Mac Book Pro... why?

Well, this thread is a ‘Why" so now I’ll complete a personal experience after ONE weekof Macbook Pro 17” ownership:
Started with superb sales assistance, better than anything that I have experienced before in the personal computer world. I was SO impressed.
Order actioned in the salesman’s handheld Iphone device, which checked for stock, ordered dispatch,booked training package, booked intital setup and took my card for £2,500.
All of that from an Iphone device in a cradle
Courier arrived in the store with a beautiful box and then opened the package, pressed on, entered user names, logged me on to One to One training, gave me quick tuition and I departed. Up and running in 15 mins.
If this had been a PC, when switched on, there would be at least an hour delay of unzipping of compressed files, installation of all sorts of crap that you don’t want and possibly several re boots…. Unless things have changed since my last XP purchase?
I mention the box, because the entire package IS such a beautiful thing.
If you have never had any Apple devices before, you wont understand what I am talking about, because their packaging is a wondrous thing.

The MacbookPro is a marvel of sleek solid solid metal and you cannot fail to be motivated by the feel and wowed by the magnetic charging cable.

HOWEVER, after being blown away with the machine it has gone back for a full refund, under their excellent 14 day, non satisfied, money back guarantee……

Primary reason, Hours and hours wasted with pop3 and imap4 mailbox issues with my many Blueyonder mailbox accounts. They all access eventually, but are frustatingly slow and I mean deadly slow. Even Apple tech support gave up and said sorry that they could not help with my mailbox issues..Before you all get techy, I tried every combination of port settings, authentication settings that Blueyonder and Apple instructed with no improvement. I suspect that OSX 10 Lion Mail is just crap ? The net is full of people suffering pop3 issues

Secondary reason; Frequent loss of WiFi connection, in particular after standby. Again reported widely on the net and supposedly fixed with last nights 900Mb OSX update, which I updated. This morning I awoke the MacbookPro from Standby and guess what….no internet connection. That was the last straw. I called Apple support and they sent me an email suggesting what to do… but…

I’e had enough. I declined an exchange unit.

My 5yr old Compaq is rock stable on the net, it is blisteringly quick with email.I have decided to live with it for a while.

Undoubtedly, many of my problems could be sorted by better software than 'Mail' better browser than 'Safari', but hey, £2500 should buy the dogs bollocks :rob

The Apple store were very helpful, they also couldn’t fix the email issue and they also couldn’t print my store refund receipt for some other reason, not related to the Macbook.

Thank you for listening

I’e had enough. I declined an exchange unit.

Thats a shame Paul.:(

I went for the Macbook Air 13 a few weeks a few weeks ago, and its been nothing but brilliant.

All my email accounts were easy to setup (no Blueyonder though), and the iCloud service is fantastic.

My wifi connection has also beenrock solid.

And HD video editing is outstandingly fast as easy.

Maybe the internal architecture is different to the MBP’s, as the MBA’s are totally solid state.

Strange…. :confused:

Thats a shame Paul.
Indeed, and I have to say I'm not completly impressed by Lion so far. Its definitely slower on my MacPro, but not so on my MacBook.:nenau

It also made complete balls up of the install on my MacPro, but the MacBook install went without a hitch.

I am running Lion on 2 iMacs and definitely running faster on them. My Mail is linked to 10 different email providers and all seems to work fine. Occasionally problems with getting Freeserve mail but know that is not a MAC problem. Didn't however like the new layout in Lion Mail, so did go back to the classic view quite quickly.

I have have a Mac Air 13 as well got it in December with no problems on it. Mail works fine across 2 different accounts and wifi works spot on after standby.

This was my first Mac and I was amazed with the set up too, so much easier than windows. That said though I still have a windows pc for gaming don't think I'll be changing that as its too easy to upgrade the parts..

Have a big Mac and and a Mac air (ipad and iphone4) so yes like Apple.

About two years ago I set up my own business. Not long after I started using their products.:type
Odd wee hiccup now and then at the start, but can say in the main the Macs never miss a beat.

They ooze quality and even when switched off they are part of the decor.
I am fortunate that there is a nice Apple store in Aberdeen where I work, and if I have a query, or need to know how to do something I can pop in at lunch time, or after work and their customer care is just stunning.

I accept it costs more to purchase than a similar spec'd PC but there is something in the overall quality, support etc that justifies, in my mind, paying a bit extra up front.

Once you've tried a Mac you'll never go back.:rob

Just bought a MacBook Pro myself and currently loving it. Taking a while to get used to the whole Mac thing as i've been using a HP Pavillion 6500 for the past 5 years. Slowed down a lot over the years and the cup of tea over the keyboard finally finished it off.. Might get something back on the insurance but i'm very happy with the Mac for now..

my old macbook pro is sold and i'm hovering between replacing it with either another pro, or an air.

love the air, but i don't really need the portability. the pro is more versatile and has a better screen, but can't help thinking a very radical, air style, update can't be far away.

Cookie is pretty well on the money...

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_with_radically_redesigned_macbook_pros.html

Not all is rosy in the mac garden. The 10.7.3 update broke network printing. (canon & hp at least, according to my experience and research).

I'm holding off updating my work laptop a month or two now.

i've read that updating from the combo update, even over a pre-installed system update delta, sorts that out.
in fact, i've noticed that the system update is now a bigger 1.3Gb download, so i'm guessing apple are now just doling out the combo to everyone.

interesting article on laptops. think i'll hang on for a bit and see what happens. hate to say it, but i was playing with the air and pro side by side last week, and the previously sleek and gorgeous unibody pro is looking a little frumpy now :eek:

That fixed it... Might just do that in future rather than rely on System Update.

Owe you a pint.

I bought my eldest an 11.6" Air for university. Makes my Pro look massive in comparison. Both machines are nice, but hers is more practical to use daily.

I might Hackintosh my old eeepc netbook as a more portable option for myself.

interesting article on laptops. think i'll hang on for a bit and see what happens. hate to say it, but i was playing with the air and pro side by side last week, and the previously sleek and gorgeous unibody pro is looking a little frumpy now :eek:

well, i didn't wait long.

been using a 13" macbook pro from the apple refurb store for nearly 2 weeks now.
i decided i didn't need the ultra portability of the Air, so went with the more versatile MBP.

it's very nice :)

;) You made a wise decision on getting the mbp over the air.......don't get me wrong, air is a great machine but, really for those people who are always on the move, and I do mean always, not just commuting back / forth on a daily basis hence the weight / size.

As an aside - the whole Apple issue of losing / polling for wifi is beginning to annoy the hell out of me........

Back
Top Bottom