Mac Book Pro... why?

Thinking of following the Macbook Pro route myself. I have an iPad2 and it's a nice toy, but the Macbook Pro is on a different level altogether.

They are eyewateringly expensive and my credit card is curling up at the thought, but they are beautiful pieces of kit! :thumb:thumb

if you don't need the connectivity of the MBP, or are not using processor intensive stuff like video editing much, have a look at the Airs ;)

Thinking of following the Macbook Pro route myself. I have an iPad2 and it's a nice toy, but the Macbook Pro is on a different level altogether.

They are eyewateringly expensive and my credit card is curling up at the thought, but they are beautiful pieces of kit! :thumb:thumb

I have one and an IPad and a 27" desktop Mac.

Once you've had Mac you never go back !!!! :)

I have one and an IPad and a 27" desktop Mac.
Once you've had Mac you never go back !!!! :)

Same here, iPad, iMac & Macbook Pro,
all share data happily on my NAS,
all talk to my Apple TV2,
all software just works,
no noisy fans,
no ugly boxes,
no blue screens,
no 10 minute boot up times,
no money after buying them all :D

if you don't need the connectivity of the MBP, or are not using processor intensive stuff like video editing much, have a look at the Airs ;)

I think it's a 15" Macbook Pro for me. It has the processing power and the 6770 1gb graphics power that I want, and it is more portable than a 17" model.

Now just need to take a deep breath and remove credit card from wallet.........!!!

You lot have a lot to answer for and I've lost nearly half a day of my life learning how to use my new Macbook Pro :D
Its a learning curve and I will need to get a grip on the bootcamp thing, or Ill have no Mapsource or Intuit Quicken; two bits of software that I cannot do without.

Why not use basecamp instead of Mapsource? It's native to mac and is said to be the future for mapsource.

Laptop just went belly-up - could probably fix it but not sure I can be bothered after talking to my son who's had a MacBookPro for a year.... now where's the piggy bank :augie
Cookie - my laptop was doing that trick really well before it gave up :D

You lot have a lot to answer for and I've lost nearly half a day of my life learning how to use my new Macbook Pro :D
Its a learning curve and I will need to get a grip on the bootcamp thing, or Ill have no Mapsource or Intuit Quicken; two bits of software that I cannot do without.
Then use BaseCamp, its crap obviously as is all Garmin software, but its only slightly more crap than Mapsource. Mapsource is no reason to boot into windows.

Plenty of good (and free) alternatives to Quicken, iBank, GnuCash etc. Quicken exists for mac oot thogh if you use one of the others ,you'd also have the opportunity to deny the thieving, scheming, money grabbing scumbags at Intuit some revenue:bounce1

Love a Macbook Air but it doesn't run the software I need and there's no point spending all that money and then buy Windows and then an emulator and then........ so unfortunately it's not on.

Love a Macbook Air but it doesn't run the software I need and there's no point spending all that money and then buy Windows and then an emulator and then........ so unfortunately it's not on.
What software won't it run?

Excel is the main offender. I know there is Excel for Mac and Open Office but neither of them are compatible enough (I drive it pretty hard) and neither support PowerPivot. There is also VT Transaction + and VT Final Accounts; not sure about Sage - haven't looked into that. Everything else I am sure I could find alternatives for.

MacbookPro 2 days old is driving me nuts with WiFi losing connection.My widows PC has a rock stable WiFi. NOT HAPPY. Ive just read 86 pages of other people complaining about this. Using Safari BTW. Going back in the box tomorrow if this continues:eek

Before I dis the product too much, it seems to be working OK today and currently downloading a huge Garmin map update, which in my experience will take 4 hrs. Installed Basecamp, as an alternative to the PC Mapsouce and await full mapping, then I can ride my bike again:D

MacbookPro 2 days old is driving me nuts with WiFi losing connection.My widows PC has a rock stable WiFi. NOT HAPPY. Ive just read 86 pages of other people complaining about this. Using Safari BTW. Going back in the box tomorrow if this continues:eek

dunno if this relates to your problem, but apple has just released an OS-X update that addresses a wireless issue :nenau

available via Software Update now.

info

Downloaded the update last night - took about 30 mins. It's fixed the issue of my external, digital USB soundcard only waking up when it's plugged in during boot. I can now plug it in whenever I like and it wakes up to stream an optical signal into my AV amp.

Back
Top Bottom