Just passed my IAM test

Nice one Jed - I have a taste for IAM after a BikeSafe course earlier in the year.

I take it you joined the Wokingham branch? Recommended? Might pitch the next time my shifts suit....

I did mine with TVAM in Wokingham too. I joined 9 months after passing my direct access, having written off a lovely GS F650 single within the first 6 months. :eek: The TVAM bunch are great, welcoming etc. There are the usual individuals you may not gel with, but if you don't like your assigned oberver just ask for another one. Mine was a lovely lady called Louise, 5ft and rides a R6.

It definitely helped improve my riding, even my husband found he benefited and he'd been riding 30yrs!

Well done - passed mine yesterday (all 1's so feeling a bit smug) - only took 30 years from road test to Advanced test. Even managed to stall but recovered with grace. Planning to move on now and get some more training in and hopefully not get too cocky ~ Pride before a Fall etc.

If you felt it helped you, then keep it up and become an observer, you will learn more and help other riders :thumb You will enjoy it.

Well done - passed mine yesterday (all 1's so feeling a bit smug) - only took 30 years from road test to Advanced test. Even managed to stall but recovered with grace. Planning to move on now and get some more training in and hopefully not get too cocky ~ Pride before a Fall etc.

You stalled and got all ones? :rolleyes:

You stalled and got all ones? :rolleyes:

I had an IAM assessment ride in the summer & got all 1's ....... So I asked for my certificate for an insurance discount :)

He said he couldn't give me one as he was only an Observer

I then realised how 'subjective & amateur' it was

I would prefer an intensive 1 to 1 for 2-3 days with someone like Micky or Jim Bryan

I had an IAM assessment ride in the summer & got all 1's ....... So I asked for my certificate for an insurance discount :)

I would prefer an intensive 1 to 1 for 2-3 days with someone like Micky or Jim Bryan

You could contact the iam and quote your number and ask them for one.

IAM tests are conducted by examiners, not observers - were you not aware of that?

Mike
185988806_vWtYy-Ti.gif

Do you have a web link or contact details?

Got my IAM test coming up soon, but must admit I find a lot of what is in the book does not work in the real world, for example it only shows overtakes for a single car with no other traffic, where I live you always find cars in bunches sat close together and the IAM system has no way of dealing with this.

I would like to take on training beyond the IAM to hone my real world skills, such as getting past lines of dopey car drivers sat a fag papers width apart, filtering through traffic in the real world (where every car does not leave a motorcycle sized gap for you to pull into)

I think some of the bike stuff also comes straight from car techniques, such as block changing, in a car you can roll up to a junction in top and go straight into 1st gear, on most motorcycles if you try this you end up having to pull away from the lights in 4th gear!

The other issue I have always had with IAM riders is that of judging how good a rider is by how infrequently they brake, I agree with riding smoothly and not keeping morse code alive with your brake light, but at the same time when approaching a tight bend I would rather use a bit of brake and a couple of downchanges in the last 100 metres than shut off half a mile early before clonking down 3 gears in one go just as I arrive at the bend.

Aiming for the IAM test has improved my hazard perception and positioning considerably, I think it was reasonable to begin with, but a bit more polished now and it has certainly helped me to break my terrible habbit of following far too close (now I just follow a bit too close)

Hoping I will get a pass, but see this as the first step in improving my riding, and not the last.

I am happy with my vehicle handling from doing various race schools, the CSS and a few track days over the years, I would like to add some off-road skills to my portfolio, and maybe do an independant riding course where the focus is on improving how I ride in the real world.

Do you have a web link or contact details?

Got my IAM test coming up soon, but must admit I find a lot of what is in the book does not work in the real world, for example it only shows overtakes for a single car with no other traffic, where I live you always find cars in bunches sat close together and the IAM system has no way of dealing with this.

I would like to take on training beyond the IAM to hone my real world skills, such as getting past lines of dopey car drivers sat a fag papers width apart, filtering through traffic in the real world (where every car does not leave a motorcycle sized gap for you to pull into)

I think some of the bike stuff also comes straight from car techniques, such as block changing, in a car you can roll up to a junction in top and go straight into 1st gear, on most motorcycles if you try this you end up having to pull away from the lights in 4th gear!

The other issue I have always had with IAM riders is that of judging how good a rider is by how infrequently they brake, I agree with riding smoothly and not keeping morse code alive with your brake light, but at the same time when approaching a tight bend I would rather use a bit of brake and a couple of downchanges in the last 100 metres than shut off half a mile early before clonking down 3 gears in one go just as I arrive at the bend.

