Thread: Malaysia

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Malaysia

I met Simon and Lisa when I was on my own trip riding around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia with another GSA riding friend. We met them at Riders' croner, a cafe owned by another Brit smack in the middle of Chiangmai.

On our way back to Malaysia we met them at Bangkok where we stayed for an overnight stay. Spoke about their trip, very impressed by their wisdom about overlanding on a motorcycle, of their hard times and how they never expect nor recieve any assistance, financial or otherwise from the many good people that they met.

Suitably impressed, we told them Malaysia will be different, and we want them to have a memorable stay in our country. Ivan, my riding buddy offered to provide accomodation at their condo when they arrived.

We RVed with them in the Thai bordertown of Betong, about 4 hours North of Kuala Lumpur. We organised a group of about 10 bikes to welcome them into Kuala Lumpur.

29th May. Simon and Lisa at the Thai/Malaysia Border after exiting Thailand.

We met them at Chiangmai, again at Bangkok. This time we decided to ambush them at Betong. We all rode into Malaysia together.

The small impromptu welcoming commitee at Gerik, Malaysia.

2RIDETHEWORLD on Malaysian A Roads.

Passing the city of Ipoh, population 1 Million, on the right, and Karst scenery on the left.

On arrival Kuala Lumpur, they checked into Ivan's home, where they stayed for more than two weeks.

Within a week of their arrival, I called up my contacts at the Premier TV Station and arranged for them to appear in a Breakfast Show.

Behind the scene

How it came out. I drove them around for quite a bit to ensure they get good coverage, even meeting with the production crew prior to broadcast,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLD2...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5eBm...layer_embedded

After that we all got together and organised a surprise birthday party for Lisa. One of our friends even presented Lisa with a Canon G11. Needless to sa we all had a good time.

As they need to raise some money ( so far living in Malaysia easy, free board and lodging, transportation, food is mostly free ) for their onwards journey, we sat down and arranged for them to have their slideshow event, which they hope to charge some money for it.
    We identified a few places, one being TWG, a bike shop owned by an overlander and to raise money, I funded the printing of some TSHirts for them to sell at the event.

Another event was also arranged at Auto Bavaria, the premier BMW showroom.

First presentation had an attentive audience of 80. There was also a ceremony where "Iron Butt" certificates given out by Simon to six riders of the Malaysian Endurance Riding team who rode 1884kms in 24 hours in mostly heavy rain. The Certificates were issued by the Malaysian Book of Records.

Venue for "Dusty Road of Freedom" Presentation, Two Wheel Garage, a Premium bike shop for overlanders.
    Event organised via contribution from a few bikers ; they provided the Tents, F&B, PA System as well as their valuable time.

Goh and Sam rode all the way from Singapore on their Africa Twin. They also did their overlanding on their own cost, without much fanfare.....

Autographs......real celebraties.....

The crowd

Since the time we met them in Thailand, both Ivan and me told Simon that we may be able to arrange for them to be given FREE camera gear, at which Simon sort of gave a look of disbelief. Understandably so, because nothing like this has ever happened in the 8 years they have been on the road.

2ridetheworld was having a good time in Malaysia.

More to come.
    Last edited by nik huzlan; 02-12-11 at 00:36. Reason: add content

Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    ...my country is Kiltartan Cross, My countrymen Kiltartan's poor.......
    Nice one nik huzlan fairplay for putting it
    together and for getting the camera gear
    Travel is fatal to hatred, bigotry and prejudice.
    love n laughter

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    Nice one nik huzlan fairplay for putting it
    together and for getting the camera gear
    Time to put the record straight.

Handouts and sponsorship in one form or another were received by 2ridetheworld.

Their stay in Malaysia was free, and in what can only be said as luxurious environment. Most of the food they ate were also free. They had free transportation and Volkswagen Malaysia even lent them a demo car for a drive up Penang, an 800km round trip.

Their trip to Borneo was arranged by me and fully sponsored by Tourism Malaysia. Their two bikes were airfreighted to Sarawak and their stay there was free.

Simon then crashed into a pickup truck while touring Sarawak, and their bikes were brought home free too.
    They also collected contributions to fix their bikes from various donors, although the bike was fixed by Touratech.

Touratech not only paid for the Touratechbits that were destroyed but also paid for some BMW bits and pieces that needs replacement.

I have also arranged for them to have a sponsored stay at a resort in the Northern Malaysia state of Terengganu, a beautiful tropical paradise, but that is now on hold following what I saw happened to the Nikon deal.

I also introduced Simon to a riding buddy of mine who was producing a 3D Hollywood movie called Vikingdom, and Simon was given a part in it.
    He has been paid a fair amount for it as well.

I was made to understand Simon did very very well, better than some of the imported supporting cast. Did not surprise me as he is very camera friendly, and acting is his forte.

What came out as odd to me was the lack of frank information about their stay in Malaysia, and their subsequent return to the UK. Even till now, the whole story of their Malaysian experience seems sketchy.

