 1 mile from Dick Lovett's and work 1 mile from Bristol Motorrad, so both are highly convenient to me and I wish both ventures success and both will have people that you know

Everyone will have choice reasons as to where they go and seeing as the thread starter has made a cost reason, I should correct the erroneous statement:

Cost:
Up and running, officially from Tuesday 1st.
Labour rates are cheaper than the old Bath Road dearlership and other BMW Motorrad dealers in the South West.
:rob

You'll never get cheaper labour rates at a big posh multi million pound franchised showroom:, we can expect £75 per hour. Conversely an independent is free from associated costs of being a franchise and looking at Bristol Motorrad's newsletter, and Bath Rd Motorcycle's website, with servicing menu prices, it is clear that independent servicing is massively cheaper, in the region of £45 per hour in my estimate.

Warranties:
Under the European block exemption rule we do not need to go to a main franchised dealer for servicing. I am not sure about actual warranty work though.

Extended warranties
This is a different matter and not covered by the block exemption rules, because it is an insurance based, paid for product and BMW use Mondial. Those of us with extended warranties must have servicing at a franchised dealer, where you'll need to pay for the showroom ! :D

I have an extended warranty:rob

p.s. this general thread should be in the chat section because it is a local issue and not exclusive to 1200's

You'll never get cheaper labour rates at a big posh multi million pound franchised showroom:, we can expect £75 per hour. Conversely an independent is free from associated costs of being a franchise and looking at Bristol Motorrad's newsletter, and Bath Rd Motorcycle's website, with servicing menu prices, it is clear that independent servicing is massively cheaper, in the region of £45 per hour.

Yes independants will be cheaper, but you are wrong about the £75 per hour.
I had my service done at Bath Road in early October and paid £69 per hour. Dick Lovett will be £64 per hour, I know this because I asked.:rob

Last edited:
It does become hard to compare, when one outfit quotes inclusive and another adds vat. DL will add vat and your £69 becomes £83 for an hours labour. BRM are advertising an all in interim service inc vat and genuine parts for £90.
Don't quote me on any of these deals and make your own enquiries, but I still maintain that DL, as a franchised dealer will cost us all more.

Mondial (BMW) insist that I go to DL

Back
Top Bottom