The Dolomites and more

Good jaunt :thumb2

Needless to say, the actual route planning is taking a little longer than planned, but I visited that wonderful maps emporium, Stanfords, on Friday, and now have an armful of Michelin paper maps to supplement my Basecamp/Mapsource efforts. I intend to use a mixture of a) my own routes from previous journeys, b) plagiarised routes from others here, c) research, and d) pot luck :D I will post route files/jpgs here as and when.

The Mapsman fellow has a good selection: http://www.mapsman.com/ and is very helpful, too.

Re room

Due to my snoring at a level that can shake a room I request a single room unless a fellow snorer wishes to compete in same room for the grand decibel world series.:eek: This noise level is only made worse by alcohol so good job this is a tee total group::D.
John

Due to my snoring at a level that can shake a room I request a single room unless a fellow snorer wishes to compete in same room for the grand decibel world series.:eek: This noise level is only made worse by alcohol so good job this is a tee total group::D.
John

I'm the current World Title Holder - hence my penchant for single gentlemen's accommodation. :augie

Mark

Looks like a great trip Mark, but planning on going to Norway next year, fancy a detour ?

:beerjug:

Hypothetically, I'm happy to share a room with some random person off the internet that I've never met - I've done similar before and gone on a few cheap deals with MCi making up the numbers with a Billy No Mates.

There are a couple of things any potential room sharer would have to bear in mind. I snore like a bastard and I'm a poof. So, you'd need to match me up with a deaf person who has no insecurities about their sexuality. Or I'll take a single room.

Hypothetically, I'm happy to share a room with some random person off the internet that I've never met - I've done similar before and gone on a few cheap deals with MCi making up the numbers with a Billy No Mates.

There are a couple of things any potential room sharer would have to bear in mind. I snore like a bastard and I'm a poof. So, you'd need to match me up with a deaf person who has no insecurities about their sexuality. Or I'll take a single room.

PM Sent ! :eek:

:D

Day 1

May I suggest somewhere in the Black Forest, near Strasbourg direction ( I have 2 hotel suggestions) about 350miles from Calais or Zeebrugge and thus the need to avoid Switzerland (tolls, expensive food etc)

Day 2 - then cut down from the Black Forest, nice roads in the Ravensburg direction then down skirting Bregenz and down a fairly scenic Austrian m/way to Innsbruck and then over the Brenner, taking the old road from the summit and drop into the Dolomites near Bressanone - easiliy done 9.30-5pm and about 350 miles

Easiest way to get down or back in just 2 days

Fantastic response, thanks!

...and no-one spotted my earlier faux pas, a bastardisation of Belzano and Bormio - Bolmio, that well-known Dolomites town...:blast

I meant Bolzano, but got a bit excited...

I did but saw no reason to nit pick, you're doing a grand job so far:thumb2
A group of us got to Bolzano on a previous trip, we had done the Stelvio and were heading south-away from the ensuing rain clouds, it was a great ride :thumb2

This noise level is only made worse by alcohol so good job this is a tee total group::D.
John

Our evenings of teetotal-ism and poetry recitals followed by bouts of quiet contemplation are legendary :beer:

Made me chuckle :D

Day 1

May I suggest somewhere in the Black Forest, near Strasbourg direction about 350 from Calais or Zeebrugge and thus the need to avoid Switzerland (tolls, expensive food etc)

Day 2 - then cut down from the Black Forest, nice roads in the Ravensburg direction then down skirting Bregenz and down a fairly scenic Austrian m/way to Innsbruck and then over the Brenner, taken the old road from the summit and drop into the Dolomites near Bressanone - easili done 9.30-5pm and about 350 miles

Easiest way to get down or back

Great suggestion, I was hoping you would chime in with your extensive local knowledge :thumb2

Day 1

May I suggest somewhere in the Black Forest, near Strasbourg direction about 350 from Calais or Zeebrugge and thus the need to avoid Switzerland (tolls, expensive food etc)

Day 2 - then cut down from the Black Forest, nice roads in the Ravensburg direction then down skirting Bregenz and down a fairly scenic Austrian m/way to Innsbruck and then over the Brenner, taken the old road from the summit and drop into the Dolomites near Bressanone - easili done 9.30-5pm and about 350 miles

Easiest way to get down or back

FFS don't dont let Joybringer anywhere near the B500 or you'll never see him again !

Day 1

May I suggest somewhere in the Black Forest, near Strasbourg direction ( I have 2 hotel suggestions) about 350miles from Calais or Zeebrugge and thus the need to avoid Switzerland (tolls, expensive food etc)

Day 2 - then cut down from the Black Forest, nice roads in the Ravensburg direction then down skirting Bregenz and down a fairly scenic Austrian m/way to Innsbruck and then over the Brenner, taking the old road from the summit and drop into the Dolomites near Bressanone - easiliy done 9.30-5pm and about 350 miles

Easiest way to get down or back in just 2 days

This is the route I would take as I haven't done the Brenner yet. The Timmelsjoch was too tempting on the 2 occasions I was travelling that direction.

My suggestion would be for everyone to rendezvous at the Rhine crossing point hotel near Strasbourg or wherever, so that people can take different ferry options. As I am 260 miles from Dover or 160 miles from Pompey my preferred option would be overnight from Portsmouth to Le Havre (£60 credit note in my account due to a cancellation last year) or maybe a Chunnel the night before and bomb down to the Laon Premiere Classe. The latter would cost me an extra day in leave but would facilitate some time in the lumpy bits south of Metz before heading to the Rhine.

This is the route I would take as I haven't done the Brenner yet. The Timmelsjoch was too tempting on the 2 occasions I was travelling that direction.

My suggestion would be for everyone to rendezvous at the Rhine crossing point hotel near Strasbourg or wherever, so that people can take different ferry options. As I am 260 miles from Dover or 160 miles from Pompey my preferred option would be overnight from Portsmouth to Le Havre (£60 credit note in my account due to a cancellation last year) or maybe a Chunnel the night before and bomb down to the Laon Premiere Classe. The latter would cost me an extra day in leave but would facilitate some time in the lumpy bits south of Metz before heading to the Rhine.

Agreed - Strasbourg or Freiburg on the Rhine basin, are a natural crossing points and we could do one or the other - out and return

Brenner and Timmelsjoch are easily incorporated, I did the Brenner on the way back and Timmelsjoch on the way out

i intend bringing the missus with me, so i thought i might share with her. i don't adapt to change easily.

like the idea of meeting up down south some way. i also like the portsmouth overnight ferry, as i gives me a whole day on the road, and an excuse for a small glass of sherry or two before bed.

I prefer no to share if possible.
If not you will suffer Spanish snooring :bounce1

Garmich on route ?

What about planning a couple of days at the BMW gig at Garmich usually first weekend in July . Maybe Friday and Saturday then continue with the trip ?. Just a thought.
John.

What about planning a couple of days at the BMW gig at Garmich usually first weekend in July . Maybe Friday and Saturday then continue with the trip ?. Just a thought.
John.

I rather go to Italy :)

John.

Well, personally speaking, I don't really do 'rallies', but if anyone wants to divert and meet up later, that's fine with me, but I'm hoping my little excursions may sway you :thumb

Things have been a bit slow in terms of my updates :toungincheek, mainly due to BT's lack of efficient technical support for fibre optic broadband - but don't get me started...!

Off to the NEC tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get some routes - or at least descriptions of said routes - up here at some point on Sunday :D

Off to the NEC tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get some routes - or at least descriptions of said routes - up here at some point on Sunday :D

Go speak to Charlie from the http://www.motorrad-hotel.com/en.html group - they've recruited another hotel into the group, Hotel Condor, in St. Vigil in Enneberg near Brunico that looks nice (better than the Enzian, Johnny!) plus the Gran Paradiso. He's on stand E(twentysomething) near MCi & a bunch of other travel firms, sandwiched between Yamaha & the off road section. Make sure he gives you a drink of schnapps. From 70 euros per person half board seems reasonable for Italy.

Back
Top Bottom