Quest mount

Maybe it is a good idea to let the Quest battery get drained every now and then.

Just leaving it on the kitchen table for a night with the backlight switched on, should do the trick I guess.

I also have bad experiences with laptop batteries. They are supposed to be high quality stuff too, but if you hardly ever use them they seem to be useless after a year or two.

Cheers,
Michel

Which bits and bobs would be required to butcher the existing cradle to fit onto the crossbar

shuck raider said:
Which bits and bobs would be required to butcher the existing cradle to fit onto the crossbar

Two small pipe clamps?

Or with a RAM mount you can do pretty much the same and have the flexibility to move it around.

Cheers,
Michel

With the batteries lasting so long on the Quest, I'm running mine without any power supply on the bike. Until someone brings out a reasonably priced mount with power leads, I've bought this for £1. It's a case for a Nokia 7650 from Carphone Warehouse cable tied to the cross brace....... Works for me ;) (for now).

Attachments

• garmin mount.jpg
    garmin mount.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 642
QUEST REVIEW

PanEuropean said:
Sherpa:

We're all waiting for your test results...

(Do a good writeup, because I know a lot of engineers at Garmin are following this thread with interest).

PanEuropean

Right then Pan and all other interested parties
here goes;

Had my unit a while now and been used extensively in my cars, van and on the bike (via a modified car mount with audio input to the Autocom - in both ears migsel!)

Used on some long trips and I have even got used to using the smaller, but well spaced buttons, with summer gloves on. It froze up once and I rebooted according to the booklet (power and zoom in buttons pressed together) that lost some of my settings but did get it running again.
Screen size is not a problem and if you don't have the datafields up then its no smaller than the SPC III with datafields on!!
Like the recalculate speeds and the general usefullness of all the various menus and editing options (many more than the SPC III)
Quality of the speaker in the car kit is sh** and this is born out by the fact that there is no distortion through the Autocom on full volume via the Garmin amp. in the power adaptor.

A great little unit and well impressed until....................................................................................................................................................................

today!!

when I came to switch on and nowt happened (thats Yorkshire for nothing Pan!)

Tried putting into the cradle when it normally powers on automatically and still nowt. Rang Garmin who suggested a couple of button pressing combinations and still nowt. "send it back please and we'll repair it" "repair it?" says I "its only 2 weeks old!" "We have to try and repair it first then if the technician says its unrepairable we'll replace it"

So off it goes in the morning - I'll keep you informed

Sherps :(

Hi Sherpa,

Isn't that the same problem Swooper had ?
My money's staying in me pocket for a while I think.

Mine's happy.

Only used in the car as I'm waiting for a RAM mount but so far it's proved to be an excellent piece of kit - makes the V look a little sad in comparison due to it's super-quick recalc and colour screen.

Voice is fine (no problems with speaker quality as mentioned above) and is a big hit with my wife who always criticised the V for having to look away from the road to see where to turn.

Now I've had time to use it I have to confess the colour screen is clearer than the mono of the V but I've yet to use it in sunlight on the bike - based on Richie's and others comments though, I'm sure it will be fine.

Having read the manual (good advice Pan) I've picked up two handy shortcuts:

1. Press and hold the FIND button to navigate home - it doesn't ask yes or no, just goes straight into calculating the route before giving directions.

2. Press and hold MENU to go straight to the Route Planner - this is handy as you have to hop around through the menus a bit otherwise.

I haven't fully got to grips with the route planning and adding in via points on the unit itself as I tend to plan in advance and do it all on the PC. I should really practice though as adding in detours or even completely new routes/destinations whilst touring is no longer a problem with the 243Mb memory for maps.

I don't have any plans to use the voice function on the bike (no autocom) and the RAM mount should suffice providing the antenna is supported. Just need to remember to take the charging cradle otherwise it's all over at 20 hours.

If I find anymore clever tricks / quirks I'll post them up.

Adam :)

Mine too, just arrived this week and I'm still at the fiddling about stage, but looks like it will do all I want it to do. I'm pondering about where and how to mount it on the bike, probably on the crossbar as like some others, I'm not bothered about external powers sources just yet.

Anybody try using the car suction mount on the inside of their windscreen as a temporary measure?? I offered it up and it sticks there OK, but haven't been out for a run yet, suspect the vibration may dump it off

I do not recommend you use a suction cup mount on a motorcycle. If the suction cup falls off the inside of a car windscreen, the GPSR lands on the dashboard. If it falls off the inside of a moto windscreen, the GPSR lands on the road. Do the math.

PanEuropean

I briefly tried the suction mount on the inside of my Adv screen - it lasted about 5mins as it vibrated so much I couldn't see the screen. I had visions of it falling off (although the grip of the sucker was very strong) & so arranged the mobile phone cover as a temp measure.

Paul Young said:
I briefly tried the suction mount on the inside of my Adv screen - it lasted about 5mins as it vibrated so much I couldn't see the screen. I had visions of it falling off (although the grip of the sucker was very strong) & so arranged the mobile phone cover as a temp measure.

The mobile phone cover seems like a neat temporary idea. How'd you manage to get the antenna to poke through the cover without dismantling the whole thing?

Amazing things, scissors......;)

I just cut a slot down the back of the case, about 5cmlong & 0.5cm wide. Open the antenna & insert into the case. The elasticated sides allow enough "give" to be able to insert it OK.

I've just ordered a Marine mount for the Quest as this comes with the bare wire connectors to hardwire into the bike. I also ordered the RAM fittings to attach to the h/bars & when they arrive, I'll decide whether to mount the marine one or the car one I already have. My Quest came with a car mount & another one attached to the charger. A T5 torx screw is all that holds the connector in the mount & so I can swap them around - put the marine mount onto the charger & take the charger mount & fit it onto the bike...... if you can see what I mean.

Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm thinking along the same lines re the marine mount and RAM bits

wheras i bought the cycle mount from maplin added the lead from the charger mount via a switch and fuse to the battery and all is hunky dory.:)

I thought about that, as well. But I want a mains charger, so I didn't want to cut off the transformer to wire it to the battery, & the marine mount was cheaper than another car mount or mains charger.

i put a connector close to the cycle mount so that i can move it from the bike and onto a similar connector on the mains charging plug:)

yellowwolf said:
and all is hunky dory.:)

spoke too soon, my unit like swooper and sherpa's before me has gone belly up (no power)
does anybody know if swooper and sherpa's have been sorted?
and how?
has anybody elses quest died? :confused:

Apart from the all the dying Quests how is everyone getting on with their Garmin mounts? Are they strong enough to keep hold of the unit once on the move?

I've now sold my V so am keen to get a temporary mount before the RAM cradle appears. Cheapest option would appear to be a cycle mount bolted to the RAM ball. yellowwolf Is this working ok? Does the antenna stay in place?

TIA

Adam :)

while the quest was working i had no problems with the cycle mount even when "making progress" over speed humps and bumping up kerbs. :)

Back
Top Bottom