Versys 1000cc now confirmed

As a novice to bikes can anyone explain in simpleton terms why a twin is better than 4? other than twice as many bits required :nenau

I like the Versys concept and having ridden a Z1000SX the engine is going to be pretty good, as Kevin Ash confirms. The inline four with it's huge radiator is a pig to look at though.

I prefer the look of a twin, especially certain V twins. The most visually appealing bikes I saw at the NEC were the café racer Moto Guzzis. I don't want to own one though. Maybe a Stelvio or Norge as practical tourers.

I've owned a range of bikes over the years with 5 different engine configurations. Single cylinders, parallel twins, V fours, inline fours and the current boxer twin. All have their benefits and all have their weaknesses. For touring, I prefer the large capacity twins as you do not need to rev them so much and you make fewer gear changes, riding the torque. The 650cc single Honda Dominator was great for short distances and larking about. The 600cc inline four was quick but ultimatley dull and tiring to ride as it wanted a gear change every 2 seconds.

My 2p.

Define "better" :thumb2

I've never ridden a 4, just a twin, others have quoted they prefer twins over 4's and I wondered why this is?

I like the Versys concept and having ridden a Z1000SX the engine is going to be pretty good, as Kevin Ash confirms. The inline four with it's huge radiator is a pig to look at though.

I prefer the look of a twin, especially certain V twins. The most visually appealing bikes I saw at the NEC were the café racer Moto Guzzis. I don't want to own one though. Maybe a Stelvio or Norge as practical tourers.

I've owned a range of bikes over the years with 5 different engine configurations. Single cylinders, parallel twins, V fours, inline fours and the current boxer twin. All have their benefits and all have their weaknesses. For touring, I prefer the large capacity twins as you do not need to rev them so much and you make fewer gear changes, riding the torque. The 650cc single Honda Dominator was great for short distances and larking about. The 600cc inline four was quick but ultimatley dull and tiring to ride as it wanted a gear change every 2 seconds.

My 2p.

Thanks Wessie, thats the kind of thing I was wondering :thumb2

Differences of engine's:

Single's = Lumpy, lots of torque, can be great fun at low revs but very vibey higher up the rev range.

Twins= Punchy torque, most have great bottom end torque but then smooth out as the revs rise, parallel twins can get vibey again higher up, as can flat twins.

Triples = tend to have a good compromise between torquey twin and smooth four, sound great and pull all the way through.

Fours = smooth power low down, some not as torquey as twins but good mid range then more power further up the range. Can be called a bit bland as is very much like driving a car, it does the job well but sort of boring, yes there can be lot's of speed but that's not everything. V4's = sort of a mix of 2's 3's and 4's, can be lumpy'ish' at bottom end, smooth middle and lots of power at the top, normally a linear spread of power, power of a 4 but from a narrower engine.

Six's = Very Ssmmooottthhhh, silky engines from low rev's right to the top where they scream... lovely engines, think CBX's Z1300's :drool (The only ones I haven't owned :tears)

Hope that helps even though it's a very generalised viewpoint :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom