Two stroke winter project

Last year i looked at a 250 E , the guy wanted £250 for it and i wouldn"t go over £230 .I think i need a kick in the balls .how daft was i :blast

Yes you absolutely do!
I paid more than three times that for my LC :eek:

I"ve just bought a Rd 250 B 1975 ,cant wait to get a run out in the good weather
I'd like to see than too, I hd a RD350b back in the day, great machine!

Another thread maybe?

My 250 b and my little XT
DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024-2.jpg

DSCF0022-4.jpg

DSCF0016-8-1.jpg

Fair play Spen they a couple of lovely bikes you have there,

The XT is particularly lovely, That's the standard that I'd like to get my LC to.

The more I look at it, the more work I see!

The strip down starts tonight in ernest:thumb

You have the makings of a nice bike ,remember its for fun and you"ve all winter . :beerjug:

You have the makings of a nice bike ,remember its for fun and you"ve all winter . :beerjug:

It'll certainly keep me occupied that's for sure. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in.

Tick To tick tock. I'll be making a start in an hour or two!

one thing i would do , is take a digital camera out and take loads of pics ,you"ll not be stuck when your rebuilding :blast

Well I've just come back down from the workshop :D

A fairly successful evening of disassembly, I now have a box of bits to go off to powder coat, just odds and ends, a bracket here and a bracket there etc

The bike complete but with all the scabby bodywork removed

IMG_1464 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The back end partially out

IMG_1470 by tunneruk, on Flickr

And we're there ..

IMG_1474 by tunneruk, on Flickr

It's been a long time to since I've seen a chain like this ...... No 'O' rings and a conventional link. Ahhhhh.......... aint it cute!

IMG_1472 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The bike had come down really easily, there have been so seized bolts or rounded heads, The R/H exhaust fixing situation where it met the cylinder was ..... arm ...... creative :eek

IMG_1468 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Probably the worst bit about the bike so far is the wiring, it's been cut and shut all over the place, I'm in two minds whether to carefully repair it or replace the whole loom, it's £100 I've not budgeted for .......... We'll see.

IMG_1476 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I've left the engine in for tonight, I need to tidy up the bench before I do any more, it looks like a jumble sale table at the moment.
The engine both sounds well and seems in decent order, I'll be interested to take the head off, measure the barrels and generally have a poke about.....

IMG_1485 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I'm not 100% sure what the situation is with this fabricated plate, I will do some research after I've written this post...

IMG_1483 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Here she is all finished for tonight ........ Engine out tomorrow!

IMG_1478 by tunneruk, on Flickr

As I was about to lock up I turned to look back one last time .............. "I wonder what it's like in there I thought" I couldn't resist picking up a phillips and having a peek ........... I'm sure a mouse has lived in here at some point, I'm convinced I'll find him asleep in one of the throttle bodies tomorrow!

IMG_1480 by tunneruk, on Flickr

It is clear that the frame has been powder coated at some point and my guess is that it wasn't long before the bike came off the road in 2003, it's in absolutely lovely condition, all I'll need to do is give it a wipe over. All the fixings into the frame are bright and nicely greased, the whole bike has got a 'recently put back together' feel to it although it's also obvious that it's not been touched for many years.

What a great evening I've had:D

quote ''I'm not 100% sure what the situation is with this fabricated plate, I will do some research after I've written this post...''

Looks like the usual/common problem, of the chain coming off and taking a chunk out of the crankcase, he's probably made a plate up, as the bits gone missing or he couldn't repair it? Might still be there with luck??

I think I read an engine/frame starting 00xxxx etc was a 1980 build, does it have tie bars supporting the engine underneath? Could be one of the early ones.

quote ''I'm not 100% sure what the situation is with this fabricated plate, I will do some research after I've written this post...''

Looks like the usual/common problem, of the chain coming off and taking a chunk out of the crankcase, he's probably made a plate up, as the bits gone missing or he couldn't repair it? Might still be there with luck??

I think I read an engine/frame starting 00xxxx etc was a 1980 build, does it have tie bars supporting the engine underneath? Could be one of the early ones.

Well it is an '00' prefixed frame and engine number ...... I'll have a look for the tie bars later on, I don't know if being an earlier one is better or worse?

I see what you mean about the plate covering a clusterfuck beneath, looking at it again your explanation certainly makes sense.

All will become clear soon, if I don't get the engine out this week then it will certainly be on the bench at the weekend!

If I remember rightly the tie bars under the engine were introduced to reduce vibration and solve the problem of exhausts cracking on the earlier models.

I've just got home from work to find not one but TWO bikes of parts!!!

I love restoration!!

So ..... Last Night...

I had a good old clear up in the workshop and set about removing the engine from the frame, pretty straight forward really and provided no real challenges. It's nice that the frame is now light enough to hang on the wall out of the way while I work on other things

IMG_1489 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The engine itself looks ok, there's nothing too hideous to do, just lots of stripping, cleaning, prepping, painting, checking, fitting and assembly.

IMG_1491 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1493 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The cylinder bolts seemed quite emotionally attached to the cylinders, they really didn't want to come out. It took me about an hour to get all eight out. With hindsight I would have cracked them off before I took the engine out, I found myself with the engine on the floor between my knees trying to stop the bugger spinning as I got to work with the big bar! Eventually i won and off came the head ........

IMG_1495 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I'm really pleased with what I've found so far, Looking at the squishes the engine has been running sweetly, not too black, not to light. There's no coke build up anywhere. The only work I'll do is replace the small end bearings and fit a fresh set of rings.

IMG_1497 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The cylinders are measuring .50mm oversize. These 250LC barrels can go out to +2mm so they're far from the end of their life. The pistons don't look very old at all and the bores are flawless.

IMG_1511 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1498 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I've removed both the outer cases, both of which I'm going to paint. There were no horrors inside and not a single sign of wear anywhere, it's tight as a drum.

IMG_1507 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1502 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1509 by tunneruk, on Flickr

My only real work is to fabricate a new replacement part for the heath robinson cover that had been made to cover the broken chain guard at the back of the casing. The cable wall clip that you can see was being used as a rawl plug:blast
After I've cleaned the main casing up I'll sort something out...

IMG_1499 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1500 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_1501 by tunneruk, on Flickr

So here it all is, waiting for the hard work to start! Roll on the weekend!

IMG_1505 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Looking good ,i like the pics keep up the good work :beerjug:

Thanks for taking the time to show everything that you have found. Looking forward to seeing how matters progress:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom