BBC 4 - 9 pm tonight offroad in the peaks

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tales from the National Parks
The Peak District
2/3. A look at a campaign to stop motorists overusing the Peak District villages' green lanes.

A few got collered tuther week for riding lanes with restrictions on them
£60 quid a time
Nice earner for operation Blackbrook

Watch what yer doing and where yer gooowin :rob

BBC blurb
The National Parks are Britain's most treasured landscapes, but they are increasingly becoming battlefields. They were designated 60 years ago as places for everyone, but is that still the case? In this series, the award-winning filmmaker Richard Macer spent a year amid conflicts in three different parks, on a journey to discover who they are really for.

In each park the stories are very different, but there is something that unites them all - fiercely divided communities who are prepared to fight in order to preserve their right to enjoy the countryside. For each film Macer has secured access to the National Park Authority - an organisation which looks after the landscapes and decides upon planning matters. In all these stories the Park Authorities have a key role to play in trying to find amicable solutions to the problems which confront them.

A war is breaking out in the charming villages of the Peak District, with walkers, horseriders and residents angry at 4x4 drivers and trailbikers motoring up and down the green lanes for pleasure. So an 80-year-old retired primary school teacher decides to launch a campaign to get the motorists banned from a lane in her village of Great Longstone. Over the next few months the campaign snowballs and more and more villages decide they've had enough of the off-roaders on their lanes.

Macer filmed for over a year in the Peak District and was granted exclusive access to the inner workings of how the Park is run. Will the Peak District Park Authority bow down to public pressure or will it side with the off-roaders?

Roy Hattersley has a Holiday home there - I believe he was quoted once saying they charge around all the lanes on their Harley Davidsons

There are twats spoiling it for others there are folk trying to push the price of their home up by having more "private" roads for themselves

Hey Mick

Love the way they kept stressing it as "off-roading". I was always under the impression that we were riding on legal roads. Therefore its on-roading!

Calling it off-roading automatically makes the less well informed think we are riding on any old piece of land.

Must get the XC up there again soon - last time I was up there on two wheels was in October & I was doing this:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1001003

and yes - I did it ( though only the short route ).

Paul

Just watched this biased piece of crap on TV. Using emotive images of little old ladies in tears and a horse shying away from the camera as if to suggest it was frightened by an evil motorcyclist. :mad:

I thought that the off roaders came across OK, and the group who were out to try to Ban everything were made to look like a bunch of Busy bodies :blagblah

I thought that the off roaders came across OK, and the group who were out to try to Ban everything were made to look like a bunch of Busy bodies :blagblah

They weren't given much airtime to get their views across though. It must have been 90% for the nimbys and 10% for the 4x4 users. I can't see the general public siding against the nimbys on the strength of this show.

Just watched this biased piece of crap on TV. Using emotive images of little old ladies in tears and a horse shying away from the camera as if to suggest it was frightened by an evil motorcyclist. :mad:

You must've seen a different edit to the one I viewed. I thought it was balanced, as it should be from the BBC. The off road group had a lot of exposure and the closing credits made it clear that the legal challenge in the high court spoken about at a meeting was now in progress.

Motorcyclists were given similar opportunities to express emotive views. One chap opined that the ramblers wanted a 1950s idyll of ginger beer & sandwiches. In fact, the emotion expressed by the ramblers group showed them to be acting like petulent school children. They just looked ridiculous standing in the middle of the byway whilst traffic was passing. Covered in hi-viz, had a "safety officer" but placed themselves at risk.

I was particularly impressed with the officials from the National Park who seemed to want to keep both sides happy and weren't very sympathetic towards the Professor who is obviously not used to people challenging his views.

Must have done. The one I saw had numerous mentions of "problems with off-roaders" in the narrative, showed motorcyclists riding through groups of walkers and showed the off-road groups to be a well organised body well versed in the making the law work for them, while the residents were obviously the underdogs just trying to protect themselves from the motorised menace intent on destroying the local lanes, chasing away tourists and generally turning the coutryside into an ugly, noisy place.

I must look at it on iPlayer... the beauty is simple why let the truth get in the way of a good story backed up.... nicely framed footage....:thumb2

NIMBYism at it's finest!

You can't beat a flask of tea parked up at a romantic viewpoint, followed by fanny-batter soaked in vinegar.

NIMBYism at it's finest!

Their agenda is raising the prices of their houses, feck all else.
Once the trailbikes and 4x4s have be barred, they will move focus on to the mountainbikers and then horsey folk.

You can't beat a flask of tea parked up at a romantic viewpoint, followed by fanny-batter soaked in vinegar.

Jurassic Doggers......:barf

And the couple who had 'made love for the first time' after looking at a hill.... what fecking planet are those freaks from......:eek:

Sad cnuts. :censor:

Their agenda is raising the prices of their houses, feck all else.
Once the trailbikes and 4x4s have be barred, they will move focus on to the mountainbikers and then horsey folk.

Jurassic Doggers......:barf

And the couple who had 'made love for the first time' after looking at a hill.... what fecking planet are those freaks from......:eek:

Sad cnuts. :censor:

What he said.

I really hope that it backfires on them and that lane becomes one of the busiest in the f*cking area. I'm tempted to go up there just to ride up and down it all day. C***s.

I watched it - and was not upset about the slightly biased editing
But the editer balls his job prospects a bit I would think as thats a shit years work
It was poor quality TV
The little old lady stood in the track-marks saying where was she to stand should think also where am I to stand when local farmer comes along on his tractor and trailer never mind the bikes and so called 4x4
On the subject of 4x4 The wallys snow surfing in front of the cameras didnt do themselves any favours did they
the problem is that not all the viewers look at the program as we do
They will be impressed with the old folks "dunkeque spirit"
Did you see old slavergob Hattersley in the meetings ?? His gaffs, now I suggest, edited from the final cut
I have sent a message to Skygod not to dooooo the retired teacher any more untill she changes her opinion
Timpo is quite right in saying there is monetary gains to be had in this area if changes can be forced
I did like the local councils honest thoughts and action they behave well :clap
Also I know some folk will not like this bit -
Chapelgate should be shutdown at the moment the place is a mess with folk riding and driving just about anywhere than on the trail - the water is/has finished what damage is there - Also lets ban the walkers off it - I dont think that will happen though :rob
I am sure'ish that standage edge has a volantary TRO on it at mo
Cherpit lane at present is a nice easy trail /road that can be done on just about any form of transport as the council have graded and re-stoned the lane
I would also like to remind folk the lanes are those peoples property just as much as yours and mine so if yer up in the Peak District try and
"Ponytrek on 2 wheels" stop and have a natter / debate dont frighten the frittened any more than this program has :rob
Last bit to say Kevin Lowe (Policeman in the show) has stopped me and he is a good lad if treat right I think he is fair (every time a bike or other is spotted off tarmac he gets a call relating to the berserker's wildly travelling though an area) sadly he is retiring soon
There is a definitive map the peak district - checkout yer route if yerve an old mapset
http://derbyshiremaps.derbyshire.go...arker=&zoom=&back=&pc=&layers=&sl=&sf=&sv=&p=

Just watched the program.

I do not ride trails on my bike but have done a small bit of off-roading in my SUV (or as somebody quite rightly earlier said that it is on-roading as it is a public road) but only really go down small tracks as basically, I do not know what I am doing and am a solo vehicle.
I have not walked (rambled) in the country side for a number of years but enjoy the scenary from the roads.

I did find the program was balanced more in the favour of the Peak residents but the on-roaders and Peak District chaps put on a good show and I think came out better in my mind.

I look at it this way. Byways are 'legal' roads and anybody can use them and should have respect for other users of them. Just like we do with the roads (i.e. byways) going through hamlets, towns cities etc.

As for the bit about Cherpit Lane not being wide enough ... I have been down many tarmac'd country roads where it it only wide enough to get one vehicle down with pedestrians having to stand sideways. Does that mean that we should stop all vehicles from going down these roads? Of course not 'cos then it would mean the ramblers would not be able to drive to their favourite walk.

As for Chapelgate ... the report said that it was getting eroded by both vehicular and pedestrian use and I agree from the filming it is in a terrible state. However, all users should have been banned from using it seeing as they all were contributing to it's decline. In this instance I beleive that discrimination has taken place against vehicular traffic.

Anyway, I am up in the Peak District in a couple of weeks so may excercise my legal right and drive down Cherpit Lane (whereever it is!).

:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf

Old ladies with nothing else to do. Next they will be after using non-organic flower in the tea cakes.

Anyone who didn't see it (or miss set their video and only saw half of it :( )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016psp6/Tales_from_the_National_Parks_The_Peak_District/

There for another 13 days.

I thought the film itself was reasonably balanced (but naturally fumed through most of it)

Begs the question if the same arguments couldn't be used on the corruct Dales National Park - why is access being removed rather than maintained or increased. There is a real problem there with suggetsions of mis-use of power.

I love my countryside and spend as much time as possible walking running cycling climbing and motorcycling in it...perhapos that's why I'm more reasonable than most of the 'anti's'.

It makes you wonder what would happen if large rallies of trail bikers riding respectfully around the main roads of the peak disticts at 20mph would be veiwed as akin to the actions of the Kinder tresspass... I thought not :p

Too many selfish people in the countryside too often :(

We're all getting older mind - and many of the 'antis' are older than us...which means if we can just hang on long enough ;)

Found it and also the correct spelling (Chertpit Lane) and just a few miles away from where I will be on holiday.

If you are precious about your car, don't do it! It has been cut back and is a lot better than it was but is still very narrow in places with thorn bushes overhanging. You won't get through in a 4x4 without a few scratches!
The Northern end of the lane is about a mile from my front door and it's a lane I ride/drive regularly.

If you are precious about your car, don't do it! It has been cut back and is a lot better than it was but is still very narrow in places with thorn bushes overhanging. You won't get through in a 4x4 without a few scratches!

That may explain one of the female comments on the program that somebody went down the lane in a 4x4 and turned around.

If only they had taken the offer up of having their bushes trimmed!

Back
Top Bottom