Two stroke winter project

Hmm... (puts brain back into club racing around 1990 mode)

Is that an Auto 66 meeting at langbaurgh?

And... therefore... (just going by the Dainese Leathers and ZXR reference) are you Rob Morton?

Guilty as charged;)

That's exactly what my original estimate was. True to form with these things the old saying 'take what you think you're going to spend and double it was oh so true!
I've spent about £1500 on it!

I bought a brand new one on a 'W' plate in 1981 for £1100! :) And pretty much immediately crashed it. Twice.... Bit more power than the RD50!:rob

I bought a brand new one on a 'W' plate in 1981 for £1100! :) And pretty much immediately crashed it. Twice.... Bit more power than the RD50!:rob

I've only ridden it 1.7 miles so that's a very real possibility for me too ............ especially as I rebuilt the Caliper and master cylinder which are practically untested!

I've only ridden it 1.7 miles so that's a very real possibility for me too ............ especially as I rebuilt the Caliper and master cylinder which are practically untested!

You though will probably have the benefit of knowing what happens if you try to brake and corner at the same time..... I didn't but I did find out :blast

So ........ A bit of an update.

I finished the bike back in February and that was pretty much that, I've had quite an eventful year including 2x house moves, one of which to another county. I have l quit my job and am in the process of setting up my own business (More of that in a new thread I'm sure)

Anyhow, I last rode the bike back in July, just a quick 30 miles or so over the North Downs.
On the way back I noticed a rattling noise developing, not a knock but a rattle, the bike ran fine, once home I had a poke about and discovered a cracked flywheel, nice simple easy fix ............. so I thought :mad:

To cut a very long and very frustrating story short, I could not get the flywheel off of the end of the crank, I tried everything ....... and I mean EVERYTHING!

So, on Tuesday I removed the engine and began the careful process of removing the crank in order that I can remove (What now remains of) the flywheel.
You may remember that I'd not split the cases during the restoration as the bottom end was tight as a drum, dismantling the engine proved this to be true as it's in absolutely lovely condition, in every story there is of course an exception, purely by chance I have discovered a crack in one of the pistons, it's merely a crack and has caused no other damage.
I did manage to remove the flywheel at last so that's a weight off my mind.

I have now ordered a pair of brand new pistons, full set of bearings, complete oil seal and gasket set and all respective tab washers etc. No point messing about eh, especially as the cases are now split!
I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can start reassembling the engine and get the old girl up and running again ...... I'm now under a deadline to get the bike back on the road by the W/C 3rd December.

Here's a couple of photo's

Near side rear by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2856 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2858 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2859 by tunneruk, on Flickr

What a great rebuild , are you realy going to sell it. I so , what are you looking for? Im certainly interested please pm me
Steve

What a great rebuild , are you realy going to sell it. I so , what are you looking for? Im certainly interested please pm me
Steve

I'm pretty sure I PM'd you Steve but have cleared my messages since then.
If not then let me know :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom