weekend ride

(RIP) Kaister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted a screen at the weekend.

Got it from ebay - then i got some brackets from the states and then had to cut and drill the screen to fit,

looks pretty good in a non-bling sort of way. I left the trademark chrome horizontal strap off - can't see why you would need it.

Took it out for a blast along the pacific highway and scared my self shitless by trying to go at reasonably fast speeds.:eek:

let some air out of the rear shocks to get some semblance of damping back ( too much air = too much spring = reduced damping effect )

There is still a hinged-in-the middle effect at high cornering speeds though.

kept up with some sports bikes that weren't trying too hard :)

have a look at your rear tyre pressure.... i run at 44psi now and have just about removed that hinge in the middle feeling.... my glide is very sensitive to rear TP....

My Road King feels more rigid than my T110 hard tail chop from many years ago... I had forgotten what it was like to fear a pot hole again :D

I thought it was just a case of being spoiled after many years of luxury GS suspension travel.

Tried different pressures in the rear shocks but seems harsh no matter what I have them set to :nenau

I'm just about to buy one of these:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tourlink/index.html

for the very same reason. There are many different manufacturers producing a similar item. The problem is well known and documented on touring HDs. Although never admitted by Harley.
Have a look here:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout....wobble-tank-slap-also-known-death-wobble.html

This goes into it in more detail.
(Sorry my post was referring to Kaister's problem not Paul's – Paul snuck in there while I was deliberating over my gibberish)

and another thing...:rob.

Finding neutral at a standstill... :mad:

looks like its a common problem

http://www.sputhe.com/posi-neutral finder.htm

ah haaaa.... i thought that was me or a dodgy gear box!!!...... i've sussed it now as i pull in a little blip of the throttle and a gentle tap and done... when i first got "the thing" i spent ages going up and down the box!!.....

and another thing...:rob.

Finding neutral at a standstill... :mad:

looks like its a common problem

http://www.sputhe.com/posi-neutral finder.htm

If there was ever a product designed to fix a problem which doesn't exist this is it! But that's the Harley aftermarket industry all over :D

I've had about ten Harleys including an old Panhead and they all found neutral easily enough once you got used to them. Just as easily as any BMW boxer I've owned. My KTM 400EXC was one of the most difficult bikes to find it on - almost impossible at a standstill but a piece of piss to snick it in if you were moving slightly.

As far as handling on rubber mounted glides go I've never had the slightest handling problem with my 96 Roadking but I did have problems with my 91 FLHTC when towing a trailer at anything over 68mph :augie
I once had the trailer fishtailing dramatically all over the place going down the M25 :eek: I was in front with about 7/8 bikes behind me and they all scattered thinking the worst was about to happen - I got it under control and it didn't, thank God, as I had one of the kid's on the back, apart from anything else.

After the holiday I contacted Watsonian who had just sold me the trailer and they were straight on the case and came to pick it up. Great service and can't praise them enough.
When I got it back they had increased the toe-in slightly which improved it but there was still a problem at anything much over 60mph. Yes I know that's the legal limit :rob
I sold it soon after as we didn't need it for camping with the kids and could happily manage with luggage on two bikes.

The other handling issue with the bigger Glide (FLHTC) was a speed wobble/incipient tank slapper at over a ton which I eventually found was exacerbated by the aftermarket wind deflectors I'd fitted to the fork legs. I assume the extra loading placed on the forks by the increased wind resistance contributed to this.
Neither of these handling quirks were an issue at legal speeds :)
I'm pretty sure that one of these engine stabilisers that are now available and newer and better rear shocks would have sorted it out. The bike could feel a bit elastic when pressing on heavily laden. Just like my old R90/6 in fact :)

you'll have to share your secret then - seems 95% of big twins are nigh on impossible to get into neutral at a standstill.

i've tried everything so far - adjusted the clutch cable, the clutch pushrod, tightened the primary, rocked it back and fwds at a standstill etc etc

The only thing that works is getting in just before you stop - as soon as you stop you're fucked.

i think my 'box has bedded in now, too - 1400000 kms on it.:rob - i even put 'box moly in it to see if that helped - it didn't :(

you'll have to share your secret then - seems 95% of big twins are nigh on impossible to get into neutral at a standstill.

i've tried everything so far - adjusted the clutch cable, the clutch pushrod, tightened the primary, rocked it back and fwds at a standstill etc etc

The only thing that works is getting in just before you stop - as soon as you stop you're fucked.

i think my 'box has bedded in now, too - 1400000 kms on it.:rob - i even put 'box moly in it to see if that helped - it didn't :(

mines the same...88,000 miles and if you wait till you stop its a mare.... just before you stop though sweet as a nut..... i've learnt to pull up a little blip of throttle and into neutral.... bingo!

No secret, just never had a problem, at least no more than with any other bike I've ridden :confused:

Thinking about it I may have some technique I use unconsciously, like letting the clutch out a bit if it won't go straight in but I'm certainly not aware of it. I'll check it out when I ride it again next year...........

No secret, just never had a problem, at least no more than with any other bike I've ridden :confused:

Thinking about it I may have some technique I use unconsciously, like letting the clutch out a bit if it won't go straight in but I'm certainly not aware of it. I'll check it out when I ride it again next year...........

Next year!!!!:cool:

anyone got a page from a manual or similar that shows how the engine / swingarm / frame are all connected ?

i need to understand the concept before i can fix it.

Rod end bearings are very easy to source for minimal money :thumb2

anyone got a page from a manual or similar that shows how the engine / swingarm / frame are all connected ?

i need to understand the concept before i can fix it.

Rod end bearings are very easy to source for minimal money :thumb2

I'll see what I can find for you tomorrow. Pretty sure there are good diagrams in the workshop manual in the section on setting up the alignment. Could you pm your email address so I can scan and send what I find.

The Hinge in the middle of Glides

Well documented on the HDRCGB site and plenty of the guys in my region have minimised but not elimited it.

First check the recommended tyre pressures with the manufacturere (not HD as they clearly have no idea :blast ). They guys have found significant differences between what HD think and the tyre manufactureres think should be in there. It needs checking frequently as well.

Second there is a rubber bush on both sides of the swing arm mounting. It's relatively straight forward to replace but it's a big influence on the handling. There's no rhyme or reason to the speed of wear either, so if you have a death weave it's worth checking. The HD dealer in Jersey will supply VAT free if you are a member of the club but they seemed quite pricey when we replaced one set (£100? :eek ).

As for the gearbox - I've never had an issue :nenau

Back
Top Bottom