Just passed my IAM test

The first annoyance for me is not riding at my "normal" pace, at my natural speed things flow a lot better, positioning for corners (and the lines) make more sense as the speed is matched accurately to the bend (not mated to an exact number on the speedo) my brain wakes up and goes in full bore information processing mode instead of me having to keep forcing it out of standby.

This is not a criticism of the IAM as they obviously have to work within the speed limits set by the law - you know the ones originally designed for Morris Minors and Royal Oilfields, only we now have predominantly lower speed limits these days, yet the vehicles are capable of travelling a fair bit quicker with better safety margins.

The hardest thing for me was the need to be so exact with speed, generally I do slow right down for 30's and 40's, but still use my brain, if the 30 limit starts a mile from the village (like so many these days do) I may not be bang on 30 as I go through the signs.

With modern bikes 30mph is a real crawl, the GS is not too happy at that speed, third gives little control and second is a bit revvy - and both have the bike surging a bit, with 40's not being much better as they seem to sit between third and fourth gear.

As roads are rarely dead flat I find myself looking at the speedo a lot to make sure I don't creep up a bit too quick, or get penalised for not making progress, it seems like you spend half your time looking down at the speedo instead of where your going.

:thumb

Well done for passing.

I think that it is worth being precise with the 30s and 40s for various reasons. With experience you can then dial in 30 or 40 without having to look at the speedo. A good test is to set yourself up at 30 or 40 and then check how accurate you can be.

You stalled and got all ones? :rolleyes:
yep it was a rolling stall I.e. fired it up still moving whilst an elderly chap faffed about going for a gap then not then did then didn't. Managed to get a cracking overtake in early and some good filtering which the examiner was complimentary about. I thought my ride was a bit ropey at times, so if got all 1's for it makes you wonder what the average rider is like?

. I thought my ride was a bit ropey at times, so if got all 1's for it makes you wonder what the average rider is like?

You've summed up the arrogant mentality of the typical IAM/Rospa badge collector to a tee. :thumb

Not here

You've summed up the arrogant mentality of the typical IAM/Rospa badge collector to a tee. :thumb

I guess that this is your experience of such people, mine is a bit different. We get to know many of our guests quite well and those who are IAM or Rospa trained don't often come across as arrogant. Most are just people who have an interest in improving their riding-a continuous process as has been mentioned. I rode last summer with a group who were all IAM observers, because I know the roads well I usually have to slow down when leading a ride out- not with this lot! We also had an instance of guest, Rospa trained and a professional instructor taking another guest under his wing on a days ride out. For a change I rode at the back following the self confessed nervous rider. For the first few hours I was never in doubt that we were approaching a corner, the brake light came on long before! We rode over the Grossglockner and around in a big loop coming back via the wonderful B99. Mike, the instructor (http://peakridertraining.com) worked his magic and almost like throwing a switch our nervous rider was transformed. It really was like following a different man. And he was using the brakes only when they were actually needed.

I am sure there are arrogant people out there, maybe they just don't travel this far.

John

Not sure that was my intention - the two observed runs i did (I have had 2 one day 1 to 1 training days about 10 years ago ~ try to use what I learnt when I ride) where constructive and quite good fun, made me think more than usual - no time for my regular off-tune singing as I ride.

The test examiner is a Police trainer / examiner and spotted allsorts about me i have never been aware of, whilst also running the test - i.e. I sit ever so slightly off centre on the bike ~ never been aware of this before.

The IAM members I have met generally seem decent chaps and just enjoy their riding - they also seem to like a bit of "Progress" when not in observing mode. Might be as the group is a Motorcycle Club that runs the IAM Tests rather than the other way round.

That said I have heard IAM referred to as I AM better than you, just not come across this from the people i have met. The perception of the IAM is what took me about 15 years to have a go, just goes to prove stereotyping is not a good idea :)

How much did it cost you all in for the IAM course and test?

You pay £139 for the "Skills for Life" package - this includes your first year's membership of both IAM and, usually, your local affiliated group which in your case is probably Peterborough Advanced Motorcyclists (www.pecam.org). The only other cost is a contribution towards your observers' fuel (usually £5 or £10 per ride depending on their costs and length of ride).

I passed my IAM test in October (with a F1RST - see www.iam.org.uk for details - not that I'm proud or anything :D) and have had an entirely positive experience - can't recommend it highly enough. No sign of the alleged 'safety nazi' culture just a load of good guys and gals who all want to ride as well as they can and pass on that knowledge to others. I know that the training I received has saved me from pain, and possibly worse, on several occasions.

Aside from that there's a good social side and rides out. Go for it! :thumb

IAM

Only passed bike test last summer :beerjug: and ahveing done a few K since, thought it was best to get some training before all those bad habits develop :augie Sooo... Have signed up for the IAM Skills for Life programme, which I hope to do through Harrogate Advanced Bikes :thumb2 Anyone on hear from Them?

Ride Safe :beerjug::beerjug:

Well done that man, I did mine some years back and also did the observer bit for a year or two until I moved location,enjoy and remember you are only as good as your last decision.

Back
Top Bottom