Quest mount

MiGSel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last Saturday I helped David (aka Rabbitson) install a newly acquired never-get-lost-again Quest on his 1100.

As there is no bike cradle available yet, we used the car cradle.

A RAM ball with diamond base was screwed to the back of it. Then it was mounted on top of some tossers speedo mount and there you go:

Quest01.jpg

Quest02.jpg

Quest03.jpg

The fit in the car cradle is quite snug, but for added peace of mind, we put a rubber band around the assembly, between the display and the buttons (doesn't show on the pics).

To connect it all, we did this:

* open up the speaker box

FOR POWER
* remove the cigar lighter plug
* solder two wires to the wires that went into the plug = new power cable
* connect the power wires, using a 1 amp inline fuse

FOR AUDIO
* strip the wires going into the speaker
* solder two wires to those = new audio cable
* solder an audio plug to the new audio cable

When all this was done (and some aux lights installed in between) we tested the audio connection and I found the nice lady speaking in my left ear only. We didn't have enough time to find out what the problem was, but I'm sure it can be fixed simply.

David got on his GS at midnight, with a two hour ride to Amsterdam ahead. So he had plenty of opportunity to test his new lights & gps. And guess what: he didn't get lost! :D

Cheers,
Michel

Good job Michel, actually the elastic band isn't necessary. I haven't used it all so far.

Who's is the scruffy old heap?

Ah . . . . it's mine.

Quest Mount

Looks good - a few q's

Did you have to butcher the car mount much to attach the Ram ball?

How secure is the connection for the power at the gps unit end?

IIRC there were issues with that design of power connector with intermittent contacts when travelling over rough ground. I know the Quest has an internal battery but if its in charge mode and the power is lost for a second, does the unit still function?

Any comments about the Quest in general.

1) Did you have to butcher the car mount much to attach the Ram ball?
Only drilled two holes through the back of it. So it's quite usable afterwards, if you'd like to remove the RAM ball. But I would use it on a RAM mount in the car too I think, instead of that suction mount.

2) How secure is the connection for the power at the gps unit end?
Looks OK to me. No real testing done yet...

3) I know the Quest has an internal battery but if its in charge mode and the power is lost for a second, does the unit still function?
You can set it to keep going or switch off in case external power is lost. We set it to stay on of course. Maybe David can set it to "switch off" instead, then he can see whether it loses power at some point or not.

4) Any comments about the Quest in general.
Cool little unit! I like the looks, the size & weight, the display, the speed, the memory size. And the price! Not so great: screen & button size.

Michel's thread I know, but I can answer your questions:

The car cradle is modified in as much as that it has two holes drilled in the back of to fit the countersunk screws on which the RAM mount fits. I would be possible to still use it for a car, but you would need to re-attach part of the arm that is originally supplied with it, this would be alright to do once or twice, but not very convenient if you want to do it regularly and as the cradle bracket is only plastic, it would break eventually I'm sure if you did that.

The connection seems to be good for the GPS at the end unit, no complaints so far. I imagine that you would have to be careful if the cradle had been outside in the rain and you plugged the GPS back into it (as it might short out the connection?) No complaints as far as the connection is concerned so far though, although I would restrain the unit in the cradle if I were ridinng off road.

There don't seem to be any problems with the connection as when the unit is disconnected from the cradle it just goes straight onto the battery (much like when you unplug the power cord of a notebook, i.e. no interuption of service)

The quest unit seems to be very good, the screen size is not as big as the 276 (it's about 1/3 the size) but I find it very clear and well lit (the resolution and brightness are the same as the 276, just the screen is smaller).

For me the extra handy size of the quest is excellect as I am frequently in the city and need to take the GPS off and put it in my pocket, it definitely scores well over the 276C and 2610 for this, It doesn't have some of the features of the 276C (and the 2610 has quite a few more and more detailed maps) but the quest is an excellent unit and if you want something handy and (relatively) good value, then you won't be disappointed.

HTH,

David

Thanks for the quick responses gents.
It's looking good so far - especially if the PC World price info is valid...

Simon

Nice pictures, good engineering, great write-up - thanks, Michel.

FYI Ram makes a slightly shorter extension arm - it is 1.5 inches long, rather than 3 inches long as is the one shown in your pictures. These extension arms are very cheap, you may wish to experiment using the 1.5 inch long one - not only would this bring the GPSR down closer to the instruments, and improve handlebar clearance, it would allow you to tilt it back a bit more, thus flattening out the antenna a bit. The closer you get that antenna to being parallel with the ground, the better your satellite reception will be.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the overall suitability of the Quest for motorcycle use. I still have not seen one (I'm currently using a 296). I think this little gizmo (Quest) might be a real "killer" GPSR for riders who don't need more than 240 megs of map storage. I practice this means just about anyone who is not doing cross-continent touring.

PanEuropean

Certainly have :D

Where do you want to go this year sir:

England, Holland, Belgium, Lux, France, Germany, Andorra, Spain, Denmark and Norway.

I'm lovin it :D

GPS should save me some petrol money getting lost!

I was just checking out the Garmin site & they specify a marine mount with power supply & bare wires for wiring into a boat's electrics.

Presumably, this would be suitable for modification to fit a RAM mount & leave the car one for the car. I think the only difference would be the poss lack of voice guidance but, as I always wear earplugs, this wouldn't bother me.

Any thoughts?

010-10506-00.jpg

Quest price!

simonm

Talk to David at Rainbow about the Quest - me and Swooper have just purchased at £395

Looks like a cracking unit although I've only had it for 6 hours as I type

Full test to be done this weekend in Scotland

Sherps;)

Re: Quest price!

sherpa said:

Full test to be done this weekend in Scotland

So, how did it work out? Interested, because I think I'm about ready to order a Quest

I don't know about Sherpa, but Rabbitson certainly likes the Quest.

He's got so much many more hours in a day now :D

He gets around Amsterdam without getting lost and I witnessed him driving from A'dam to Apeldoorn without one problem.

I think if you can live with the rather small screen and ditto buttons, the Quest is a great unit.

Cheers,
Michel

Ditto what Migsel says, I'm well pleased.

I have been using it for about 2 weeks now (with the 'custom' mount :)) and can't fault it.

From finding locations in Amsterdam centre to finding locations in unknown cities, it seems really good so far.

The buttons are a bit small for gloved use, but it is possible and it's well worth the sacrifice for a unit that fits in your pocket so easily.

The screen is quite small (the same size as a 60C I think) but I have no problems reading it, and again having a smaller physical size is way more useful for a unit like this.

It's pay your money, take your choice really but the quest is excellent for what I need, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one.

Thanks, guys, I think Santa can be persuaded to make an early delivery this year :D

Sherpa:

We're all waiting for your test results...

(Do a good writeup, because I know a lot of engineers at Garmin are following this thread with interest).

PanEuropean

PanEuropean said:
Sherpa:

We're all waiting for your test results...

(Do a good writeup, because I know a lot of engineers at Garmin are following this thread with interest).

PanEuropean

In that case can you ask them to do a software patch for the 60C and CS so we can use them rotated to the right 90° could be interesting...

Will not power up?

I have had the Quest now for approx 2 week and compared with the SP III it certainly has many advantages in terms of processing speed and portability.

I was initially unsure as to the practicality of the small screen size on a big twin whilst making “good progress” but am pleased to say there does not seem to be a problem apart from the antenna "flapping" a little in the breeze. This should be easily enough to sort.

However, whilst out in the car the unit refused to power up after in had been turned off in my pocket for an hour or so.

I spoke to a very nice techy in Romsey but, despite various bits of telephone diagnosis, the unit refused to play ball. The unit is now back with Garmin for repair or replacement.

I used the SP III extensively and hoped to continue this with the Quest. I am looking forward to this problem being resolved promptly and will keep you advised via this tread.

Anyone else experience similar problems.

No problems with mine, the unit seems to be functioning well.

One thing that I am a little concerned about though is battery, the unit sits in the cradle on my GS and is permanently powered while the bike is running.

I believe this unit has a lithium battery (like a laptop) but if you leave a laptop permanently charging the battery deteriorates.

It's not a big deal for me really as I only anticipate using the unit on the bike, but just thought I'd mention it as I know that other units (such as the 2610) don't have there own battery so some of you may not be aware of this problem.

David

Should be a Lion battery so thats not a problem. Or at least thats what I believe...

Now its getting colder It'd be interesting to see how the battery holds out...

With the 60C in cold weather using the batteries aint that good an idea.

Back
Top Bottom