A bunch of Malaysian friends of a friend who gave 2ridetheworld free accomodation for more than a few weeks rallied together and got him a Macbook Pro, which to me is substantial 'sponsorship' but the lack of mention for such a significant event, especially when one claims to ride the world on a shoestring seems rather curious.

I have met many other RTW Riders, of various Nationalities, and befriended a number as well, but Simon and Lisa are quite 'extraordinary'.

Hello Nik, Congratulations on your very substantial support for some fellow Gser's.

I can only imagine what it's like to receive such kindness when you're 'on the road'.

I suspect your post may generate some interesting replies.? Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by nik huzlan View Post
    Time to put the record straight.

Handouts and sponsorship in one form or another were received by 2ridetheworld.

Their stay in Malaysia was free, and in what can only be said as luxurious environment. Most of the food they ate were also free. They had free transportation and Volkswagen Malaysia even lent them a demo car for a drive up Penang, an 800km round trip.

Their trip to Borneo was arranged by me and fully sponsored by Tourism Malaysia. Their two bikes were airfreighted to Sarawak and their stay there was free.

Simon then crashed into a pickup truck while touring Sarawak, and their bikes were brought home free too.
    They also collected contributions to fix their bikes from various donors, although the bike was fixed by Touratech.

Touratech not only paid for the Touratechbits that were destroyed but also paid for some BMW bits and pieces that needs replacement.

I have also arranged for them to have a sponsored stay at a resort in the Northern Malaysia state of Terengganu, a beautiful tropical paradise, but that is now on hold following what I saw happened to the Nikon deal.

I also introduced Simon to a riding buddy of mine who was producing a 3D Hollywood movie called Vikingdom, and Simon was given a part in it.
    He has been paid a fair amount for it as well.

I was made to understand Simon did very very well, better than some of the imported supporting cast. Did not surprise me as he is very camera friendly, and acting is his forte.

What came out as odd to me was the lack of frank information about their stay in Malaysia, and their subsequent return to the UK. Even till now, the whole story of their Malaysian experience seems sketchy.

A bunch of Malaysian friends of a friend who gave 2ridetheworld free accomodation for more than a few weeks rallied together and got him a Macbook Pro, which to me is substantial 'sponsorship' but the lack of mention for such a significant event, especially when one claims to ride the world on a shoestring seems rather curious.

I have met many other RTW Riders, of various Nationalities, and befriended a number as well, but Simon and Lisa are quite 'extraordinary'.
    have I read this right
    love n laughter

11 years man thats gone fast, have I read this wright

have I read this right
    I think so, it doesnt make for good reading does it.

if you meet Adam on the road, he could do with a bath !

he came to one of the 1st Hograosts and got the taste for pork and BMWs

http://shortwayround.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/ShortWayRound

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
    I think so, it doesnt make for good reading does it.
    Yeah thats what i thought...
    Nik id say your best bet is to email
    Simon and Lisa and tell them how you feel.
    love n laughter

Yeah thats what i thought...
    Nik id say your best bet is to email
    Simon and Lisa and tell them how you feel.
    Already done that and got many creative replies. Anyway, Simon is doing well after he returned from UK. I was made to understand Simon came back to Malaysia with his sister, and Lisa is still recovering in the UK.

Touratech and a local motorcycle shop ( Sunny Cycle ) did an amazing job putting Simon's bike together. Simon posted the story in ADVrider forum. Strangely no mention here.....

Quote Originally Posted by nik huzlan View Post
    Already done that and got many creative replies. Anyway, Simon is doing well after he returned from UK. I was made to understand Simon came back to Malaysia with his sister, and Lisa is still recovering in the UK.

Touratech and a local motorcycle shop ( Sunny Cycle ) did an amazing job putting Simon's bike together. Simon posted the story in ADVrider forum. Strangely no mention here.....
    Nik, Simon hasnt been online here since the 4 Dec, maybe he just hasnt had the time .... it might be worth posting something similar on ADVrider forum so he see's it and replies to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
    Nik, Simon hasnt been online here since the 4 Dec, maybe he just hasnt had the time .... it might be worth posting something similar on ADVrider forum so he see's it and replies to you.
    Sorry Duchess disagree...
    Id just leave it here let them read it when they see
    it here, there is no rush.
    just my thoughts
    love n laughter

I've met many RTW'ders while living out here and helped a few out, had them stay, and rode with them. I don't expect anything back, thankyou is fine.

Does sound like Nik went above and beyond. But Malaysians are like that, that's why I love living here.

I just read some of Simon's blogs on AVRider, seems something fishy and messy going on regarding something that happened in Malaysia, I advise we all just stay out and let those involved sort it out, and I'd say this is not the place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
    I just read some of Simon's blogs on AVRider, seems something fishy and messy going on regarding something that happened in Malaysia, I advise we all just stay out and let those involved sort it out, and I'd say this is not the place for it.
    Agree... just read advrider,
    looks like nik already had his answer
    love n laughter

had a read on advrider, does seem a bit odd there is not 1 mention of MTA paying for the trip and transport of bikes to Borneo or any mention of the other freebies, or the film role, i assume the repairs at sunny were performed for free also?