Moving to Wales

Yes it is, I forgot, my friends live in Parkend and I drive through Lydney to go to them :blast The countryside around the Forest is cracking and Rob wants somewhere rural.

Parkend is okay, apart from being a bit close to Lydney, Ruspidge & Soudley. I lived not far from there, about half way to Ross on Wye near Kerne Bridge whilst working for Xerox at Mitcheldean.

Woodman Pub in Parkend does, or did last time I ate there, decent food.

I live near Cowbridge. You can get a nice house here for £400k with enough land for chooks. My family has been very happy here - very rural despite easy commute to Cardiff.

And your going to love the Welsh biking roads!

I commute via St Fagans cross country and it takes 25 minutes.
Only disadvantage is that Spring and Autumn you commute both ways with the sun low in your eyes.

I commuted to Cardiff for 2 years from Abergavenny - St Mellons is closer so 30 mins on a good day. I used the bike a lot as getting onto the M4 at Malpas can be a pain.

Monmouthsire is a pleasant county to live in, mostly. You are competing with the second home crowd in the prettier places like the Wye & Usk Valleys so there is a premium on property prices.

The area between Monnmouth and Abergavenny is a favourite of mine and houses will be a cheaper than the Wye Valley. Great roads for motorcycling. Cross Ash has a primary school if you have young kids. If you have older kids then choose places in the Monmouth or Abergavenny catchments as the schools in the north of the county are much better. Go into the Monnow Valley between Skenfrith & Pontrilas and you can find isolated houses with no visible neighbours.

Also consider just across the border in Herefordshire or Gloucestershire. If you can tolerate the Wye Valley house premium then Redbrook is a nice village. Near Monmouth but just in Glos. Great pub across the footbridge in Wales - the Boat. Towards Ross on Wye, Whitchurch is a large village with a primary school and a couple of pubs. Ross high school is excellent. Nearer Chepstow, the rural area towards Lydney & Coleford is okay (but I'm no fan of Lydney, Chepstow or Coleford towns).

If you fancy living in a market town then Monmouth would be my recommendation. Raglan is a large village with pubs, primary school & a small supermarket for that semi-rural feel.

Completely agree :thumb . I live in a village outside Ross and go to Monmouth every weekend for kids rugby. Easy commute to St Mellons and both are terrific towns

Wales- you won't like it. Crap country for bikers. I mean look, this is what I had to put up with today......

Attachments

• _DSC3313.jpg
    _DSC3313.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 139
  • _DSC3312.jpg
    _DSC3312.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 139
Anywhere in the Swansea/Neath valley ,only 45 mins to Cardiff ,fantasic roads and views ,also the people are a lot nicer .

Notice i said the valleys and not the city :thumb2

further West

Consider the M4 corridor to West Wales...as Jasext says its much nicer over here, Carmathen is only 70 mins from Cardiff which wont be a problem if you are only doing it a few times a week and the Arterial routes are very good allowing you access to all the best Wales has to offer but within 20 mins of a dual carriageway or Motorway.. For that Kind of money you will be looking at a good 4 bedroom smallholding with at least 5- 10 acres and out buildings so plenty of room for the wifes horse and your bikes..Good Luck with the move

Lovely house, crap location behind a car dealership & next to a new housing development. Busy A40 is within earshot as is the landing pad for the air ambulance at the very close hospital. Just look at the streetview link provided by rightmove. You'd be able to get on friendly terms with the camera van operator & motocycle traffic cops as it is a favourite spot to nab people as the come into town from Brecon.

The Property Bee add-on for Firefox shows that it has been on the market for ages, first listed in Feb 2008.

Just don't come as far out as Ystradgynlais, they don't speak English and when they lose at rugby to the English team, you need to hide for several months.

Lovely house, crap location behind a car dealership & next to a new housing development. Busy A40 is within earshot as is the landing pad for the air ambulance at the very close hospital. Just look at the streetview link provided by rightmove. You'd be able to get on friendly terms with the camera van operator & motocycle traffic cops as it is a favourite spot to nab people as the come into town from Brecon.

The Property Bee add-on for Firefox shows that it has been on the market for ages, first listed in Feb 2008.

So why en yew telling him to move to Abergavenny then? ;)

Perfect is Aber...bloody perfect. :thumb2

So why en yew telling him to move to Abergavenny then? ;)

Perfect is Aber...bloody perfect. :thumb2

Your reading comprehension has room for improvement as I didn't recommend Abergavenny.

I recommended Monmouth as the best town in Monmouthshire and suggested a few rural areas.

However, Abergavenny is a large town which does have a few nice places to live. Anywhere alongside the busy A40 which goes through the middle of town wouldn't be one of them. I've lived in Abergavenny since 2005, having moved here to look after a relative. Now the relative is in a nursing home I am looking forward to moving elsewhere as I just can't take to the town.

Your reading comprehension has room for improvement as I didn't recommend Abergavenny.

Touche, as that is EXACTLY what I was asking you, namely, as a resident of Abergavenny, why you weren't recommending it. The tone of your reply explains it all though thanks butty boy.

:aidan

(and Abergavenny is hardly a large town now is it? )

Touche, as that is EXACTLY what I was asking you, namely, as a resident of Abergavenny, why you weren't recommending it. The tone of your reply explains it all though thanks butty boy.

:aidan

(and Abergavenny is hardly a large town now is it? )

Your status says you are in Sheffield and this appears to be the first time I have noticed you live in Abergavenny, althought your other post made me wonder . Are you a returning emigré or a newbie to the area? Perhaps you should change your status.

Just for a bit more context: I grew up in Monmouth, so tend to be a bit biased. A state funded education at the private Monmouth School has placed a very large chip on each shoulder.

In a Welsh context, Abergavenny is a large town, compared to places like Welshpool, Aberaeron or Hay on Wye.

Loving their Chippy, superb :D

Used to park up overnight in either of the two Raglan laybyes with my two days a week artic bit (44 tonner silly) walk up the alley and into the village, use the real ale pub next door :beer:, stagger out and into the Chippie, best F&C's for miles :thumb, no good for my waistline! :(

Back
Top Bottom