Aiming for the IAM test has improved my hazard perception and positioning considerably, I think it was reasonable to begin with, but a bit more polished now and it has certainly helped me to break my terrible habbit of following far too close (now I just follow a bit too close)

Hoping I will get a pass, but see this as the first step in improving my riding, and not the last.

I am happy with my vehicle handling from doing various race schools, the CSS and a few track days over the years, I would like to add some off-road skills to my portfolio, and maybe do an independant riding course where the focus is on improving how I ride in the real world.

Jim Bryan

http://enhancedriding.com/

He also does OffRoad training too, starting with machine control on Trials bikes

IAM tests are conducted by examiners, not observers - were you not aware of that?

Mike
185988806_vWtYy-Ti.gif

Of course MIke, I did know that

Just trying to point out how subjective the amateur Observer based training is, although all IAM Examiners are ex Class 1 Police

It's good that you've gone for something like the IAM training and test... as many of us have in the past. Just keep in mind that none of these levels should ever stop you learning and a fair bit of what you will get told is laced with opinion and in some cases not backed up with experience...

The best experience is lots of miles in all conditions and throw in a few different bikes as well (even Harley's):D

Also just 'cos some people wear dayglo, have a badge, and ride BM's it doesn't mean they know what the fXXX they are on about...:D:D

Have fun:thumb

Well exactly 11 months to the day (1st Dec 2010) since I passed by DAS (5 day process and never been on a bike before ) I've covered 11,500miles and just passed my IAM. Got majority 1's with a few 2's - chuffed to bits.
I know IAM is not everyones cup of tea - but i really enjoyed it and found it dead useful as a new rider.

Margarita time tonight :beer jug:

Many congratulations! :beerjug:

Local groups can provide an assessed ride but it is no more than that observer's opinion of your riding as it currently stands. Most groups will do this for free if you ask nice, but you can purchase a RideCheck from the IAM. It is similar to BikeSafe in that you're not being taught, only given an insight into where you currently are and to give you some hints and tips to whet your appetite for going on to some kind of further training. Hope this clarifies :bounce1

The build up to the overtake for a single vehicle or multi-vehicle overtake is the same. (In brief summary...) you move up from your normal following position when you think an overtaking opportunity is likely to be available, take in all your observations ensuring that no hazard will prohibit the manoeuvre and decide where you can see where you will get back in. When safe to do so, move out into the opposing carriageway maintaining the same distance from the vehicle in front (to allow for the overtake to be aborted) and once you're happy it is safe to go, power on past the vehicles, returning into the gap you identified. I really have summarised this as I don't want to appear to be giving instruction.

Have you taken this up with your observer, senior observer or chief observer? Filtering is a hard thing for an observer to 'teach' but it's not impossible and something your group should be able to help you with.

The system comes straight from the car book, which is adapted straight from Roadcraft. Block changing on a bike comes down to holding the clutch in and taking multiple downshifts, usually as you come to rest, but any hazard that induces a reduction in speed may call for one. You make this very point in your next paragraph below :)

I agree (mostly!) with you. If the limit point really isn't moving (or is coming toward you) and all the information available to you says SLOW DOWN then use the brakes. Acceleration sense is great on a sweeping road, but for the really tight stuff and when coming to stop line, use the brakes, that's what they're for. We're looking to make progress, not hold up other road users and not to do anything an other road user won't expect you to do. Rolling off a country mile before the bend isn't a good plan simply not to use the brakes. It's something our group has discussed many times before.

You'll notice from the book that there is very little on machine control. That's something for someone to teach. Counter (or positive) steering was only added to the latest version of the book. The whole thing revolves around being in the correct position on the road, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged for the particular set of circumstances presented to you at a particular moment in time.

Since passing my test I have done a number of training courses with other companies/individuals and it's all tools in the mental toolbox for when you need them. As you've probably guessed I've also done my observer and senior observer training.

I don't know it all, I don't claim to and I don't try to imply I do either. Every associate teaches me something new in the way they've analysed something.

I'd recommend the IAM course to anyone. There are very few riders out there that wouldn't benefit from it (or something similar). I'm not sure I'd be here today had I not done it and hadn't calmed down and learned how to ride a lot better.:roll

I hope I've given you some clarification to your points. If I haven't, PM me and I'll try and explain better. If you already know what I've said, my apologies, I'm not trying to teach your granny to suck eggs.:rob:blast

I wish you the very best with you test. From what you've said you appear to be a thinking rider and I don't think you will have too much trouble in passing. Despite the concerns you've raised I hope you've enjoyed it your SfL course :thumb If you've got any questions, bring it up with your observer or drop me a line and I'll help you if I can.

Cheers

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom