Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Four days - Dijon/Cote d'Or/Beaune -1 June - 5 June 2012

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by yamonda1 View Post
    A WW is on my Bucket List ....
    China is on mine .... If Ting Tong would pull his finger out

Quote Originally Posted by APW View Post
    Im a clueless 660 user.
    took me ages last night just to figure out how to get my maps updated so an sd card or laptop to share the route would be nice

Andy
    Consider it all but done

Here we go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/FIN...une%202012.gdb

I have added three alternative routes down from our first night's hotel to our second. They are titled (somewhat unimaginatively) Alt 1, Alt 2 and, wait for it...... Alt 3.

Alt 1 misses out the motorway completely.

Alt's 2 and 3 bring in a chunk of motorway to either the St Pol junction (a town I was very nearly killed leaving) or down a bit further to the St Quentin junction.

All three alternatives are similar in length, all close on 300 miles. So it's fair old schlep whichever way we go. The motorway chunks simply speed the whole day's overall average riding speed up, that's all. The motorway bit is not too oppressive (we will be using it on the way back, anyway) but the country roads are more fun, of course.

Of the three I favour alternative one. But at 300 miles (on D and N roads) means we should aim to get wheels rolling at 09:00 latest on Saturday morning. We should then have enough spare time for a mid-morning coffee stop for say 30 minutes, lunch and a break in the afternoon somewhere for another 30 or so and still make the hotel in reasonable order. That way we can break the day (and the overeall distance) up reasonably well. Lunch and drink stops we will have to find on the hoof somewhere..... I'm sure summat should turn up.... sometimes it doesn't

Let's see how the day looks on Saturday morning.

The day on Sunday is less far at just under 200 miles. It's down into the Morvan region (one of the nicest but overlooked) areas for motorbiking in France. It's hilly and wooded, with some bends that can catch you out! So whilst shorter, it's slower, meaning a decent timed start is best. The end of the day brings us from the Morvan across into the Cote d'Or to our hotel for the next two nights. No motorways and few real major roads..... no cart tracks either, I hope.

Monday, is shorter at about 150 miles, riding some good roads in the Cote d'Or, in what is near enough an up-down-up-down direction. A sort of 'M' shape if you like. Again, no motorways and little to no major roads.

Tuesday, it's back to home. All say, 'Booooo!'. This is 350 miles, but the last chunk is on the motorway from St Quentin anyway. So it needn't be a balls out thrash, if we can get going at a decent time in the morning.

I think that is everything now. Just remember to fill up before getting on the train, please. Oh, that and your passport, driving licence, motor cover note, V5........ and (preferably) some travel / breakdown insurance, so that bods can then help us to help you, if the wheels really do come off I will bring a basic tool kit, puncture repair gubbins, a compressor and that sort of malarkey, so don't go and buy some (unless you really want to).

Any questions, ping 'em up or PM me.... See you all at the passenger waiting 'experience' thing

Richard

PS Will PM you all my mobile no. Any problems on the day, let's stay in touch by text or whatever.

Weekend forcasts for Dijon area risen by three degrees this morning

Bluetooth lid not compatible with newish I phone.

[QUOTE=paintman;3102007]Weekend forcasts for Dijon area risen by three degrees this morning

I predict rain....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Dijon-FRXX0036

[QUOTE=jc_bromley;3102423]
    Quote Originally Posted by paintman View Post

I predict rain....

Ah well, into each life and all that. Look forward to meeting everyone on Friday.

[QUOTE=jc_bromley;3102423]
    Quote Originally Posted by paintman View Post

I predict rain....

Chance of rain on the Sunday has reduced by 30%...happy days!!!

Richard and your Wanderers have a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
    Richard and your Wanderers have a great trip
    Cheers, Kev.

Hope to see you sometime soonish?

Richard

Richard,

To echo Kev's sentiment - have a safe and enjoyable journey. Me and the venerable Mrs Brenchleyhibs hope to join you on an autumn wander.

Maybe time for another beer (or low calorie soda water) in London sometime?

Cheers,
    Andy

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Thumbs up

Just back home after 1250 excelent miles in great company

Well done Richard, yet another success, even if 2 did go through the wrong peage exit and ended up on the way to Boulogne

Neil

Well done Richard, yet another success, even if 2 did go through the wrong peage exit and ended up on the way to Boulogne

"Calais" "Boulogne" Easy to get them babies mixed up....

I wonder if either of them are home yet....no names, no pack drill...Paintman, you should no better!!!!

A great weekend thanks chaps, Richard, ta for all your hard work, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say it's appreciated!

Hope to catch up with you all in the future,

John

Home safe at 20.15 if a tad damp, many thanks to Richard for organizing a entertaining and enjoyable weekend with some fine company.

"Calais" "Boulogne" Easy to get them babies mixed up....

I wonder if either of them are home yet....no names, no pack drill...Paintman, you should no better!!!!
    Boulogne ? Sorry no time for sightseeing, it was a little secret short cut that shaved 15 Min's off the journey and put us on an earlier train.

John.

Boulogne ? Sorry no time for sightseeing, it was a little secret short cut that shaved 15 Min's off the journey and put us on an earlier train.

John.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see photographic evidence of that....

A fun Wander, I thought. My thanks to all who came along to ride some of the great roads on the eastern side of central France. My particular thanks to Terry and Andy - who both came a long way before even hitting the train at Folkestone - Terry from the west Midlands and Andy from lands beyond the reaches of my shandy drinking southerner's maps.

The four-day format, with a reasonably early 09:00 start each day seemed to work OK, with the 08:30 start on the last day getting us to the train in good order without busting a gut. Starting the first full day off in France certainly helped, enabling us to avoid any motorways and still get to our second night's hotel in reasonably good shape after a 270 mile day. I hope that starting off in France helps those Wanderers like Andy and Terry who have a fair old schlep to make just to get to the south east coast, too.

My thanks too to all and everyone for mucking in with leader and tail-end-Charlie duties. We certainly kept up a good pace throughout the jaunt, which makes things so much easier and fun for everyone.

I have tidied up the track log, correcting a handful of small glitches in what was over a thousand miles of French riding. I will post the final-final version in this thread in case anyone ever wants to recreate it. The hotels were fine I thought, though anyone who might want to use them may well be advised to book ahead as all three were FULL when we used them. That being said, there is plenty of choice in the region, so a bit of mix'n'match would should enable anyone with a larger group (we had six rooms) to find suitable accommodation in one of the larger towns or even in Dijon itself.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jc_bromley View Post

John.
    I'd like to see photographic evidence of that....[/QUOTE]

Dear oh dear as someone who refers to himself as J.C. I cant help but wonder if you have a deficiency in your skill set, surely doubting the word of a fellow wanderer is not very "Christian"

Anyway here you go, an earlier train.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast