Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders - 'Beginners' weekend 28/29 April - DEFINITE DATE

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Wapping's Wanders - 'Beginners' weekend 28/29 April - DEFINITE DATE

'Beginners' weekend

Please don't be put off by the title or some tosser (with a small t) taking the pee. Everyone had to start somewhere and you'd be surprised at how many PM's I receive expressing an interest in something similar and / or looking for advice. Several 'Wanderers' started out on the earlier 'Beginners' days (it's now grown into two days somehow) and are now wandering all over the place.

But, enough already..... Here's the deal:

Out: Saturday 28 April

Back: Sunday 29 April

Train out: 07:50 departure

Train back: 17:20 departure

I have bought my ticket £28 return, all in.

Where are we going: No definite plan yet, only as I am waiting for a couple of hotels to reply. I am hoping it will be a private / family hotel type o'thing. As soon as I know, you'll know too.

How far: I would guess at about 200 to 250 miles a day, some of which will be on a motorway. Let's guess at not more than 500 over the weekend in France. As we lose an hour simply crossing over I may well shove the motorway segment (it won't be miles and miles and miles) on day one, just to buy back some time. On the return leg we could think about cracking off reasonably smartish and do a longer run on some lesser roads. Let's see what the weather is like on the day, too.

Suitable for: Anyone who has never ridden abroad or anyone who just wants to have a trial run with a novice pillion..... old hands welcome too, but first call to 'beginners', if that's OK. It will bring in just about every type of road you may come across (motorways, National (N) and Departmental (D) roads, towns and villages)..... maybe the odd farm road too, if we get a diversion...... but nothing deliberately 'off-road' and nothing that I would not ride on my HP2 Sport, I promise.

Navigation: I will create Garmin Mapsource routes and we'll use the marker 'drop off' system. Don't worry if you don't know what it is. Lots of bods do.... and still get lost. Seriously, we will run thro' it before we set off in France.

Numbers: Let's say eight bikes in all, subject to me getting enough rooms. I will add a ninth if an 'old hand' wants to volunteer for a bit of tail gunner duty.

Richard

PS I will be offering the same jaunt on another (smaller) forum. If we get over subscription I will run another one, probably in September.

One slot gone, rider and pillion..... Tailend Charlie and his lady pillion, so that slot is gone.

It's my chum Phil along with Louise, known to some past Wanderers.... Phil, that is, not Louise.....

Seven slots spare for 'Beginners'....

PS If anyone wants to know about going (reasonably safely) quick, Phil's worth a chat to

HOTEL CONFIRMED - All systems go!

The hotel has confirmed my provisional reservation for April next year.

We will be going to Bouillon in Belgium via France, so a two county jaunt into the bargain.

Why Bouillon?

(1) It is exactly the right distance away. Not too far, not too close.

(2) It can be reached using exactly the cross-section of roads I had hoped to use.

(3) The journey back, where we save an hour, can be extended.

(4) If it really pees down, it is possible to escape back from the hotel to Calais on the motorway.

(5) We have used the hotel (and routes) on several Wanders before. The hotel has good parking, the owners are friendly (please don't upset them, I want to go back) and there is a reasonably priced 'Pizza type' restaurant / bar just around the corner. I will definitely book us a table as it is sometimes a problem getting a sitting.

(6) I know it should all work, which is a plus......

Richard

PS I have hacked a provisional route in Google to give bods an idea.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...,6,7,8&t=m&z=8

Fancy this trip, if there aren't enough beginners then put me +1 pillion to make up the numbers Richard,

Cheers
    Evil C

Relative numpty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburt View Post
    Fancy this trip, if there aren't enough beginners then put me +1 pillion to make up the numbers Richard,

Cheers
    Same here - sounds like a good trip. Not a beginner, so if there are any spaces left once all the beginners have signed up that want to go, I'm in. Happy to tail end if needed, garmin sat-nav'ed up.

'Beginners'

Wapping
    One tail-ender (Phil & pillion)
    nharrild (Neill)

Five or six bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
    bakerlonglegs
    dxtans & pillion

Can I book 2 places please.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
    Can I book 2 places please.
    You are in

'Beginners'

Wapping
    nharrild (Neill)
    Duchess 1
    Duchess 2

Three or four bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
    bakerlonglegs
    dxtans & pillion

Richard,
    If you don't get enough beginers slot me in!!

Thanks Kev

Put me down please thats if there is a spare place. will be riding solo wife having her hair and nails done will be 1st time riding over seas.

'Beginners'

Wapping
    nharrild (Neill)
    Duchess 1
    Duchess 2
    agent2494
    Paula H (pooh)

Now only one or two bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
    bakerlonglegs
    dxtans & pillion
    Kev B

Quote Originally Posted by agent2494 View Post
    Put me down please thats if there is a spare place. will be riding solo wife having her hair and nails done
    You are in.....

You must be mad, not staying at home.....

:very tidy

Ah ... Bouillon ... What a lovely place

Is there another Royal Wedding I didn't hear about?

Have a great trip! Loved it this year.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Wapping can you just confirm that its the chunnel and it leaving time as its say 08.00!!!!

Cheers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast