S10

I have had an S10 since the beginning of October last year. It is white and almost identical to the one MIKE R has just bought (apart from the luggage). I have only done 850 miles on it so far plus a couple of rides on demos. I absolutely love it. The bike has loads of character from the 270 degree cranked engine, giving it a sort of v twin pulsing feel.

The engine feels more than poweful enough for me. I have used it on the Sport and Touring settings and with/without traction control and have not found it lacking in any way. I came from a Tiger 1050 (stonking triple engine) and have had powerful bikes (blackbird, fjr etc) over the past 40yrs so I,m used to bigger bikes. Personally I wouldn't consider altering the ecu but of course everybody is different and I understand and respect that and, yes, I am getting older!:rob. For me, if I wanted more power, I would get another type of bike. I don't go touring but if I did and the bike was fully loaded then maybe I would need more power but I can't comment on that-maybe others can:nenau

I find the handling to be quick and flickable; the bike certainly disguises it's weight well. Sure it's a big lump to wheel around. The seat is very comfortable and the bike is very roomy for me ( 6ft 4 ) which was another big plus when deciding on the bike (Tiger 1050 felt cramped)

The bike seems very well put together with quality parts and nice spec as standard. there is one exception to this, in my opinion and that is the spokes which are not stainless and perhaps should be. My spokes are corroding already and I've only been out in the rain once (a particularly filthy day but little or no salt on the road, it being the start of November) The bike was washed off with a powerwash then I cleaned the spokes with wax polish. They are better but there is still some corrosion present.

My dealer (Keith Dixon, Accrington ) has agreed to replace them under warranty but this time make them stainless. (Yamaha have agreed to replace with O/E spokes and the dealer is very kindly making up the difference to provide stainless ones. Good,eh?)

Fuel consumption is excellent, giving me mid 50's or more if I take it easy!
Touring mode is good for relaxed cruising and Sport for more spirited riding

As you can tell, I am quite enamoured with this bike and this is not always the case with me having owned 60-70 bikes over the past 40 odd years.(Ask MIKE R, he's seen most of them!) I'm hoping that this one is a keeper and so is my long suffering wife but I have no hesitation in recommending this bike especially if you can get one at the bargain price that they are going for at the moment:thumb

One last thing, get one in white, they are definately the smartest and the fastest!!!

bigk

Some more farkles

Givi spots, not sure about position yet
TT heel plates
Remus Ti can, shite fit but sounds great
TT satnav mount

Hi Den,

Where did you get the spots from, please? My S10 arrives in a couple of weeks and I am getting properly excited about buying bling now. A stubby carbon exhaust cover should sort things out with the Remus, by the way. :thumb

Matt

Hi Den,

Where did you get the spots from, please? My S10 arrives in a couple of weeks and I am getting properly excited about buying bling now. A stubby carbon exhaust cover should sort things out with the Remus, by the way. :thumb

Yes stubby cover is on the cards :thumb2
Spots are Givi trekkers, very reasonable @ circa £130, i paid £139 on ebay then found them at retailers for £130 :blast typical.
I'll tell you if they are any good tomorrow as i am riding an hour south after work then back lanes home about 10pm 1st test run.

Bigk, glad you like your S10- I'm sure I will also.
I agree with you about the colour. Having said that though, I actually quite like the blue also, so I don't think I've lost out.
Of course it wouldn't be too difficult a job to change the colour at a later date!
Although the weight is higher than the 1200GS, it doesn't seem any harder to move around. In fact it seems physically smaller.
When I've saved up my pennies again, I'll see about replacing the spokes for stainless ones anyway. Central wheel is not far from me, so I'll give them a try.
ATB.

Nipples!

Hi Den, perhaps a silly question but do they also make the nipples (ooer missus:eek:) in stainless or are the originals left in situ?

Like the Kriega fork oil seal covers:thumb2. Are they easy to fit?

Also like the look of the Givi spots. I really rate Givi stuff. I have the Yamaha spots fitted because they were thrown into the deal. They work well. How did you get on with your spots last night and how did the Nick Sanders talk go? I am going to Keith Dixon's in Accrington tomorrow with MIKE R to see him.

Regards, Keith

Colours!!

Hi Wust, I had the choice of all four colours and nearly went for blue. It looks especially good with the two tone seat but when I saw the demo in white, it was the one for me.

When do you pick yours up? I bet you can't wait. You won't regret it.:thumb

Regards, Keith

Hello Keith, hope to pick up the bike later in the week.
As part of the deal, I'm having a gel insert fitted to the seat, which has taken a little longer than anticipated.
I've also decided to have the Yam heated grips fitted (to keep my old fingers warm), so I don't mind waiting a bit longer.
Even after all these years riding bikes, I still get all excited about the prospect of picking up a different bike!
John.

Hi Den, perhaps a silly question but do they also make the nipples (ooer missus:eek:) in stainless or are the originals left in situ?

Like the Kriega fork oil seal covers:thumb2. Are they easy to fit?

Also like the look of the Givi spots. I really rate Givi stuff. I have the Yamaha spots fitted because they were thrown into the deal. They work well. How did you get on with your spots last night and how did the Nick Sanders talk go? I am going to Keith Dixon's in Accrington tomorrow with MIKE R to see him.

Regards, Keith

Assume nipples are included mate, Givi spots work great, one gave me a great view of the tree tops too :D
Kriegas take 5 mins to fit and mr sanders is well worth the trip

Thanks Den, went to see Nick Sanders last night. He certainly is a character, probably certifiable in the nicest possible way! I think he missed his calling and should have been a comedian on stage! Well worth seeing him

Well i have had a go at the exhaust cover, not sure, paint is satin black maybe should have gone matt black. Didnt want to cut too much off as if i go for soft luggage could do without melting it.
Before/no shield/after mod and paint

Attachments

• DSCF8674.jpg
    DSCF8674.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF8675.jpg
    DSCF8675.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF8676.jpg
    DSCF8676.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 260

Back