ethernet to ADSL converter/cable

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a desktop PC hooked up the the interweb by (non wireless) cable modem (virgin media :blast ) via ethernet cable.

I bought the missus a laptop and she also uses a(nother) work laptop to work from home sometimes, so we now need a wireless router for the first time for the 2 laptops. I've acquired one gratis. It's a netgear 54mbps wireless ADSL router - model DG834G v3.

Problem I have is that the netgear router only has an ADSL 'in' connection.

I've been to maplin today where the (unusually for maplin) not especially helpful youth said I need an ethernet to modem cable or adapter which they don't sell, but which I should get on play.com.

I've been on play.com and searched for:
ethernet to modem cable;
ethernet to modem adapter;
ethernet to ADSL cable;
ethernet to ADSL adapter;
but so far drawn a blank.

Anyone here got any suggestions and/or am I overlooking anything else obvious .... ?

That router is not what you need. You need a wireless access point, a WG602 is one such, but there are many others, not generally expensive. You then use the ethernet port on the cable modem to connect the WG602 (or whatever you get).

Does the cable modem only have one ethernet port - if so you might need a small 4-port hub, which Maplins do sell.

Sorry, you might be able to use the DG834, it has several ethernet ports, so try connecting it to the cable modem with one port, and the desktop with a cable to another port, you might be able to access the DG834 internal website to disable the functions you do not need.

As others say, the box you have acquired is for use with a BT line. It already converts ethernet to ADSL - but only in the direction of sending data from the home computer back to the ISP over a telephone line.

Save yourself any hassle and spend £20 in PCWorld for one of the wifi routers suitable for use with a cable modem/router shown here:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cable-wireless-routers/727_7087_70094_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

It will plug inbetween your existing cable modem and desktop PC plus give wifi access to the portabke devices. You will be able to plug other devices into the other 3 ethernet ports as well, should you need to.

Choice of 2 makes - just get whichever is in stock as the Belkin & TP Link are much of a muchness. They'll both have set-up wizards to configure them to provide a secure wifi network at home. Just make sure you do the set-up using a cable connection from your main PC before activating the wifi.

Can the router you have be put into bridge mode?

Might do the job?

All the answers saying you need an access point, or about using the router you have are incorrect your Virgin connection provides one direct connection to the Internet.

You need a router that doesn't have an inbuilt modem to share that one connection between a number of machines.

PCworld or Staples will have suitable routers, they are usually a bit cheaper than the ADSL versions.

EDIT Wessie gives a useful link with suitable devices.

thanks for all the replies :clap

in answer to one query, there are no spare slots on the cable modem at all - it's a tiny wee thing.

I'll work through the replies and the linky to more suitable routers :thumb2

Any one of these take your pick http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cable-wireless-routers/727_7087_70094_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html an adsl modem is useless to you because your on cable which is a different technology all together. The link supplied is for cable routers which is the correct technology. Virgin has already supplied the modem and you cant swap that out for anything else as it is part of their network. The above will plug into the cable modem and give you both wireless and Ethernet connectivity for however many PC's, laptops that you require as well as giving you an internal house network to connect everything together for say file sharing and the likes.

I've got a desktop PC hooked up the the interweb by (non wireless) cable modem (virgin media :blast ) via ethernet cable.

Again, I work for VM, so bias, etc.

I'm guessing what you've got there is an Ambit 250 (or 256) which is, as you say a cable modem only. What you would need to do is put between that and your computer a wireless router, of which there are many available as you can see from above.

Alternativly, if you're happy with your VM service and don't mind re-contracting, a quick word to the care people on 150 may get you a new wireless router. That will replace the cable modem and will be fully supported by VM.

Don't know what tier of service you're on, but depending on what you have you could end up with a netgear hub or super hub. The hub is actually a pretty good device (but only for the lower speeds, it can't do the higher ones), the super hub has had some issues but there's been a firmware release recently that has made it much better.

Back
Top Bottom