Seeing in the Dark

R Savage

Does anyone agree with me that the lights on the 1150GS are atrocious, if not dangerous?

I have just returned from my first trip away from the bright lights of Kent. We went to the Yorkshires Dales for a long weekend. Lovely empty roads and bitingly cold days.

But, returning to the cottage in the dark was a nightmare. Taking corners at a speed that required leaning was an absolute no-no. The useless apology for main beam provides absolutely no spread of light. So when leaning over I was riding into total darkness. This is only natural as it is a pencil beam unit and projects a narrow, long-ish beam. Left bends were less bad than right handers as the upsweep from dip beam cast a glow into the corner, but still not reassuring.

Has anyone solved this, presumably by fitting additional lights? I have previously looked at Touratech’s add-on lamp at Bracken, but it’s too expensive and appears to be a pencil beam as well.

These are, without doubt, the worst lights I have ever encountered on a bike.
:mad:

Cheers Richard

Light solution

Richard,

I down loaded a good article on a DIY fix for the problem. All instructions were clear. I have it at home. Email me and I will give you the URL, that is if I do not place it hear first.

:beer:

Let there be light!!

I agree with you Richard they are next to useless! After a really bad trip round the Cornish lanes in the dark i decided to do something about it. So i fitted a couple of small spots to a bar and mounted it under the beak and hey presto i can see in the dark and all for around £35. They're a real god-send cos i live out in the sticks, i now enjoy thrashing around at night as i can now light up the whole road. i've put all the diagrams on one of my sites incase anyone else wanted to have a go at a bit of DIY. http://www.fromebikebreakers.co.uk/lee/auxlights.htm

Give it a go, it makes such a difference.

All the best.

lee.

GS Light Mod

http://www.gsclubuk.com/gsmisc/auxlights/auxlights.htm

This is an easy to follow mod.:beer:

PIAA

Thanks Lee and Mike for the lighting information.

I have also asked PIAA what their solution would be. I'll post a summary here when I get their answer.

Ta Richard

Hi All

I think the R11GS has fairly crap lights, as well, so I did likewise and fitted a pair of cheap spots to a bar under the beak.

Differences -
Relay and fuse holder mounted in the fusebox with the rest of the electrical gubbins
Mounting bar is a piece of DIN rail, normally used for mounting electrical components in enclosures - Cadmium plated, light, stiff, but sufficiently flexible to bend in a spill, to avoid damage to the oil cooler.

Results - excellent! Throws a huge amount of light up the road, with adjustability to get the right beam pattern for both sides when leant over.

Small disadvantage - the dip beam now seems very dim, even with a super-bright/super-white bulb in ( Thanks Greg).

I will post some piccies shortly - those of you who were at the Caterham do may have already seen my "fairy lights", as some unkind wag christened them.

Regards

Peter:):cool:

OK, folks - herewith the piccies.
Spots are Ring Blue Spots in black - alloy casings, black anodised, 55w H3 bulbs, £39.99 at Halfords.
Mounting is standard Top-Hat section DIN rail, available from RS, Maplins or suitable scrounging source.
Mounted on the M5 Socket-cap screws under the beak, securing the beak to the oil cooler frame - need slightly longer screws and a spacing washer to fill the gap between the GRP and the rail. The self-tapping screws into the GRP which secure the side trims were also replaced with longer items - all obvious stuff.:rolleyes:

pn1.jpg

pn2.jpg

I am about to commence this modification tomorrow. I will post picsa when I can.

:beer:

I used the same wiring procedure but decided to weld a couple of mounts on the crash bars and fitted the aux lights there. Also changed the bulbs for 100 watt by uprating the fusing and cable size. I have a set of the ring lamps as shown above complete with homemade mounting bar if anybody is interested

Attachments

• gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 387
Nice job:cool:

How did you weld the mounts on? TIG/gas/arc? I would have thought you might compromise the strength of the crash bars if they got too hot.:confused:

Regards

Peter

lights

Hi all
I also fitted my lights on my crash bars same position as Gazza, but used ' O ' clamp not welded also fitted fog lamps not driving lights as I thought they gave a better spread of light in the void or dark area .

regards Stewart H:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom